What's new

George P. Cosmatos dies. (1 Viewer)

CoreyII

Second Unit
The director of Rambo:First Blood Pt. 2, Cobra, and Tombstone died of lung cancer at the age of 64. I don't know what many of you thought about his work, but I especially liked Rambo 2 and Tombstone. Cobra was also a fun flick to watch.

I went back about 30 days on the forum and didn't see any posts on Cosmatos, so I decided to start one. If one already exists then I apologize for being repetitive.

With Rambo and Tombstone, I think Cosmatos made and exemplary mark on the action and western genre.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I agree completely. Tombstone is a terrific film all around as is Rambo Pt 2. Although alot of people dismiss the latter as a mindless blood and gore bullet fest, it is meticulously and expertly directed. Not to mention one of the best Goldsmith scores in his impressive body of work.

CoreyII

Second Unit
Hey Kain, I agree completely. It seems to be the in-thing to bash Sly Stallone and his films, this forum has done it quite often.

Rambo: First Blood Pt. 2 is arguably the defining action movie of the 80's and I would say it is the father of the modern day action film.

Many would argue that it is Die-Hard or even Lethal Weapon, two excellent movies in their own right but if it wasn't for the success of First Blood Pt. 2, I don't think there would have ever been a Die Hard or Lethal Weapon.

Over the years I have read many post claiming how excellent Die Hard is and many times at the expense of Rambo. Yet in my opinon I think the Rambo films are far more plausible than the Die Hard films. Afterall how many times can one guy keep running into terrorists.

There are some who would say that the original is more the definitive modern day action movie, but I believe that if Rambo had never been made, then First Blood would just be relegated to the status of a cult action movie, something along the lines of Scarface or Roadhouse. The success of Part 2 elevated the status of the original which Cosmatos didn't direct.

Rambo III which also wasn't directed by Cosmatos is nevertheless an excellent action film and is often treated as the Bastard child of the Rambo series.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
The Cassandra Crossing (1976)

Any movie with Sophia Loren, Burt Lancaster and Ava Gardner needs to be mentioned.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Sad news. Cosmatos came close to having the most popular film of 1985 with Rambo II, a huge success back then, but was beaten by Back to the Future.
The endlessly quotable Tombstone, was a hit in 1993, one of my favorite westerns.

RIP George. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks