General XBox Live Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by millercv, Nov 17, 2002.

1. millercv

millercv Second Unit

I tried to find a thread that my questions/observations would fit into the title but found none, so hopefully this can be a place where people ask questions/make comments without opening new threads.

Ok so far I am EXTREMELY impressed with XBL. I've been playing MA, UC, MGP and lag seems non-existant. There may be a little slowdown in the first few seconds of UC matches but it quickly smooths itself out.

I didn't think I would like the voice chat as much as I do but I do wish there was some simple solution for handling heavy swearers. I don't mind an ocassional slip when you get killed or something but man some people just never let up. I know there is the whole mute thing but half the time you don't know who is saying what.

UC apparently puts 4 people per chat channel randomly at the beginning of the game (you can hit select to choose a different non-full channel). Maybe some games in the future can have multi-chat channels with one designated "clean."

2. Michael St. Clair

If I'm playing with strangers, and I'm not playing a teamplay mode, I sometimes just put the headset down. There's nothing of value in the discussion of most non-friends games IMO.

3. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

But how are you going to make new friends? I've met a lot of people on xbox live that I enjoyed talking to and most are good sports. The one that are dicks I've found don't talk.

4. Philip_S

Philip_S Stunt Coordinator

Had a little lag during NBA 2K3 this afternoon. There's a game that doesn't seem to have a lot of people playing. And where are my roster downloads Sega?

Moto GP and Mechassault have both been silky smooth for me.

5. Jeremy_Nelson

Jeremy_Nelson Stunt Coordinator

I too am very impressed with xbl. The only thing I think its missing is some kind of "real" lobby. If anyone has used Microsofts Zone I think you know what I mean. Other than that I think its absolutly fantastic.

6. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I've enjoyed talking to new gamers; the experience has been very pleasant so far. Most people are opting not to use the voice mask feature (especially the annoying child one).

I'm just biding my time with Moto until I give Unreal a spin.

I think MS avoided including an all-purpose lobby because of the hassle and load that would bring to their service. If implemented correctly, the in-game lobbies are more than adequate (unfortunately, only Moto seems to have very good voice implementation so far).

7. Jeremy_Nelson

The way its currently set up you have absolutly no control over whom you play with, can't see how anyone could consider that even remotely well set up. Hassle, load? we're all running broad band, on what amount to computers (basically), what's the problem? The zone ran just fine on my old amd k6 and 56k connection....

8. Romier S

Romier S Producer

9. Jeremy_Nelson

You tell me I'm wrong, say you can do it, but only talk about how you can use optimal match to get quick matches. Please explain how you gained your magical clarvoiance that allows you to tell whom is in each game? Sorry for the sarcasm but seriously I don't see how you can claim to control who you play with.

Do you just hang out in the dash board? cause as far as I can tell thats the only time you can see when someone is sending you an invite..you don't get messages in game ala battle net.

Not trying to pick a fight, I'm just suggesting that compared to every other matching system out there, even microsofts own zone, the Live system is very lacking.

Edit: bah the whole post comes off rude, wasn't my intention, just been up all night and can't get any sleep.

10. Bryan_ZZ

Bryan_ZZ Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy,

I have received invitations during gameplay. The icon pops into the upper right side of the screen and stays there until you acknowledge it.

I have not had any problems finding friends to play with - you just have to be patient if they are in a game or mission. They also may choose to keep going and not check their invites if they are in the middle of a great session and do not want to leave.

I want the friends list to work better in MechAssault and Ghost Recon; aside from that, I am ecstatic about Live and am looking forward to more fun. I had a blast in my first Ghost Recon session Friday night with Romier, Dean, Jason and other Clan members!

MS has really hit a homerun here, IMO.

Bryan

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

12. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Say, Jeremy, do you know you can check your friends list in-game? Yes, some games (Romier mentioned Ghost Recon) don't implement this with a listing of where your friends are. But I think all games will tell you who is online and whether you have any pending invites. This is also where you would invite someone.

Apologies if this isn't what you're talking about; not enough coffee in me to be more helpful.

