geometry - 480i vs. 480p - do I only get to pick one?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by david_b_m, Feb 13, 2003.

1. david_b_m

david_b_m Agent

OK I am a complete N00B at this sort of thing, but I'm trying to learn and I've got a "reset" button so I don't mind messing with stuff.

My tv is a Samsung RP, HCW(?)5515 or something close to that (never find a model number on these things after you buy them!).

The vast majority of my viewing time is spent watching Dish Network through the Svideo input, so this was where I began my efforts to clean things up. First I pulled up the service menu and tried to reduce overscan to the minimum possible (I brought it down to probably 3-5% - it was throwing away a LOT on the edges!), and centered it as best I could. Then I got into the geometry/convergence correction, straightened out the grid on green and then converged the red and blue to match. So far so good.

I then switched to the first Component input (480i / 480p capable) and used the only component source I currently have, a Playstation 2. Still so far so good in 480i.

Next step, I insert a game that has the menu option of switching to 480p mode, and engage progressive mode. Picture is now nice and clear, but is underscanning about 15% on each side, and the geometry is off as well.

Now this is easy to correct and everything... but once I corrected it, I went back to the Svideo input to watch satellite and the convergence is off again. So what's the deal? Do I just have to pick my favorite screen resolution and assume everything else will be all screwed up? I'm a bit confused here. [​IMG]

2. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

I was always under the impression that your settings in 480i or 480p or 1080i were completely different, and they don't affect each other. They sure don't with my 30" Samsung.

3. david_b_m

david_b_m Agent

Even for service-menu level settings? Image centering and size/overscan settings certainly seem to carry over from one source to another. Maybe I'm just paranoid. [​IMG] Or maybe when I did an initial reset it just screwed up all my settings and I haven't caught up with them for all my sources yet.

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Games are windowboxed

I had to increase the overscan on my tv to about 7-8 percent on all sides to cover the window boxing on games..... some are worse than others as well. that is why your game had the black around it. Life sucks and video game consoles need stretch controls.

5. david_b_m

david_b_m Agent

Thanks John, I imagine that would explain it. I'm sure the PS2 480P output is not the best reference point in the world. Last night I managed to get my PC hooked up through the ATI DVI-Component dongle and I still have a bit more overscan than I'd like but it's much more managable, regardless of running it at 480p or 1080i resolutions.