Generally, is Etronics the best way to go?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NeilO, Sep 13, 2002.

1. NeilO

NeilO Producer

I have practically made up my mind to get the following components, which appear to have the following prices at etronics:

Pioneer 811S receiver $299 + $32 shipping
    JBL NSP-1 speakers $210 + $35 shipping
    SONY SA-WM40 subwoofer $150 + $35 shipping

It seems that even with those hefty shipping costs, etronics gives the best deal. Are there any drawbacks or things I need to be aware of in ordering from etronics?

I think I'm going to take a look at Best Buy and maybe a few other stores this weekend, but I doubt they'll be able to be at this level. On the other hand, maybe if they are relatively close it might be good to get it locally?

Thanks,

Neil

2. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

i have ordered 4 times from etronics, i have had a positive experience everytime

3. Scott Reiss

Scott Reiss Agent

Take a look at www.bizrate.com for more details on etronics (and lots of other online merchants.) One other consideration is that etronics is not an authorized dealer for Pioneer, so they will sell you a separate warranty that they underwrite should service be required.
    I did a little looking around on this forum and others to get feedback on etronics specifically, and my ultimate conclusion was that lots of people were quite happy with them, and lots of people weren't.

4. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

I got a H/K avr520 from etronics. They are not authorized for H/K either. Thankfully I haven't had a problem. Their shipping fees are hefty,but it was the fastest ground shipping I ever had-overnight

The price was among the lowest on the 'net. The reason it was eTronics for me: They are a partner with amex miles, of which I had slew burning a hole in my pocket. I figured the amex connection would afford me a little peice-of-mind if it came to a problem

Good Luck

5. DougRogers

DougRogers Stunt Coordinator

I ordered my receiver from them because they had the lowest prices. They aren't an authorized retailer for anyone I don't think. So, if you have a problem you might have some problems.

I guess about a year ago they had a bunch of TV's on their site then one day they were gone. I emailed and asked how I could still order one. They told me to click on email when available. However, the TV I wanted, a Sony bigscreen, was no longer listed so how could I possibly click on it. I asked them this and they never replied. At least they did reply which is rare in this day and age.

But their prices are good and from all I have heard they don't give people many problems.

Doug

6. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Might want to check the retail area (do a search) for more infomation on them. I've ordered twice from them and had great service. Both items were sub $100.00 so I wasn't taking a big chance. I've heard a lot of complaints about them though...

7. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Thanks for the information. I made my order with etronics. The shipping total actually was $70 for the items, so it was less than ordering one at a time which helped out. It hasn't shipped yet, but I expect it to do so soon. The only thing left is to hope that it will be delivered when someone is at home.

Neil

8. Pedro Diaz

Pedro Diaz Agent

NeilO,

Can you post your experience after receiving your order?

I want to order some things from them and I want to know how was it for you.

9. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Personally, I think you overpaid for the Sub, but this isnt the 'Coupons & Bargains' section is it...??
    I remember I bought mine for $130(new) locally.
    Great sub though. Still have mine. Still love it.

10. NeilO

NeilO Producer

The components all arrived relatively quickly and I haven't had any problems with them.

I arranged with UPS for them to deliver them on a day I needed to take off for another reason. If I had been home when they first tried it would have only taken 2 days. It was shipped out from Etronics on the first business day after the order (which had been made on the weekend).

Neil

11. Pedro Diaz

Pedro Diaz Agent

Thank you very much for your feedback, NeilO.

I will be ordering the same setup without the receiver.

Maybe, if I can save some money I will take Jim´s option, a HK AVR520 receiver.

What do you think?

Another question, NeilO. I am going to buy the speakers and the sub in December. I will visit my sister, who lives in NC and I will take the speakers and the receiver with me in a flight to Mexico City.

How big are the speakers and the sub with and without their original boxes? I want to know if I can fit them in my baggage.

Thanks again.

Pedro

12. NeilO

NeilO Producer

The speakers come together nicely packed in a big box that is bigger than you want to go traveling with. The sub on its own is also quite big. Take a look at the specs on etronics and it should say the size and weight. I recommend not traveling with these. Not even considering how inconvenient it would be to travel with them, just trusting the airlines not to destroy them is worrisome.

I recommend ordering them at your final destination.

Neil