***George Romero's Bruiser - dvd review***

Discussion in 'DVD' started by SteveGon, Oct 15, 2001.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Okay, time to put my meager critical facilities to use. I just watched the dvd edition of George Romero's Bruiser. It's not a great film, or even a very good one, but it is Romero's best work in years. The film stars Jason Flemyng (The Red Violin) as milquetoast Henry Creedlow, cheated on by his wife, belittled by his boss (Peter Stormare, Fargo), and betrayed by his long-time best friend. Than one morning, Henry wakes up to find that he has no face - it's been replaced by a featureless white mask. Apparently, his years of acquiescense have robbed him of his identity. Henry takes advantage of this newfound anonymity to not only stand up for himself, but to seek revenge on those who have wronged him. At times, Bruiser seems like your run-of-the-mill revenge pic (and the box art makes it look like a slasher flick), but Romero does manage to infuse it with some suspense. There are also several shocking flourishes - the one in the train station made me wince! The characters in Bruiser are pretty straightforward. I wish Romero had fleshed them out a bit more. As it is, it's pretty easy to distinguish the good guys from the bad. This movie would have been more interesting if the bad guys hadn't been so easy to hate.
    On the technical side, the dvd looks ok to me though I'm certainly no expert on transfers, etc. This is a Lions
    Gate Films release. Bruiser is letterboxed at what looks to be an aspect ratio of 1.85:1 - I don't know if the transfer is anamorphic or not as I don't have a 16X9 tv. Sorry about that, but there are no real specs on either the box or the dvd. That said, the movie looks decent considering it's a low-budget affair. Romero isn't known for glossy productions anyway. The Dolby 2.0 track is about the same - decent, but nothing spectacular. Extras include a Romero commentary which I have yet to listen to, a selection of trailers for Bruiser and other Lions Gate films, and a Misfits music video (if you like the band, I guess you'll like the video). English and Spanish subtitles are available.
    I'll give Bruiser **1/2 out of ****. It's certainly worth a rental (good luck finding it, though) if you like Romero's work.
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

2. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

Anyone know if this is anamorphic?

3. Matt Rexer

Matt Rexer Stunt Coordinator

4. Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber Supporting Actor

I really enjoyed it, but could have done without that last "shock" scene. I thought it weakened the resolution and message.

5. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

Thanks! Will be picking this up then on the next round of orders![​IMG]