geometry problems... can it be fixed? 24" JVC

Discussion in 'Displays' started by AndyVX, Oct 5, 2003.

1. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Hello,

I just bought the JVC I'Art 24F704. I was watching my first DVD on it today, and I noticed that the picture was a tiny bit slanted. Like it has been rotated a degree or two counter-clockwise.

After watching the DVD, I payed closer attention to cable TV, and it too is the same, though much harder to tell because the image still fills the whole screen.

Anyways, is there anyway to correct this, or am I stuck with it the way it is?

Thanks a bunch.

2. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

i have the same problem on my 27" jvs, and i think you are stuck with it, as JVC hasnt provided a tilt control on the service menu.

3. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

darn, oh well... guess I'm just gonna have to get used to it.

thanks.

4. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

my 36" JVC I'art has a tilt control on it

5. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Do you mean the service menu or the menu? the service menu should definitely be able to correct that, however you would either need a technician to do the work otherwise you void your warranty.

6. Jonathan Dagmar

i mean the service menu. I have been all through it amd found controls for everything but tilt.
    Void my warranty? Bleh. How are they ever going to know? That's just the type of crap they write in the manual to frighten joe schmoe away from doing something stupid... (been there, done that)

7. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Ok, so how do I go about getting it serviced?

I was doing one of those THX setup things (found on the Lion King DVD), and it also appears that the entire image is slightly shifted to the left. Guess that'll need to be fixed as well.

Why can't they just make TV's correct right out of the factory? I mean, do they think that people will appreciate buying a set that is tilted and shifted one way or another?

Thanks again.

8. Jonathan Dagmar

they think that most people are idiots that won't notice that TVS look like crap out of the box. and lucky for them, most people *are* idiots.

9. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

Someone else in another recent thread was claiming that warranty becomes void if service menu is accessed.

There's almost no way that the technician will know if the SM is accessed unless there's a log in the set where the factory settings are saved, which I doubt.

OTOH, I got a replacement set by proving that my first set was used and I proved it to them by accessing the service menu. I even told them that I had to make lots of adjustments in there cause the geometry settings were way off.

Note down your set's original settings when you get in there, and adjust the geometry w/o thinking the warranty. It's pretty straightforward once you know how to get access. Using a still test pattern makes it easier.

10. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Ok, so then how do I go about getting into the service menu? Is there a code or something? Anyone know it off hand?

Thanks a bunch.

*edit*
    for that still test pattern, would using the circle test on the Lion King DVD suffice? It was that test that made me realize how off centre the image was.

11. Gary SI

Gary SI Stunt Coordinator

12. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

13. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Thanks for the link... but I don't have a Video Status button on my remote, so I wont be able to get it to work. Is there any other way to get into it?