What's new

Directors george kaplan criterion tourney (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
With Brook's blessing :) I am embarking on a blatant rip-off of his earlier Criterion tournament. However, I prefer to think of it as an homage to his great idea :) and while Brook and I have some Criterion titles in common, our collections are still very different, and mine is much smaller than his, so this should be a different enough tournament.

I only have 32 Criterions, and I’ll match em up randomly. Up first:

Diabolique vs. Silence of the Lambs

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
George, it's not a rip-off, it's a reimagining;)

Silence of the Lambs (it's funnier)

Arman

Screenwriter
abstain (#1 ... more to come? I don't think George has enough real great films in his Criterion colections :D j/k both are great films (?), I just have'nt seen Diabolique yet)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Silence of the Lambs - but aside from the great commentary on the Criterion, I prefer the MGM SE. :)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Hard Boiled

I don't know whats more surprising. George owning foreign language films or Brook owning a Godzilla flick. :)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Hard-Boiled (Closely Watched Trains is good as well)

I've liked Godzilla since I was a kid and my cousin used to shoot at me with his Shogun Warrior Godzilla. But growing up with G in the ultra campy 70's movies I've always been more attracted to the comedic aspects. G2000 was near perfect in that regard and I had much more fun with it than the early 90's attempts at more serious Godzilla movies that just came off as even cheezier. I'm probably one of the few G fans that really likes those late 60's movies with the little kid and baby Godzilla. Maybe my favorite Godzilla scene is when Big G teaches little G to breath fire by jumping on his tail. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks