George Plimpton - RIP

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick Sun, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Thanks for this Patrick. I remember reading that Sports Illustrated story and I did not figure out until I was almost finished with the story that is was an April Fools joke. :b

RIP George.

3. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Oh man, rest in peace, George. To be honest I don't think I've read any of his writings. The way I'm familiar with George Plimpton is that he used to sell Intellivisions back in the day. He was their spokesman.

[​IMG]

4. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

My experience with George Plimpton, was that he was the host of Mouseterpiece Theater when I was kid in the infancy of the Disney Channel. It was a great program that showed all of the classic Disney cartoons... the sole reason I now am purchasing the great Walt Disney Treasures sets. It was a great primer long before the days of the Ink and Paint Club.

Lately, he was plying his great talents in several of the great Nero Wolfe episodes on A&E. I've never read any of his writings, but on his acting merits alone, he will be missed.

5. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

7. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

It's possible. Back in the late 70's and early 80's Plimpton was all over the TV either pitching products or on talk shows. He was much more of a celebrity back then.

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

This Schweppes thing was more recently...well more recently meaning early 90's. I remember one commercial where he had a neon sign of the Schweppes logo behind him and had problems turning it on [​IMG]

And who could forget his appearance on the Simpsons as the Spelling Bee judge.