What's new

General XBox Live Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I just came across some interesting information. In my post I complained about connection speed. Well my buddy just found out there's a way to find it out.

If you go to the dashboard, then Xbox Live, then network, hit "Y" you get all the statistics. I'll have to try this.

Mike D.

millercv

Second Unit
Robot Monkey - No I wasn't referring to you (I think :) I wish it would pop up in the corner who is talking). I had just gotten into a couple of games with people using nothing but language and non-game related derogetory comments towards everyone.
Like I said I don't mind a little here and there in context but swearing just to hear yourself talk is a bit much.

Leo_P

Second Unit
So far I'm very pleased with the XBL experience.
But I'm having a hard time using the friends list in UC. How do I hook up with someone to play? Do I need to set up a game then invite them? I have most of you guys on my friends list, and I'll see that you're online, but I don't know what to do after that.
Other than that everything's great except that this thing is ruining my life 'cause all I want to do is PLAY!:b

Chris Gio

Agent
I'll have my WET11 and Live all ready to go in about two weeks. I can't wait to hop online with you guys, either. I'm also looking forward to one of those cool gamertags, if anybody were willing to make one for me when I go Live. :D

Frederick

Second Unit
My Live time has pretty much been with the Moto GP demo. I have MechAssult, but I figured I'd finish it first and gained an ounce of skill before I go online and get my @$$ handed to me by Romier & Co. ...
The Moto GP sessions have been a mixed bag. Is it me or do the people with the full version of the game have faster bikes? The best I've ever done is second, and the winner was SO far ahead of the pack it was ridiculous! Also every now and then someone goes against the grain and starts knocking people over, or going the wrong way on the track, or stopping in front of people causing a pile-up.
And I don't talk much either, usually because my son is in the room with me and I end up talking to him. He loves watching me play. He thinks it's cool that all those people from all over can play one game at the same time.
This is my first online gaming experience, and I must say that I'm very impressed. I've only been dropped once, and I think that was because the host dropped the session, because I got right back in and played for 2 hrs. straight with no problems. And Jay, I think I'll be joining your clan soon. I'm real tempted to get either Unreal or Ghost Recon, and I suck at both :D ...
Freddy C.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I'm real tempted to get either Unreal or Ghost Recon, and I suck at both ...
Team-based games are awesome...if you work as a team. It's a darn good way to improve your skill, too. I highly recommend getting a game in which you can be part of a team.

Frederick

Second Unit
Then I think I'll pick up Ghost Recon. Eventually. This has been the most expensive few weeks for me as far as video games. The last 2 months I've picked up Godzilla: DAMM, Mario Sunshine, TimeSplitters 2, Hitman 2, GTA:VC, MechAssult, XBox Live, about 30' of CAT5 cable, and today I picked up Splinter Cell and Metroid Prime. Hmmmm ... on second thought, I think I'll give the plastic a rest for a minute. Damn them for opening a GameStop down the street from my job :laugh: ...
Freddy C.

millercv

Second Unit
One thing is for certain: that demo has sold an amazing number of copies of MotoGP.

I got mine last night - its not easy but so much fun.

Bill Eberhardt

Stunt Coordinator
More than likely they are using custome bikes Frederick. That why.
That's only part of the answer. In order to max out a custom bike you have to win all 10 races in grand prix mode and complete all 20 tutorials on the hardest (gold) level. Some of the tutorials are very difficult for a beginner, especially the ones in the rain. In one of them you have to complete a 3-lap race in the rain while remaining in the top 3 positions the entire time. If you drop to 4th place you have only 10 seconds to get back into 3rd or you lose.

The point I'm trying to make is that simply going through the process of getting a custom bike makes a person a much better racer. Most people with custom bikes would be very fast even with a stock bike.

I think what slows me down is using the option where both brakes are combined. Is there a technique where using the front and rear brakes separately will get me through the corners quicker?

JayV

Supporting Actor
Then I think I'll pick up Ghost Recon
Come join us in the All Thumbs League, Frederick.

Also I urge you (and any one who sucks) to try and hook up with regular HTF guys. I played two GR games with FutureVoid, Orpheus and some others (after warning them I'm no good!) and it was a blast. I didn't kill any one and got whacked both times, but it was still fun.

I'm also having fun going through co-op missions with friends (and setting respawn on). Good way to learn the game and the single-player missions.

-j

Frederick

Second Unit
Sign me up, Jay. I just have MechAssult and the Moto GP demo right now, but I'll look for you guys when I'm on. Feel free to add me to your friend lists ...

Freddy C.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I have a couple of questions errrr complaints about xbox live. I'm having lots of trouble actually getting to play against people who invite me. I was playing Ghost Recon and a window came up and told me I had an invitation. Is there any way to find out for what game and who it is without taking out Ghost Recon?

And then by the time I do all of this, the person has usually started the game already. I find myself putting in MotoGP just so I can see my friends and what games they are playing.

Some of the ways the friends list is implemented in games is ridiculous.

Another thing that Xbox live needs is a way to tell you if someone has accepted the invitation you send them. That way you can wait on them to load the game disc etc. As of now you have no idea if they got it, if they are ignoring it, or if they are accepting it. It would be great if it would tell you if the person accepted it, or rejected it.

Am I missing something here? Am I doing things wrong?

JayV

Supporting Actor
It would be great if it would tell you if the person accepted it, or rejected it.
Hear, hear.

Now, as for the seeing the invitation, hit START, then select ONLINE OPTIONS, then select FRIENDS LIST, then select FRIENDS (as opposed to players). It sounds more complex than it is.

-j

Jason Price

Second Unit
XBL needs an online, web-accessible interface that would allow you to see who's logged in, and what game they're playing at that time. I prefer to play with friends, and I hate having to boot up the Xbox just to find that none of them are online, and then shut 'er back down. Yeah, I'm lazy like that. :)
I can't imagine this would be hard to implement for MS, but I'm not really holding out that it will happen...

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
XBL needs an online, web-accessible interface that would allow you to see who's logged in, and what game they're playing at that time.
Microsoft has (had? I can't find it now) an "us vs. them" article on their site, and a web-based feature was mentioned. Unfortunately, I believe it was marked "TBD" in the table, but at least they've put some thought into it.
I just grabbed XBox Live and UC this morning. I guess I'll have to buy a router later today. :)

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
I've had a really good experience with XBL like most of you. I'd rate it 4.5 out of 5, the .5 being start up issues like lag (which hasn't been anywhere like the opening weekend) and lack of uniformity on friends lists/lobbies. I'm pretty sure modifications/upgrades will be forthcoming in due time. I know a lot of people complain about not getting any downloadable content, but it's prudent to be patient about getting this stuff done properly so that everyone benefits.
I've had only one time where I found a swearfest of all the times I've been on. Not a detracting thing for me anyway.
It's a great time to be a XBox owner! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks