Geometry problem with Panasonic 47WX49?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tommy_esq, Sep 4, 2001.

1. tommy_esq

tommy_esq Stunt Coordinator

I thought it was just a particular disc, but then I checked a few more to confirm: the black bars on DVDs that have an AR of > 1.78 are not even. I measured. The bottom bar is level - 2" all the way across. However, the top is NOT. The part of the bar in the top left corner is about 1 7/8 of an inch whereas the part in the top right is only 1 5/8 (i.e. a 1/4 inch difference). It's not huge but it is noticeable that the top bar is uneven.
    Is this a 'geometry' problem? If so how do you correct it? Via the TV or the DVD player? If it is not a 'geometry' problem, what kind of problem is it and how do you correct it?
    Thanks for the feedback!

2. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

I had similar Geometry/Focus/Convergence/Overscan problems with my Panny but once Michael TLV calbrated it 99% of it is gone. I don't know exactly what he did but I believe he fixed the overscan problem using the service menu and AVIA. I know he worked on Convergence and Mechanical Focus using the Service Menu. I guess I need to order the service manual to get to know my set a little more! [​IMG]

3. Rick Simpson

Rick Simpson Agent

I got the same set and the black baron the bottom of mine is a little high in the center,I know it can be fixed in the service menu,I'll attempt it in a couple of days.Other than that the set is litterally awsome,very pleased with it

4. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Rick,
    Where did you purchase the set from and did you have it calibrated?
    Is there a big shift in brightness as you change seating postitions??
    Thanks a lot.

5. Richard_Huntington

Richard_Huntington Stunt Coordinator

That's normal for a RPTV and why my wife insisted we don't buy one. You need to be at eye level with the screen to have it look porper. [​IMG]
    So we got a much smaller Sony Wega to satisfy my wife.
    ------------------
    "My wife actually prefers widescreen"

6. Rick Simpson

Rick Simpson Agent

I got it from Future shop and i did the tweaks on Brett's page"red plush,svm disconnect and user settings"In my room
    the brightness doesn't change much unless you go way to the side which is the case for any RPTV.I'm really happy with it.

7. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Rick,
    Do you find the stretch modes for 4x3 material to be decent? Thanks.
    Can someone post a link to Brett's Page??

8. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

9. John_Sn

John_Sn Extra

Jason,
    Their are 4 modes to view 4:3 material. I use the zoom mode with the v-position set to -8, that way you don't lose the top of the screen, but you do lose the bottom more which is no big deal to me. Losing the bottom of the screen also loses the station logos. With the set tweaked, by me, I get a very good picture in the zoom mode. Full and just modes make objects look to short and fat. 4:3 mode for 4:3 material isn't bad but you run the risk of burn in.I find that when viewing 4:3 material on my 47 the zoom mode is very acceptable. [​IMG]
    john