George Harrison's Bangladesh Concert

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mark Anthony, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Second Unit

Does anybody know the status on the above mentioned live concert, one of the greatest events of the 70's and for charity too [​IMG]
    I believe Sony have the album rights...as for the concert footage...anyone?

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have seen at at amoeba records in SF a couple of weeks ago. They have a web site, you might want to check...think it was about ~$40

3. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

i have the concert for bangledesh dvd it's not bad looking and sounding [btw it is in 5.1]it's from hong kong fyi

4. Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos Stunt Coordinator

Having seen this in the theater several times I don't think it ever had a great picture quality. But, yes I would love to see this available on DVD in the U.S.

5. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

The CFBD is of questionable legality. I have also seen photos of an illigitimate Shea Stadium disc and Let It Be (using the artwork from the original RCA CED.
    Before this turns into a bootleg discussion (and closes), CFBD was last issued by Paramount on VHS under authorization of Apple Corps in 1993 and is still in print.
    [​IMG]
    It will be up to Paramount to issue it if they feel there is a demand while the still have the film under license.

6. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    The original film was shot in Super 16MM and blown up to 70MM!!!!! It was released on tape I know..I have the Beta..and looks ok..not great.

I would like to see a remaster and release tho.

7. Bill Eberhardt

Bill Eberhardt Stunt Coordinator

I picked up the DVD at Borders a few months ago when I was able to get a 15% discount. I believe it was an import listed at $39.95.

I don't remember much about the picture and sound quality (I'm not at home now), but having purchased the record album when it first came out, it made for very enjoyable viewing. A blast from the past... go Ravi!

8. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

The LD was also distributed by Paramount. The video and audio of the LD is pretty good. If the rights have flipped to Apple, chances are you won't see this for a while yet.

This past Sunday, on a local weekly Beatle radio show, Ringo was specifically asked about the Beatle film library, including LET IT BE, SHEA STADIUM, and THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL. His response was to the effect that there is no reason to put things out to fast and that generous clips from those films had been included in the Anthology.

He wasn't very encouraging about any eminent Beatle film releases.

-Gary

9. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

I tuned-in here, hoping to hear more news...but there is none.

Of course, now that I inquire here...my mind has gone blank as to where online I read this earlier today, but:

The fully restored concert film is to be released in Region 1, on October 25. The limited details were:

Full-length original concert film, fully restored, with 5.1 sound. (unsure about DTS)

2-disc set with 74 minutes of extras, including vintage interviews, and additional Dylan material that didn't make the original release.

If I can wring the details from my foggy brain, I'll re-visit with news of where I read this, seemingly credible information.

10. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The just-released Dick Cavett Rock Icons includes the song Bangla Desh from the film, if anyone is desperate for a snippet of the concert on DVD. It looks like 16mm, and quite a bit rougher than the 1971-vintage videotape that the rest of the show is on.

11. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I read about this on the musictap.net. Heres what they say:

--------------------------------------------------------

The upcoming George Harrison Concert for Bangla Desh CD set is being reissued and will be joined by the DVD of the film. Both sets will release on October 25. The DVD will be remixed in 5.1, contain the original 99-minute film (which has been restored), with an additional 72-minute of extras. The extras include a 45-minute documentary that feature interviews, sound checks, and rehearsals as well as Bob Dylan footage not included in the original cut of the film. The DVD will release over 2 discs and will also be available as a Special Deluxe Edition that will include a 64-page book and other collectibles. The CD set (2CD) is remixed and will contain an extra track, the previously mentioned Bob Dylan song, "Love Minus Zero/No Limit." All proceeds from the sales of these two remarkable sets will be used to assist UNICEF as Harrison had previously designated. [Thanks to Phong Le].

--------------------------------------

I've never seen this, so I'm pretty excited, being a Dylan and Harrison fan. For some reason I'm thinking that Pete Townshend was involved in this, so that should be pretty sweet as well. How is this film presented? Is it the concert, or the concert broken up with people jabbering about Bangladesh? I hope it's the former, few concert films hold my interest with the the artists blathering on about the cause, or thier art or whatever in between songs.

"The Last Waltz" is about the only one I can watch that uses this format.

12. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

Russell,

Thankfully, this was a concert film in the classic sense, and was not intercut with statements and interviews. As far as I'm concerned, it took place at or near the peak of Dylan's live performance ability (in later years he's gotten hard to listen to, frankly); thus, I think the footage of his performance is classic.

Also, this was only a year or two after Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" release, and, is likewise (imho) a classic period performance.

These two are standouts in my memory, but there are plenty of other fine performances as well.

13. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Here's what the latest issue of Beatlefan has to say:

New ‘Bangladesh’ DVD, CD Due

Apple has announced “The Concert for Bangladesh” by George Harrison and Friends will be issued on DVD and reissued on CD on Oct. 25.

The DVD will be issued by Warner Music Group as a 2-disc package, including the original 99-minute film (presented full-frame), restored and remixed in 5.1 SurroundSound, as well as 72-minutes of extras on the second disc, including a 45-minute documentary, “The Concert For Bangladesh Revisited with George Harrison & Friends”, about the background to the two shows, featuring U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan and Bob Geldof. Included is previously unseen footage of “If Not For You”, featuring Harrison and Bob Dylan from rehearsals, “Come On in My Kitchen” featuring Harrison, Eric Clapton and Leon Russell at the soundcheck; and a Dylan performance from the afternoon show of so “Love Minus Zero/No Limit”, not included in the original film. Other bonus features include “The Making of the Film”, “The Making of the Album”, the original artwork, a “Recollections —August 1st 1971” and a photo gallery. The U.K. price will be £24.99; the U.S. price had not been announced at presstime. Apple Corps/WMG will also simultaneously release a special deluxe version (limited to 50,000 copies woridwide) that will feature a 64-page book and other collectibles. The album of the concert has been remixed and repackaged as a 2-CD set from Capitol Records. This will contain an additional track — the Dylan afternoon performance of “Love Minus Zero/No Limit”. Apparently the other unreleased performance, Harrison’s “Hear Me Lord”, is not included. All artists’ royalties from the sales of the DVD and the CD will continue to go to UNICEF.

Olivia Harrison told London’s Telegraph that the film is “really stunning. It’s been blown up from the original 16mm to 70mm. George wanted to get a full soundtrack. Now you’ll be watching a really beautiful film.” She said Harrison started work on remastering the sound the summer before he died. “Our work on it is just really a completion of something George had started,” she said. “It’s always emotional for me to watch him. It’s his best ever performance.”

And everyone knows John Lennon : Imagine is coming out, right?

-paul

14. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate

15. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin