Geometry issues on TV - S&V, THX optimizer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cagri, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

Not sure if my post belongs here, pls move if otherwise. Here's my problem:
    On my 32" Loewe Calida, I did some settings using THX optimizer on Star Wars II some time ago. There is a certain test where a circle stands in the midlle of two rectangles, and the left hand sides of the rectangles were out of the frame on my TV, i.e. not seen. But other still images, for example the explanatory scenes on the disc looked fine and centered on the screen. I bought the S&V HT tune up disc later on, and did the video calibrations; no big changes. Again the still test pictures were all centered, but there was't any test specifically for geometric adjustment, if I'm not wrong... Last night I got into the service menu of the Loewe and by playing with the settings I centered the rectangles of the THX test picture. Settings I changed were horizontal amplitude and horizontal position and ew lower/ew upper.And actually I had to change them a lot, maybe %20-25. What I don't understand is this; if the geometric settings of the TV were off by this much, how come it is only recognized via this test picture of THX optimizer? Everything else looked centered but that picture. And why aren't there any tests in S&V disc for geometric settings? Are there any in AVIA? Did I do correct by changing the settings according to this test picture? Thanks in advance for any input...

2. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

There are geometric patterns on the S&V disc, if I'm not mistaken. They do not walk you through them, but they're are a couple geometric test patterns with all the auxilliary patterns on the DVD, you just have to use the menu to access them.

3. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

Yes you are right, I went thru the disc once more and there are a couple of geometric tests, crooshatch and another w/ circles etc. They have been very helpful and I am amazed how the set is off geometrically out of the box! I had to change several settings by almost %50!