What's new

George Hill's "Butch Cassidy..." (1 Viewer)

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Why is it that I never hear people talking about this film anymore? It was quite a hit for it's time, and (I think) quite a well made film. Goldman's script is poignant, halarious, and moving. It's really the script that makes this movie (for me, anyway) worth watching, as well as Conrad Hall's (American Beauty) bloody brilliant cinematography. What do you all think of this film? More importantly, have any of you seen it?

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Oh, of course we've seen it. I had the chance to catch most of this classic on AMC a few months back, in widescreen. Hadn't seen it since I was a kid, and it drew me in all over again. It's one of the few films that gives blatant star vehicles a good name. And are there any films with a more memorable final image?

"Who are those guys!?"

--Jefferson Morris

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
There are a lot of movies that, around here, are underappreciated. Butch Cassidy is one of them. Many have seen it, too many undervalue it.

Paul D Young

Second Unit
It is one of my all-time favorites. I could watch it over and over and never get tired of it. Sometimes I forget why it was so great and then I watch it again and wonder why it isn't more popular.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
After my comments that should be obvious ;) - Dozens of times actually. Also own the DVD. :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I really love this film and everything about it. A true masterpiece IMO. Dialog, story, acting, direction, cinematography, score...it all is sharp.

I especially love Strother Martin in the film. In fact I love all 3 big Martin/Newman films (Slap Shot and Cool Hand Luke being the other 2)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I love this movie.

But I think the main problem people have with this movie is that

A. It had a pop hit attached to it.
- I don't have a problem with it, but evidently a lot of people do. "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head" seemed to irk a lot of people expecting this to be a simple funny Western.

B. It wasn't enough of a Western.
- A lot of people were put off by the off-kilter feel of the movie (the whole romance angle, and comedic play between Paul and Robert).

Oh well, those guys are doing a great disservice to themselves for not enjoying this funny classic.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I didn't know this movie was underappreciated by many here? I only knew that some considered it to be inferior when compared to The Sting.

~T

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well, there are many threads, tourneys, polls, whatever about westerns that have taken place here in the last year, and this movie (along with the Magnificent Seven) always gets bashed by a number of western enthusiasts who think it's just too light-hearted and want 'serious' westerns like Red River, The Searchers, The Wild Bunch, etc.
I ran a western tournament way back when, and Butch Cassidy lost in the first round to the Ox-Bow Incident. The Magnificent Seven lost to Once Upon a Time in the West and My Darling Clementine lost to The Wild Bunch. I consider all of those first round travesties.
BTW, although it does have a lot of supporters, even High Noon has a lot of detractors around here. :frowning:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
"Butch Cassidy" has been a long time favorite of mine, for all of the reasons already mentioned -- great script, acting, direction, cinematography. I didn't realize that it was underappreciated around here.

The Magnificent Seven lost to Once Upon a Time in the West and My Darling Clementine lost to The Wild Bunch.
It's hard to get upset about either of those choices. All four films are excellent and considered classics. One had to lose. While I prefer The Magnificent Seven over OUATITW, I would also have chosen The Wild Bunch over "Clementine". Peckinpah's classic is one of my favorite westerns.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I love this film. I mentioned in the AFI Challenge thread after having watched it that it was the most fun I had had. The chemistry between Redford & Newman is amazing.
It's one of the few films that gives blatant star vehicles a good name.
I wouldn't think this film fits this description. At the time, Redford was completely unknown and Newman was a "star" but I don't think he was a "super-star".

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Excuse me, but Redford though not a star was only a breakout film away from establishing himself and Newman was a super-star who already been nominated for several Best Actor AA's. Some of Newman's films before Butch Cassidy:
  • Somebody Up There Likes Me
  • Cool Hand Luke
  • Hud
  • Hombre
  • Cat on the Hot Tin Roof
  • The Hustler
  • Exodus
  • Sweet Bird of Youth
  • Winning
  • The Long Hot Summer
Crawdaddy

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Watched it a few weeks ago thanks to Netflix. Hall's work was great as usual, and Newman and Redford made the perfect pair. I especially liked the cliff-jumping scene. "I can't swim." "You don't need to swim.":D

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
:b Thanks for setting me straight on Newman Mr. Crawford. [note to self: imdb can be your friend] I guess "blatant star vehicles" sounded so tacky I wanted to try and separate it from this film.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
You might be interested in reading Goldman’s book, “Adventures in the Screen Trade”. It contains the complete “Butch Cassidy” script, followed by several of his observations on what he now perceives as strengths and weakness of the script.

Aside from that, it is filled with a lot of insights and humor on the whole moviemaking process. And some comments on both Redford and Newman.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Man, I love this movie. Never get tired of seeing it. Newman and Redford play incredibly well off one another, the cinematography is top-notch and it has several great memorable lines. :star: :star: :star: :star:

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Redford though not a star was only a breakout film away from establishing himself
And this movie sure did it for him!
Another love this film here (but not the song). I wish Katherine Ross had gone on to be as big a star as the guys. She was my favorite actress for a long time.
Speaking of The Sting, I wish they'd release an OAR DVD.
Vickie (probably the only person on this forum who also loved Butch and Sundance: The Early Days while not in any way putting it near the level of BCatSK)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I really love this film and everything about it.
I like certain aspects of it, but I don't like the morality of the characters. Notwithstanding the attempt to portray them as affable good old boys, they are armed robbers (the film tries to say this isn't really "bad" because they never actually shoot anyone). Butch attempts to justify his robbing ways by saying ranching, etc. is too much work (sorry, but I don't consider the avoidance of hard work to be a justification for robbing people). When they do attempt to "go straight", this is shown as having the consequence of killing people (notwithstanding the fact that the people they kill are vicious bloodthirsty bandits likely wanted for murder anyway).

It's the "let's make Billy the Kid and Bonnie and Clyde types into heroes" syndrome all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks