What's new

George Romero's Martin? (1 Viewer)

Paul Strilka

Stunt Coordinator
I see this has been re-released with a huge price drop.
Improved re-master picture? Any reviews?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I asked for a screener but haven't gotten it yet. With this type of title it usually takes me a couple weeks after the release date to get it but I will post a review once it arrives.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
This is a newly remastered print with a new audio commentary. I haven't had a chance to do a comparison yet though. Also, the new version is presented in 16:9 widescreen.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I have searched & searched for this and only find the old AB version, who is re-releasing this & when? If it is already out then where is it for sale?

AHHH...Never mind, it's Artisan.....*oh*......never mind...it's Artisan....:frowning:

Well we'll see.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

If I'm not mistaken, MARTIN was shot in 16mm and is in Academy aspect ratio. I know it had a limited theatrical release at the time and may have been matted somewhat for that, but isn't the preferred ratio 1.33:1 or 1.37:1?

If this new DVD is widescreen, what ratio is it in? Sounds like it may be a case of faux widescreen. I'm interested in hearing a review of this new disc and the extras and will probably pick it up, but if they've matted the film unnecessarily, I'm glad I held on to the old Anchor Bay release.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I think Romero said the AR was indeed 1:33:1 on the AB commentary...but don't hold me to that because Knightriders was also presented in this ratio and it was released two years after Dawn Of The Dead which as far as I know had an AR of 1:85.....why would he go back to a 1:33:1 AR in 1981?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

He didn't. Knightriders is 1.85:1 on the Anchor Bay DVD. And, yes, Romero explains on the AB disc of Martin that he prefers that film to be seen in Academy. It's a shame that the new disc is apparently in widescreen if Romero didn't supervise/approve it.

DJ

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
DOH!! It sure is 1:85......my my it has been a long time since I played that DVD.:b

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
I eagerly await any reviews of this, as my Anchor bay copy got stolen a while back. This is the one disc I've not been able to replace to my satisfaction as the AB disc has been out of print for a long time. This is my last hope as I was going to get the R2 Arrow release, as it's 1.33 but doesn't have the Romero/Savini commentary.

Please let it be good!

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
Good old Lions Gate/Artisan, you can never go wrong with a release from them...;)

Funny, isn't Lions Gate/Artisan the company that releases just about every horror movie they have open matte?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The funny thing is that some were unhappy with the 4:3 transfer on the first one. The film was shown widescreen in theaters, ala Kubrick, so some didn't buy the AB release. Perhaps they'll buy this one now. :)

Poor ol' Lions Gate. They usually release open matte but with this they think they are doing the right thing when it turns out to be the wrong thing. :D

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
Question about the framing. In the screen shot people are chopped out of the picture. Was this how it looked in theaters or did it sort of Pan and scan up and down?

Paul Strilka

Stunt Coordinator
How could Romero and the others all sit in the same room- record a commentary and not mention the botched transfer??

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
For all we know they were watching an open matte version.

Jeez, not only is the new transfer badly framed but the image itself look like crap....glad I have the AB version.

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
Arrow 4:3 version it is then (cheap in the UK at £6.99 ). As for the commentary track, is it definitely different from the old AB track, as I remember Savini and Romero in that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks