Generic Amp Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Kolczak, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Jason Kolczak

I was talking to someone about using amps such as Crown, etc. for home speakers and this is essentially what he told me:

"For the love of mankind don't use a pro audio amp in your home!
    The Crown, Crest, plus Makie, QSC and other pro-audio amps are garbage for home use. They have way too much gain and offer way to little current. And they all have loud cooling fans. These amps are built to power horn loaded speakers that put out 100 db with one input watt. Horn speakers also need very little current to work as designed-so pro audio gear will always have tiny transformers and dwarfish current reserves (my Makie 1400i has 20,000 micro-farads of storage per side). A good home amp will have double that much. My 300 wpc amps have 140,000 mfd per side."

Just putting this on here for discussion because I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to amps.

2. Tell that Guy that I will give my Onkyo 676 to him if he wants to give me a Crown K2 [​IMG] I already have one, but why not another[​IMG]

3. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Around here there are quite a lot of people who will tell you other wise. In fact check out SVS sub woofers web site or just do a search here, the use crown amps with there ultra & SS subs & I don't think you will find one person here who doesn't rave about there awsom sound.
    I'm sure someone will go into more depth about it but there isn't any reason why I wouldn't use pro amps for my system.

By the way welcome to the forum...

4. John A. Gordon

John A. Gordon Stunt Coordinator

JohnG
    Hello Jason, welcome to the forum.
    Nothing personal against your “someone” (of which I will refer to as friend here on out), but he/she is highly mistaken. It sounds like he had a bad experience one time with pro gear and thus came to these conclusions. Pro-amps are not garbage, just like consumer amps are not garbage. Some are better than others, but garbage? Pretty strong words.
    As for the, “They have way too much gain and offer little current,” where does your friend get his information. This is not true. THX requires consumer amps to have 29dB of gain. This falls right in line with many pro-amps, give or take a few dB. Our DCA series have a maximum of 32dB of gain, but if you want, you can set it at 29. And for the little current remark, the only thing I can say is, I don’t think so. Every amp has its own design philosophy.
    Your friends comment about cooling is partially correct. Not all pro amps have cooling fan, but most do. And not all of them are loud.
    Pro amps are not built “to power horn loaded speakers.” Pro-amps are built like consumer amps, to amplify the input signal. It makes no difference as to what type of speaker is going to be hooked up to an amp, horn, dome, ribbon, etc. As long as the amp is okay with the speaker load, the amp can drive the speaker.
    Pro Audio gear “will always have tiny transformers and dwarfish current reserves.” Again, where is your friend getting his information? As I said, each amp design is different.
    I will gladly offer to let this person listen to my system and this person will have an ear opening experience and, as the saying goes, be blown away. He will find out that the rails are very stiff with my DCA series amps and will delivery all the current it can take out of the wall.
    If pro amps are “garbage,” then why are pro amps used in recording facilities, post-production facilities, cinemas, consorts, etc. Maybe consumer amps would not last, or cannot provide enough current. [​IMG]
    John Gordon
    QSC Audio Products, Inc.

5. Aaron_Smith

Aaron_Smith Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, what John said. [​IMG]
    Seriously, I'm not sure why he thinks that pro amps are designed not to provide current. While most 2-way pro audio speakers do have a horn loaded tweeter, they also have a big honkin' 15" 4 ohm woofer to drive... current requirement there would be huge compared to your average home hi-fi speaker.
    Sounds like your buddy got the hard sell from some hi-fi guy who was justifying why one should spend $2000 for an audiophile amp vs. $600 for a comparable professional amp.

6. Jason Kolczak

Thanks for the info guys. I'm sure he was just talking in generalities to me since I don't know a lot about amps. And he wouldn't have gotten burned into buying an expensive home audio amp instead of a professional one (he's got both though). I think he runs a Llano Design Group amp right now, but I'm not sure. I look forward to picking your brains when I decide to build a sonosub when I have money.

7. eric

eric Agent

i love qsc's. eventually, i plan on running 3 (or 4) rmx850's, and 2 rmx1450's (for a pair of tumults)
    id love to have that guy sit in on a movie with me.[​IMG]
    eric

8. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

QSC amps are my favorite so far. For home use though, if you can squeeze the money, the DCA series (and the MX but I think they are discontinued. John?) would be a better choice than the RMX line. IMO they sound more refined and I've yet to see a problem with those whereas I have had to get a few RMX amps repaired. Those were used in tough pro gigs though...would be fine for driving a home sub.

9. eric

eric Agent

i havent seen the dca's, but being a 20 yr old, i dont have tons of cash, so even doing the rmx 1450's, im gonna be strapped for a while. [​IMG]
    eric

10. John A. Gordon

JohnG
    Dan,
    The MX series had not be discontinued, though two models have been. Currently available are the MX 1500a and the MX 3000a.
    Eric,
    If you do get that guy to sit in on your future QSC system, let us know how impressed he was. [​IMG]

11. OT

Hey John

I have been trying to get a hold of you though your QSC email account and have had no luck. Any other way I can reach you? (about my DVD's at your house)

thanks

12. John A. Gordon

JohnG
    Anthony,
    DVDs? What DVDs?[​IMG] Kidding of course. I just sent you an e-mail regarding pick up. Anytime this week. Come by work or in the evening this week. And if you want, we'll watch a movie in all the splendid sound of pro QSC amplifiers.

13. Oh!...a movie in the splended sound of pro QSC audio?! That could be fun! I enjoyed the other day of QSC splendor! ...which reminds me that my dad has a QSC Model 1400 from back in the day that sure could use some use *L*
    Did you ever get your TV? www.onecall.com has some 10% off sale with free shipping!

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Tony,
    Does John know you have a K2? You might not be getting those DVD's back until you replace that amp! [​IMG]
    Brian

15. *L*....but I know where he lives AND he works by my school....I think I have him on this one[​IMG]
    ...besides. I have an old Model 1400 QSC amp at this house...does that count? [​IMG]
    if QSC had a fanless amp, then I might have gotten that over the K2. plus I picked up mine for less than $1000new with tax!

16. Brad Dixon

Brad Dixon Stunt Coordinator

I'm curious if any of you are familiar with QSC series3 3800? I saw a place selling some online(used of course). I know they are discontinued but they are fan less and appear to have plenty of power and good specs. I tried a search and came up with 1 post but it didn't give any real thoughts/opinions on it.

Thanks,
    Brad

17. eric

eric Agent

18. John A. Gordon

JohnG
    Anthony,
    The Series One Model 1400 QSC amp is a fine amp indeed. Let's see, the THX program started in 1983. The 1400 was THX certified in 1983. Hmmm? Even though the 1400 was discontinued last year, thousands are still in use today.

JohnG