Gentlemen, if you were born a woman...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Gary->dee, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

do you think your life would be easier? Do you think that more opportunities would be available to you or perhaps people would be nicer to you if you were a woman?

2. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

It's a meaningless generalization. Some women have an easy life; some have a hard life.

Same goes for men.

3. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Considering the way some of the men around me treat women, I'd say I'd have it harder.

4. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I was just talking about this to my wife the other day. I'm not going to go into details but I think they have a harder-more complicated life. Thank God I'm a Man.

5. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Well, if I were a woman, a generation of women like me would be the last.

(I can think of a couple of ways in which that statement could be interpreted. Both are applicable)

6. JackMe

JackMe Auditioning

My wife always says she is coming back as a man next time around.

7. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

Amazing. 6 posts and this thread is still on an intellectual level. I'm tempted to ruin it here with some humor but I wont.

8. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

If I was a woman, and I was hot; I'd be a millionaire. A very slutty millionaire with a boob-job. -Seriously.

On a more serious note, I'm glad to be a man. All the stupid things that I like to do, somehow get justified. Let's put it this way: Me and my buddy were "Jack-ass" before Jack-ass was Jack-ass. We still do some of that crazy shit while drinking. My wife can't understand it.

9. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

I'm sure I'd be able to date much more often since the this area is 1 female for every 500 males, or so it seems.

Mike D.

10. Shawn McBride

Shawn McBride Stunt Coordinator

As an engineer I'd hate to be a woman because the women in our building get leered and flirted with ALL the time. It's disgusting! [​IMG]

Shawn

11. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

This thread likely won't be around long. Oh, and my answer would be no, and that it's a question that cannot ever go well for long.

12. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I'm a woman and can't say that my life is more difficult than a man's. It's about LIFE, not gender.

13. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I want to make it clear that

1) In no way am I suggesting that women have it easier, whether by being treated in a nicer manner or by having more opportunities afforded to them. Likewise that applies to men.

14. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

If I was a woman, born in this generation (not any other generation) and in a "progressive" Western country such as Canada, then I'd think my life would be easier. Especially if I was good looking, or above average.

Why?

Dating opportunities tend to be higher for women, if you're moderately good looking.

Easier to get free drinks at the bar, if you're moderately good looking.

Huge choice in clothing and accessories (as a man it takes me months to find a polo shirt and pants that actually fit). Provided I'm in good shape of course. If not, it'll be damn impossible.

If you're moderately good looking, you don't have to work as hard dating attractive men, because men will compete with each other first before they get to you. It is rare to see moderately attractive young women who are without partners (the majority I've spoken with were never without boyfriends throughout their teens and twenties, whereas men have many dryspells).

You don't have to worry about conscription (this applies to most countries too). Thus, you don't have to worry about dying in a trench in a desert wasteland in the middle of nowhere. You don't have to watch your friends die. You don't have to deal with the pain of injury because of bullets and shrapnel, watching your blood gush out of you like a river. You don't have to deal with "shellshock" or "gulf war syndrome".

You are far less likely than men to be a victim of violent crime, by an order of magnitude.

Your car insurance will be very low, compared to male drivers.

You are less likely to be pulled over or stopped by cops than men.

You are less likely to enact stupid stunts like:

1) Running through red lights in your sports coupe to impress the guys/girls.
    2) Picking a fight with the biggest guy in the bar after drinking a few too many beers.
    3) Picking a fight with the smallest guy in th bar after drinking a few too many beers.
    4) Drinking ten shots of tequila in a row on a silly bet. AND pay the bill for it.

If you're a woman, you'll also live longer than men. You'll also have a lower chance of suffering from various diseases like Alzheimers, Parkinsons, heart disease, etc. Men's bodies rundown quicker, because of the stresses of testosterone which also suppresses the immune system (plenty of scientific literature backs this up).

As a women, you're not likely to get into emotional debates about the existence or nonexistence of a deity or object of belief. Unlike men who'll argue endlessly and pedantically over the same old crap.

With all that said, keep in mind that I'm a visible minority in this country. Western women today are much more focused on physical attractiveness than they ever were before, so I'm at a disadvantage when I have to compete with my fellow man in the dating arena. Fortunately, movies like "The Matrix" and "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" are slowly changing things. And the internet is a great place to meet people without the handicap of relying solely on looks alone.

15. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

16. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

I just want to offer a "devil's advocate" type response from this well written post.

17. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Max, excellent post. I will add another important stat: You are 4 times more likely to kill yourself if you're a man. That alone should answer the original question.

--
    Holadem

18. Woo Jae

Woo Jae Screenwriter

Ah - that maybe true upto a point, but how many women in real life actually live to say, 85? 90? As your age increases beyond a certain point, I would say mortality strikes and by say 100 yrs of age both sexes have similar mortality rates.

19. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Todd, Andrew, my sources for male violence are from these books:

The Dark Side of Man

and

The Decline of Males

which have gotten their information from violent crime statistics gathered by police agencies over the decades.

I will agree that the gap is closing when you compare longetivity between men and women. I recall reading somewhere that men have gained two years overall in life expectancy (77 years) compared to a decade ago. I think women are at 79 years, which I think was a gain of 1 year. I cannot remember exactly.

Good point about suicides, I had forgotten that. That too was mentioned in the aforementioned books. Also, a recent documentary on schizophrenia noted that more men suffer from it than women, I think twice as much or more.

Also another good point about finding the "perfect" guy who likes all of you and not just your body. But then again, wouldn't you think that the thousands of love-advice books, websites, and talkshows would have made a dent in this problem by now? [​IMG]

Here are some figures from the department of justice:

Female Victims of Violent Crime

20. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian