What's new

George Reeves' Superman on DVD (1 Viewer)

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
The only DVD of the Superman catoons from the 40's to get that is the most complete and has the best sound and picture quality is "The Complete Superman Collection-Diamond Anniversary."
It's only $5.86 with free shipping at DeepDiscountDVD, using the USATODAY 20% off coupon (expires 12/05/03).

Link

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Superman cartoons set may be cheap, but WB has access to the original negatives in UCLA's film & TV archive.

We really should pressure WB into creating new elements from the sequential negatives so that they can release their own DVD.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Well it looks like fans of this show (I am one also) may have their wish. I copied this from the Superman yahoo group run by Superman scholar Jim Nolt (although the posting is from someone other than Jim):

"Doug Pratt's DVD-LaserDisc Newsletter reported that an official ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN DVD set is in the works at Warners and will be coming out either this year or next."

That's all the details that were shared. Obviously this hasn't been confirmed by Warners yet. Maybe another HTF member has more information.

There were 104 episodes produced sporadically throughout the 1950s. I would love to see all of them come out eventually.

Steve

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Someone sent that to me a few days ago and I emailed Warner Bros about it. Their response was that it won't be out in 2004, but made no mention of 2005.

Gord

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't pass this show up if it were released on DVD, I'm too young to have seen this in its original run, but thanks to the wonder that is nick at nite I got hooked on this show fairly soon after first watching it.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Count me in too on wanting this set. It would be yet another great addition to what we've seen in 2004 as far as older classics being released! 6 months ago I was lamenting to Gord via email how sad it was that most of the older shows didn't look like they'd ever see the light of DVD day, and now... BAM!

It's like someone turned on the water spout and it's just gushing out classics!

This series is a must, and I'd quickly snatch it up the day it came out.

Gary "I'm continually thankful for this site" OS

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I remember being enthralled by this series as a kid. And, as an adult, the few times I've caught it, it brought back some very intense nostalgia.

Remember the little alien guys crawling up through an (oil?) pipeline from the center of the earth? Man, did that one stick with me all these years. :D I still remember how relieved I was when, at the end, they sealed the line closed.

In my book, George Reeves will always be Superman.

Jon

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Remember the little alien guys
Superman and The Mole Men!

I've got a framed repro one sheet of the theatrical version of this two part episode hanging in my computer room.

This is one of the few shows from my childhood that has actually held up fairly well for me. Yes, I know it's camp, but it's so camp that it is cool! I hate to say it, but I think the mystery surrounding the death of George Reeves (the ideal Superman for me also) has probably contributed greatly to this show attaining cult classic status.

George was a decent movie actor too. I loved him in "Dead Men Tell", one of my favorite Charlie Chan movies although he winds up as one of the murder victims in that movie.

Steve

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
There is a biography of George Reeves in the works. I read about it a year or two ago. Kyle Machlachlan (sp?) was reportedly campaigning very hard for the part and had even submitted his own demo tape. I think he would be an excellent choice.

Anyway, judging by how long ago I read about it, I would guess the film would be released sometime this year. The DVD release of the series would be a nice tie-in.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
I have to disagree about George Reeves being the best Superman. For me, Christopher Reeve is the actual Superman. He's the only actor that made the character seem and feel very real. But this is not a thread about Christopher Reeve.

Anywho, I'd definitely buy The Adventures of Superman: Complete First Season on DVD. There were only four or five seasons right?

JeffT.

Deceased Member
"Warner Bros recently emailed press attending the TCA event in LA this Jan (2005) about some upcoming TV DVD releases that are being promoted as part of their Warner 50th Anniversary celebration, and THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN was mentioned in the list. In fact, it was the only title in the list that hasn't already been announced by the studio, so we wonder if an official announcement could be coming within a matter of weeks. Though the title is still in the 'rumor' stage at this point we thought we would share the good news."--Gord Lacey, TV Shows on DVD.

I have to admit having access to the entire first season (1951) of 26 half-hour black-and-white episodes produced under Robert Maxwell (Toronto-born sometime in 1910 - February 03rd, 1971) is certainly a very exciting prospect indeed. I dare say that most of us here have been waiting all our lives for a such a benediction. Thank goodness that at least some vestages of sanity prevails nowadays in DVD releases. Who needs cable tv anymore? YUCK!

Thankfully some things are (seemingly) coming our way!

THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN STARRING GEORGE REEVES RULES!!!!!

Jeff T.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I have to admit having access to the entire first season (1951) of 26 half-hour black-and-white episodes produced under Robert Maxwell (Toronto-born sometime in 1910 - February 03rd, 1971) is certainly a very exciting prospect indeed.
Indeed it is. Would love to see Warner give this the full treatment, with documentaries and/or commentaries. Either way, I will be looking forward to it. I hope this means good things for the release of the 1966 Batman series too.

