George A Romero's "The Crazies" DTS - Anchor Bay UK Region 0 Review

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris_Marin, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Chris_Marin

Chris_Marin Stunt Coordinator

There's a review of Anchor Bay's July 28th UK Region 0 release of Romero's classic The Crazies here.

The disc looks great, and has some excellent extras. The main differences between this release and their current US release is the addition of the DD5.1 and DTS audio tracks and a PAL transfer.

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Anchor Bay UK's 5.1 remixes usually sound terrible to me (e.g., Paris, Texas and Withnail & I). I tend to choose the original 2.0 or mono mix if it appears that AB UK did the 5.1 mix themselves, since all they do is have sound and dialogue coming out of the rear speakers for no apparent reason. I find it very distracting and frustrating. From the review you link to, it appears they've done the same thing again with The Crazies. If anyone is thinking of picking that disc up just for the 5.1 remixes, I'd recommend against it.

DJ

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I love Anchor Bay (and Blue Underground!) but they seem pretty obsessed with 5.1 and DTS remixes on vintage films. The sound on The Crazies was, at best, adequetely recorded in 1973 - in MONO, so all this 5.1 and DTS guff is quite frankly, redundant in this case. A good, clean, FAT mono track is fine for this film - spreading out the tracks and doing God-knows-what else to it, is just an exercise in futility.

Good film, BTW. I have the region 2 on pre-order and from what I hear, Romero's commentary is superb! [​IMG]

Cheers.

Gordy

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

5. RobD

RobD Second Unit

My amp does a better job of turning the mono track into 5.1 using a DSP mode than AB UK did with the Withnail & I 5.1 track. I dont think they know what mixing is.

6. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Anchor USA use Chace to create the Dolby and DTS remixes, yes?

But who does Anchor UK use? Are they done in-house?

Gordy