Genesis: The Video Show

Discussion in 'Music' started by Keith I, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    I put this in this forum even though it's about DVD.

This is a great DVD, out now! All of Genesis's promotional (music) videos remixed in Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 sound! Each video includes an information page on each song with photos and sleeves.

No Son of Mine
    I Can't Dance
    Hold On My Heart
    Jesus He Knows Me
    Tell Me Why
    Invisible Touch
    Throwing It All Away
    Land of Confusion
    Tonight Tonight Tonight
    Anything She Does
    In Too Deep
    That's All
    Mama
    Illegal Alien
    Home By the Sea / Second Home By the Sea
    Paperlate
    Abacab
    Keep It Dark
    No Reply at All
    Man on the Corner
    Turn It On Again
    Duchess
    Misunderstanding
    Follow You Follow me
    Many Too Many
    A Trick of the Tail
    Ripples
    Robbery, Assault and Battery
    Congo
    Shipwrecked
    Not About Us
    The Carpet Crawlers 1999

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I got this DVD last night from Tower Records (on sale for $13.99) and skipped from track to track. Not bad at all considering the amount of music (and videos) on the disc.

3. andrew markworthy

We've had it in R2 for ages. I agree, it's excellent. There are a couple of promo films missing, but if memory servies me correctly, according to an interview with Phil Collins that I read at the time of the UK release, the films in question had either been lost or were beyond a sensible economic cost to restore. The 3 disc greatest hits CD is worth getting as well. Nearly all the tracks are remastered and remixed, but generally sensitively and well.

I hope that Genesis now get round to releasing some of their concert films.

4. Drew_N

Drew_N Extra

I too picked this up after reading this thread. Since we won't see the high-res discs for awhile, if ever, this is a must pick up for genesis fans.

The seperation of the voice to the center channel had me hearing inflection I hadn't heard in the previous muddy recordings. This DVD begs to be cranked up.

5. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    How the heck did I miss hearing about this?? Must go buy...

My introduction to Genesis was seeing the promo film for "Robbery, Assault & Battery" on one of the midnight music shows back in the 70s. Haven't seen that one in ages. I'm glad they went all the way back to that era.

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Craig, you're located south of Houston? Please take care and drive north to get your Genesis video. Hope everything turns out well.

I saw "Robbery, Assault & Battery" for the first time on the DVD and the definition is very good for a mid 70s music video.

Is Phil Collins a total ham or what? [​IMG]

7. kerrySan

kerrySan Extra

any idea where i can get my hands on this in oz? would it be just easiest to buy it off ebay?

8. kerrySan

kerrySan Extra

nevermind. i just ordered it then haha.

9. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Just got this and all I have to say is:

WHERE THE HELL ARE THOSE HI-RES RELEASES IN 5.1? I've been a fan since 1980 and there are tracks on this DVD I know note for note (as a teen, some of my friends used to call me "Phil" since almost all I ever played in my car or at home were my Genesis albums/tapes--I got into the earlier stuff w/Peter a bit later). Despite that, and despite still giving some of those tracks a spin on my current equipment (which is decent enough to reveal small details), I heard subtle instrumentation and arrangement on the DVD that I've never heard before--and it's not even hi-res. I WANT MY HI-RES!!![​IMG] [​IMG]

10. andrew markworthy

Don't we all. It was widely reported that The Lamb was completed some time ago but the rumours are that it's now held up because Peter G isn't happy with the mix or something. I just hope this isn't a case of going back and 'improving' it as with the concert version of The Lamb on the first Archive box set. Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme (which for many diehard Genesis fans are more important releases than Lamb) have also now been remixed and are awaiting approval. And then there are all the concert tapes that are supposed to be released ...

The official Genesis site has some news:

http://www.genesis-music.com/

But you may also want to check fan sites, such as:

http://www.genesis-movement.co.uk/indexbody.php3