Oh, and with the recent news of a Flash movie being produced, I think we'll see the 1990 Flash series on DVD before long.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
This is the best news on the planet as far as DVD releases go. I can't believe this show hasn't been released yet! Each episode of that first season was more like 26 minute movies, they were so well done! Now we can only hope WB does give us the full treatment. You know both Lois Lanes and Jimmy Olson (from The Adventures of Superman) are still alive and well. It would be more than spectacular if they would ask them to do commentaries on a few episodes, as well as use them for a retrospective documentary on the making of this classic! We can only hope WB is listening!

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
I always thought that somehow this show would never be released becuase there are so many other shows out there in demand.

I'm thankful for the news of this release. Truly, I am.

I would love to see this set get the amount of special features that only the Simpsons would get. You know, real V.I.P. treatment.... but, since it's a Classic TV show, I doubt it.

Seems to me that the Classic TV sitcoms and dramas are the ones that are greeted with the boot.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
The first season was by far the best, much different from the kiddie show it became in later years. And Phyllis Coates was a great Lois Lane. She had a lot of spunk and wasn't just the damsel in distress that Noel Neill was. I'll buy them all but first season was almost another show.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
http://www.sharemation.com/markscifi...pg?uniq=o89tpn

'It's men like you who make it difficult for people to understand one another!"--Superman (George Reeves) from SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN (1951) screenplay by Richard Fielding (Robert Maxwell), directed by Lee Sholem.

George Reeves (January 05th, 1914 - June 16th, 1959) was the best Superman (and Clark Kent for that matter) by far!

Just look at the stunning picture (posted above) from the first season (1951) with the Man of Steel slugging-it-out with "Big" Ed Bullock (Al Eben) and one of his thugs in "Crime Wave" (20/02/1953).

This is the real crimefighting Superman in action!

It's been said before a zillion times (with great validity) but they just don't make tv like this anymore...and haven't for quite some time now! Thank goodness that there's an older generation of television fans out there to still remind a younger mentality weaned only on contemporary programming just how good tv shows used to be...and produced at but a fraction of today's astronomically-inflated costs!

I like both Phyllis Coates and Noel Neill (who for a long time was more familiar to me) in the role of Lois Lane and both work effectively well in the part. Ms. Neill brought a (much) warmer and lighter touch to her interpretation and was better suited to the occasional (and entertaining) lapses into pure humour on the tv series.

Ms. Coates would be more appropriate to obtain for some interviews and audio commentary pertaining to the first season efforts and hopefully Jack Larson's services will also similarly be secured in such an undertaking.

One thing's for certain veteran film and television character actor John Hamilton (January 16th, 1886 - October 15th, 1958) is certainly the finest Perry White that ever appeared on film ("Don't call me Chief!").

The second season (1953-54) with 26 half-hour black-and-white episodes are also strong and impressive shows in their own right (ie. "Panic in the Sky," "Superman In Exile" and 'A Ghost for Scotland Yard") but overall I like the entire series (104 episodes) and am certainly looking forward to seeing this popular tv classic (of several generations) finally made available in (hopefully) high quality DVD collections.

The I LOVE LUCY (CBS 1951-57) segment "Lucy and Superman" (January 14th, 1957) will undoubtedly be featured in an upcoming DVD collection of this other durable 1950s tv classic.

I'd also like to see the theatrical feature film SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN (1951) marking George Reeves' first appearance as the Man of Steel somehow worked into the package as well.

BRING ON THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN TO DVD IN 2005!

Jeff T.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Noel Neill, on the other hand, dumbed the character down and, in fact, acted down to the audience like the show was Romper Room or something. And that shocking red hair...!
Just in case you didn't know, it was Noel Neill who originated the character of Lois Lane on film (in the Superman serials), so I doubt it was she who "dumbed the character down). It was the sponsors who wanted the show to go from adult oriented to more childlike. As for Phyllis Coates, while I agree that she brought forth a more powerful interpretation of the character, I always considered her version of Lois to be (what in today's world would be considered) a "bitch". That's not to say I don't appreciate Ms. Coate's version of the character, I do. Her Lois made for good competition at the Daily Planet. However, by the same token, I can't imagine Clark OR Superman ever being in love or even having a crush on Phyllis Coate's' Lois. I do enjoy the first season of The Adventures of Superman alot, and maybe even consider it the best in the series. However, later on in the show, when the episode "The Wedding of Superman" came about, there is no way I could ever consider Phyllis Coates in the part of Lois and have it be a believable story in my eyes. The only Lois I ever had a crush on was Noel Neill.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks