What's new

George Harrison: Living in the Material World Scorsese-directed documentary announced (1 Viewer)

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all--- It's been discussed on the net for quite a while now, but today, gerogeharrison.com officially announced the new documentary, GEORGE HARRISON: LIVING IN THE MATERIAL WORLD, which was directed by Martin Scorsese. But the curious part is that it will air on HBO here in the US and will apparently go straight to video in the UK a few days after the US airing. There’s no mention of the US DVD or Blu Ray release.
New York — HBO has acquired the North American broadcast rights to Martin Scorsese's GEORGE HARRISON: LIVING IN THE MATERIAL WORLD, which will debut in two parts — on October 5 and October 6, 2011 — exclusively on HBO. London — Lionsgate Home Entertainment UK announced that it will be releasing the film in the UK on 10th October 2011 in three editions – DVD, Blu-ray and DVD Double play (DVD/ BD combi pack), and a beautifully packaged DVD / Blu-Ray Deluxe Edition, which includes an exclusive CD of previously unheard tracks from George Harrison, and a book of photography to accompany the film.​
You can read more about it in the full news release here: http://www.georgeharrison.com/#/news/archive/201107/george-harrison-documentary-and-book-announced So, my question is this: if I buy the UK Blu-Ray [gotta have that bonus CD!] as an import, will it play on my US Sony BR player? I know that region codes were an issue with DVD players, but I have no idea if region codes are also used in BR production and, if so, how they impact playing a disc from a different country here in the US. Thanks for any feedback you can offer about the region code issue. I’m really looking forward to seeing this film. Regards, mattl

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think you can be assured that a US Blu-ray/DVD release will happen in short order, either before or after the HBO premiere.

Two similar projects: Scorcese's No Direction Home (about Bob Dylan): came out on DVD almost simutaneously with the premiere of the film on PBS.

Bruce Springsteen's The Promise (about the making of Darkness on the Edge of Town): Premiered at the Toronto Film Festival in September, then premiered on HBO in early October and came to Blu-DVD in November (as part of the Darkness box; a single movie release followed in the spring).

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Good to know. I'm not a huge Stones or Dylan fan, so I didn't pay attention to those releases, and even though I'm a Springsteen fan, I just couldn't spring for the big box. Haven't had a chance to pick up the single-disc BR yet. I'm eager to see the track list for the bonus CD of unreleased music. Fans have expected a regular soundtrack release with hits alongside unreleased songs, so there may be some disappointment among the Beatles and Harrison fans. Thanks, mattl

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all--- The trailer was posted on the George Harrison website today. http://www.georgeharrison.com/ Still no mention of a US DVD/BR release, but the UK Amazon site lists a few of the bonus features [it does NOT list the song titles on the bonus CD of unreleased music, though]: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005FPT2E0 Special Features: George plays the Uke* Here Comes The Sun Dispute and Violence Deep Blue* Paul McCartney interview Jeff Lynne interview Damon Hill interview Growing Up in Liverpool interview* Neil Aspinall interview* The Inner Light interview* Gordon Murray interview* * Exclusive to the Deluxe Edition. matt

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm pretty shocked that there is still no US release date for this film on BD or DVD. The movie premieres on HBO this week and the UK discs come out next week.

Has there been any word?

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all--- I don't think there's been any mention of a US home video release. According to Amazon.co.uk, the track list for the bonus CD that comes with the deluxe Blu-Ray includes the following songs: 1. My Sweet Lord (demo) 3:33 2. Run Of The Mill (demo) 1:56 3. I'd Have You Any Time (early take) 3:06 4. Mama You've Been On My Mind (demo) 3:04 5. Let It Be Me (demo) 2:56 6. Woman Don't You Cry For Me (early take) 2:44 7. Awaiting On You All (early take) 2:40 8. Behind That Locked Door (demo) 3:29 9. All Things Must Pass (demo) 4:38 10. The Light That Has Lighted The World (demo) 2:23 Apparently, some, but not all, of those tracks are available on bootlegs. I don't think any of them are available offiically. So, has anyone watched the two-part documentary on HBO? Thoughts? Or, for that matter, has anyone bought the UK BR set as an import? If so, I'd love to read your thoughts about it. mattl

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Favate said:
There hasn't been any US announcement yet, for either the blu-ray/DVD or soundtrack. An item on Beatles Examiner a week or so ago suggested it would be spring before it was available in the US. What the delay could be, I can't imagine.
My guess would be that since HBO paid to play it, they want to be the exclusive place in the U.S. to see it for a few months.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
I watched my Blu-ray yesterday - and, I have to say, felt rather smug for the sole reason that it's nice to be sitting in the UK watching something people in the former colony cannot see for a while. Scorsese has dome a simply fabulous job, telling a fairly familiar tale yet somehow making it seem fresh. The interviews with the two surviving ex-Beatles are revealing and moving, especially Ringo talking about the last time he met George. I can't remember ever seeing Patti Boyd talk about all this before and George's widow, Olivia, is simply lovely, clearly struggling at times to retain emotional equilibrium. Eric Clapton and Eric Idle are also eloquent and it's somehow nice to see a Beatles documentary which isn't dominated by George Martin. Visually and aurally it's an absolute treat and there are some simply stunning glimpses of the garden that George created at Friar Park - maybe his greatest creation. Worth waiting for, Americans!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by AdrianTurner

Scorsese has dome a simply fabulous job, telling a fairly familiar tale yet somehow making it seem fresh.

I thought the same thing, particularly in the first half, which deals with the Beatles story we've seen covered so many times. I thought - especially after Anthology - that I'd seen every piece of high quality Beatles film out there, but the concert scenes in the Scorcese pic proved me wrong.

In any case, they're leaving a lot of money on the table by not having this in stores in the states before the holidays.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
It's beautiful... that's all I can say about the documentary. Of the thousands of unreleased Harrison songs, by far the most sought-after (which, unfortunately, is nowhere to be heard in this documentary) is this little gem from the spring of 1985 that he recorded with Alvin Lee called "Shelter in Your Love"

cecerider

Auditioning
Real Name
Anne batey
does anyone know how I can get the dvd of the HBO documentary? Will the film be in theatres? The U.S. always seems to get dvds from cable shows later than UK (??)

cecerider

Auditioning
Real Name
Anne batey
by the way, I recommend Dave Marsh's book The Beatles Second Album for a great analysis of how capital records screwed up the recording of the nonparlophone U.S. releases. (insightful look also at the almighty money grubbers in US, in general, and music industry in particular) UK guy-you should feel smug. It's our time for empire decline over here-- the last desperate grab for the dough before it all falls apart.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I think HBO may have some exclusive rights here for rebroadcasting and such until next year, at which point you'll see a DVD and Blu release. I could be wrong, but that's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

UPDATED: And maybe I should read the above posts before replying. I agree with Travis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks