What's new

George Harrison (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
Heard the new single this morning. Sounds like a posthumous attack on the cigarette industry.

I wish the TRAVELLIN WILBURY's would get cd reissues...

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
I think the song is classic George Harrison, though I don't think it is the strongest track on the new album. Having heard clips from most of the songs on the album, I would have to say that it will be a worthy swan song for "The Quiet Beatle." Can't wait to get it.

As for reissues, all of George's solo albums are going to be reissued over the course of the next year. I believe the Wilbury albums are also going to be included in the reissue program.

John Watson

Screenwriter
I don't know how hard-core all of George's fans are, but he has a very effective appearance in the currently available Carl Perkin's DVD.

So if you like rockabilly, George gets to play the music he started with, and when he duets with Dave Edmunds, you can almost imagine the Everly Brothers looking the same, in the 80's. A good trip.

If Travelin Wilburys gets re-released, I'll keep it this time. I remember the second release not being quite as interesting, and I guess I sold them both off.

I also remember having a benefit cd which feature the Wilbury's performing NOBODY's CHILD, another song George would have known from his skiffle days, All Those Years Ago...

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
According to a recent Beatlefan magazine issue, the Harrison estate had announced that all of the remaining George Harrison titles have been remastered. No date on when they will be released, nor what bonus tracks will be included.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Off the topic. I saw the Carl Perkins show on PBS several months ago. What a lineup....Geroge Harrison, Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton, Dave Edmunds, Rosanne Cash, etc....

I wonder if the Geroge Harrison tribute concert at the end of this month, with Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, will make it to DVD??

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator

What concert is that, Danny? Details or source of info...please. Heard nothing about this...very interested!

Thanks,
Jon

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
When I heard that the first one had gone out of print, I couldn't believe it. How could anyone let that album go out of print?
All of George's later albums went out of print when his contract with Warner Bros. expired. He owned the albums and had just licensed them out to WB, so when the contract expired WB no longer had the rights to distribute them. George lost interest in the music business and didn't bother renewing the contract or signing with anybody else, so albums like the Wilbury albums just went out of print.
Before George died, however, he re-signed with Capitol records (home of the Beatles and All Things Must Pass :)), so all of the re-issues will be coming out under that label. George stated before he died that he loved The Band's reissue program and the way they included previously unreleased bonus tracks on their re-releases. That's why he put bonus tracks on the ATMP reissue, and he had supposedly made a detailed outline of how the rest of his albums were to be reissued as well. I can't wait to see what goodies from the acrhives might show up, even on the Wilburys discs! :)

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
Well....I just heard George's new single "Stuck Inside A Cloud". It was a very emotional experience, to hear his familiar voice and beautiful guitar...a few tears rolled down my face. It's an extremely beautiful piece...both musically and lyrically. Being a longtime fan (he was my fav solo Beatle), and owning all his records, it was wonderful and strange to hear a new song...and made me think about all the wonderful songs he gave us, and ponder all those that we missed.
I'll be first in line on Nov. 19th to buy his final album...just as I did all those that came before.
Thank you again George, for all the joy you've brought into my life with your music. :)

John Watson

Screenwriter
Press reports today that English Skiffle legend Lonnie Donegan has died. He is perhaps best known for the long ago novelty hit "Does your chewing gum lose its flavour"

The story notes that he would have appeared in the tribute to George Harrison that is to take place later this month.

...another player for the great gig in the sky....

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Sorry for the late response, Jon. This is what I am talking about. It's a 1986 TV concert, which I remember seeing on LaserDisc as well.

Regarding the George Harrison tribute concert taking place later this month, here's the news story from the BBC.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
The Cark Perkins show was interesting because of a story George related in an interview.
His wife bought him an original 50's Chet Atkins Gretsch (but w/o the G tamped on it). For the occasion, his pal Eric Clapton bought him a nice amp to use at the event. Some feel George stole the show. Later, BrianSetzer (of Stray Cats at the time) complained, " I have the same guitar as his (George), why doesn't mine sound like that??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks