George O'Leary: GONE as ND coach

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Well, that didn't last long.

2. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Wow, that's news to me! Maybe that is the real story. Notre Dame is an upstanding institution, and his lying about playing college football may have been enough. I know Notre Dame was put under the microscope for not hiring Tyrone Willingham from Stanford, but this isn't the first time this issue has been raised in sports. I don't want to discuss that matter further.

4. ToddMS

ToddMS Stunt Coordinator

you would have never guessed how shocked I was when I woke up this morning and my friend down the hall told me the news about O'Leary...I cannot understand how a man can go from being "the right fit at this special place" to "breaking a bond of trust" in less than a week. One thing is for sure, ND better get a a freaking great coach- Don Shula caliber or so, and WIN, to gain any type of respect back from both the fans and the students.

Todd

5. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

So much for "the luck of the Irish!" Where's the Gipper when they need him? [​IMG]

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The funny thing is what if Ralph Fridgen (of Maryland) hired George to be the defensive coordinator? [​IMG]
    I wonder if Ga Tech will take O'Leary back (the precedence has been set when GT took back Bobby Cremins after he accepted the South Carolina job, and then changed his mind - I wished Bobby would have stayed at South Carolina because I think he set the program back by 4 years when he came crawling back).

7. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

How dare someone hold him to a higher standard than the Pres. of the USA.

8. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I (and many other Tech alums) don't want him back. Its like taking back a SO after they were cheating. You just can't ever trust them again.

So I wonder if ND is still having to pay him the buyout clause in the contract. Whoops, there goes another 1.5 million!

I think Charlie Strong would be an excellent hire; a great coach who has great defensive roots; if he doesn't get a head coaching job this year, I'd be surprised if he didn't go to the NFL as a DC.

9. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

10. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

God I hope they hire Ty Willingham from Stanford! Then they can stop kicking UCLA's ass...:p)

11. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Tech will probably keep the buyout money from ND, after all they're probably going to have to buyout the contract of another coach to replace O'Leary. Tech has announced that they will not be taking O'Leary back.

12. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Tech gets the $1.5 mil from ND. As a GT alum, I don't want O'Leary back at all. The really sad thing is that a UGA grad is currently the head coach!

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, GT hired Bill Lewis, who also worked as an assistant coach at UGA. I'd almost blocked out the memories of those horrible Bill Lewis seasons... Ugh.

14. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

No way they would fire him over that

I'd bet to differ, but this is a college we are talking about, not an NFL team or some company. A pro-team would probably only care about results. But lying on your resume about educational degrees is a huge mistake in any college setting.

Atlanta Journal Constitution says that Tech won't take him back.

15. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

The new Tech coach appears to be Chan Gailey from the Miami Dolphins; hopefully he won't bring Bill Lewis back with him!