George Lucas talks about Star Wars DVDs on Dark Horizons

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Floto, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

Here's what was said...

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I highly doubt that the sales between a bare-bones movie only disk will sell less than a package-deal. Just give us the movies....nothing else. Then, at a later date, put out your package deal set for those who want it. Simple. The only reason he won't is because they now have to superseed TPM disk, lots of extras, deleted scenes and much more. Yep, here's waiting until 3001.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Now that we've had the TPM disc for a while, do you guys think the wait was worth it? Whenever the DVD was mentioned, that was always the statement. "It will be worth the wait." While I think it's a great disc, IMO, I'd rather have had a barebones disc day & date with the VHS, with the SE to follow.

Don't even get me started on his continual butchery of his own films. I suspect its a lame attempt to relive the success of his past.

-Dave

4. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

TPM worth the wait??? Well since there are a few GREAT discs out there that have tons of extras and are also reference material and include a 5 star film on top of the extras then it falls a little short.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

My parents have this disc (TPM) and when I was there for the holidays (4 days) I was never even tempted to look at disc 2...

To be fair, I don't look at too many SE contents. I like commentaries the best.

6. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer

There is more to this story.
    From reports that seem to come from reliable sources,
    Lucas is fixing a few more of the special effects,
    for example, when Obi-Wan vanishes, AND is adding
    in a few scenes to make the whole six part series
    seem more complete.
    Yes, I suppose I am a revisionist, but I am happy
    with the changes he is making, with the exception
    of the Han/Greedo scene.
    I would love it if:
    1) He would make the emperor the same man (Ian)
    in the hologram in ESB as he is
    in the rest of the series. Ian's voice and
    articulation are so distictive, that to NOT
    have them there, but instead some weird almagamation
    of a monkey's eyes and latex brow ridge with
    another actor's voice is just out of place.
    2) Jabba's CGI scene in ANH
    would be redone, since it looks really awful.
    3) The Rancor scene in ROTJ
    needs all the matte lines removed,
    and the tones matched/corrected...it looks about
    as realistic as the rear projection scenes in
    1950's shlock films.
    4) Lucas remodifies the shot of Vader returning to
    his Super Star Destroyer in ESB since
    the alternate angle shot of Vader arriving on the
    second Death Star in that scene does NOT effectively
    work as a double for it.
    Having said all this, I do hope he follows SS's lead,
    (for the DVD(s) of E.T.)
    and also releases the original trilogy as it first
    appeared, albeit with restored picture and sound.
    To not do so would be thoughtless of Lucas.
    -Mark

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Robert, please hang on to that story and compare it with what comes out. With the short memory that the press has, comparing them might make for some interesting reading.

As for the wait on TPM, I'd have to answer 'no'. I did view all of the extras, but I doubt that I'll ever see them again.

Besides, in my great plan (please, don't laugh!), I want to have volumes 1-6 back to back on my DVD changer, and by the time they do come out, it will probably be so full that I won't have any slots left for any 'extra' disks.

Glenn

P.S. Yeah, I do have a microwave. Maybe I can send them the scraps back.

8. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Keep in mind that TPM had extras that were so well thought of that there was whole threads on them.
    Including this one:
    The Begining

9. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

I hope Lucas includes the original theatrical version along with whatever altered version he decides on.

I can live without the added eye candy if it means not seeing greedo shoot first or seeing the snow monster. It was much more suspenseful to *not* see the snow monster. The Jaba yacking it up with Han scene has no value to me. The ewok victory party was better than the universal celebration nonsense and the original singer in jaba's palace was better than the stupid muppet in the SE's.

Supplemental materials don't mean anything to me if the original movies aren't part of the package.

OTR OTR OTR

10. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I can see where Lucas is coming from here, there just aren't that many exsisting extras to put on a dvd of the first trilogy. But I really wouldn't hold it against him if he just released great anamorphic transfers of those films without all that stuff, I mean after all, if he couldn't find anything, he couldn't find anything, what can ya do.
    As for the 'EP I' dvd being worth the wait, hell yes it was worth the wait! It's one of my favorite dvd's right now, perfect in every way!(first one who mentions lack of a dts track gets a lightsaber up the arse![​IMG])
    Ned,
    As I already have a thread going on about this in the movies area, i'll make this brief, the original unaltered trilogy will NOT be on dvd, or any home video format again, Lucas has made that clear. I don't want to muck up this thread with this subject, so if you want to respond to my post regarding this, please do so in my thread in the movies area.

11. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

13. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

TPM worth the wait? With out a doubt, although there should have been a DTS track (just kidding John).
    Regarding episodes IV-VI I'll be very happy watching my laserdiscs until the DVDs are released.[​IMG]
    L

14. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Honestly, I really don't know how anyone can say that the transfer on this disc isn't magnificent!
    I've seen waaay worse EE than what's on this dvd, come on! And according to Peter Staddon, it isn't even EE at all!
    I don't want to get into a discussion about EE because other than knowing what it looks like and how to spot it, I really don't know the technical side of it.

15. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I wouldn't mind picking up bare-bones editions of the original trilogy and then picking up SEs later on. Hell, it's not like we've never had to do that before... [​IMG]

16. Dave H

Dave H Producer

If my memory serves me right, there were several "making of" documentaries aired on television when the original movies hit the theater. In fact, I believe I have a video taped version of the SPX of The Empire Strikes Back that one of the networks showed. These could be put on the DVD as part of the "extras."

Furthermore, Lucas must have the original art works, trailers, TV spots, storyboards, etc. and they could create NEW/MORE interviews with ALL of the key actors.

Put a few hours of this stuff on there and what more would you need? Why would this take as long as they are saying?

17. James_M

James_M Stunt Coordinator

If anyone's owned the Star Wars: Behind the Magic CD-ROM disc by LucasArts, the disc itself is like a DVD supplement disc. They even have like two to three deleted scenes of Episode IV.

18. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

and of course (as I've stated in another thread) From Star Wars To Jedi: The Making of a Saga which I own on VHS, but would make wonderful supplemental material to the DVDs.

19. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

I wonder if the delay was worth it to Lucasfilm - I just read that Shrek holds the record for the top-selling DVD, not Episode I.

RD

20. richard plumb

richard plumb Stunt Coordinator