Gentlemen Prefer Blonds QUESTION

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Miller, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    Hey everybody --
    My wife just bought the Marilyn Monroe collection on DVD (she was pretty proud of herself, her first box set.)
    All movies are in anamorphic widescreen, except Gentlemen, which is in Full Frame. I'm assuming that all of the others were filmed in Widescreen and that Gentlemen was filmed 4x3.
    Anyone know for sure. Did I get an error copy of Gentlemen in my all anamorphic box set?
    Thanks!
    Doug

2. Rain

Rain Producer

3. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

And wasn't another film in the collection, There's No Business Like Show Business, Fox's FIRST Cinemascope film?
    Seems like I remember hearing that it was.

4. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

No. "The Robe" was Fox's first Cinemascope film while "How To Marry A Millionaire", also in the collection, was second.

5. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    Eric,
    It depends which way you look at it, but "How to Marry a Millionaire" was actually the first film shot in Cinemascope, followed by "The Robe".
    Fox thought that "The Robe" with it's action and spectacle would sell Cinemascope a lot better, so they released it first and Millionaire second.
    Because of the release schedule, "The Robe" is always credited as the first film in Cinemascope.
    It was filmed both in scope and flat.
    The flat version(not pan and scan) occassionaly gets a run on TV and looks very sharp.
    It would have been nice if Fox had included it on their upcoming DVD release.(But unfortunately they haven't)
    ------------------