My XBL observations:

1. Thank God for the friends list (and HTF). I got Ghost Recon on launch day, but didn't really get a chance to play.

I went online twice. First game, I got whacked in about ten seconds. Second game ended in fifteen minutes without me seeing anyone.

But then I found some HTF guys and I played two fun games. I got whacked in both (but not right away) and I don't think I actually killed anyone in either game.

Still, it was tons of fun. For me anyway. I can't speak for the other guys who had to deal with a bullet sponge on the team.

2. I understand what you're saying about the cursing millercv, but I usually jump out of a game if there is too much voice-masking or cursing. Luckily, these are usually the same games. I'm no prude (and I curse like a sailor), but I don't need to hear the f-bomb every other word. Or teenagers talking about watersports.

Are you having problems with too much cursing in general, or only occasionally? And out of curiosity, did I have a potty-mouth the other night? I make a conscio9us effort not to curse too much online, but ...

3. Fun, fun, fun!

-j

13. millercv

millercv Second Unit

Mechassaults kicking everyone to the lobby hopefully can be fixed.

One thing I wanna know is where is the Downloadable Content - a lot of sites made you believe that it would be available day 1. Need more UC DM maps! ("Morpheus" please!)

14. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

My biggest issue is that I suck.

I wear the headset to learn about the game. There's a lot of talk about which mech is best, how to use your weapons. It can be helpful (though I still suck). I don't talk back though. I don't know why.

I'm a little dissappointed in how the Live features feel like an afterthought in MechAssault. There are very few maps and weapons (that I've seen), a limited selection of game modes, nothing to encourage strategic team play, and the horrible "back to the lobby" feature after each game. Don't get me wrong, I like the game...it's just a very basic first attempt.

15. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Here's my observations of LIVE so far. Keep in mind, I've been doing the online PC game thing for a while, and was online with my Dreamcast.

- Connection speed. I'd like to know how good my connection is. On the PC side I have many ways of checking this and I KNOW my speeds and pings are always great. In UC, if I host a single, it says my connection is only good for 5 players, and in CTF, only 4. I hosted a 6 player CTF which was lag free... so I'm not sure what that warning was for??

- On Friday and Sunday, in MotoGP and UC, when trying to connect to a number of matches, I'd get a "session no longer available message" Was not as frequent on Sunday. Server glitch?

- In MechAssault, there seems to be a bug that drops off the last player that joined when the host launches the game. This happened almost ALL the time. My friend got dropped from my games when he was last in, I got dropped when I was last in, and I always see the last guy getting dropped in other games.

- Voice communication simply kicks a$$. Didn't think I'd like it. In Ghost Recon my buddy and I (and some random team members) had great communication which lead to coordinated attacks. I was able to trash talk or give props to others in UC, and coordinate offense and defense in UC's CTF. I like talking MUCH BETTER than typing!

- My biggest surprise is how friggin fun MotoGP is! And I play the 1st person view... this game rocks! And on LIVE everyone is really cool & competitive.

- I'm HIGHLY disappointed with NFL2K3's online interface. Anyone who played the DC versions will know what I'm talking about. It use to have Lobbies for different sections of the country, and show the persons connection speed... not so this time around, very disappointing. The game play, on the other hand, is MUCH better with Broadband than the 56k modem on the DC.

- I like the invite icons you get in the game, it doesn't distract you, and goes away after a period of time if you choose not to respond during game.

MS still has many wrinkles to iron out, but I believe they have a winner on their hands.

Mike D.
    gamertag: Merlot

16. Romier S

Romier S Producer

17. JeffMuller

JeffMuller Stunt Coordinator

Voice capability really makes the difference for XBL.

The friends list does need a lot of work, but I think it may be a server issue. I was playing UC the other night, and it kept showing friends "Online, playing", but when I selected them, I didn't have the choice to join their game (maybe it was full???). Also I kept seeing an invite icon, but again, when I check my friends list, no one had invited me. It also needs a lobby between matches.

Lag can be a problem. It seems to come and go, but not sure whether it has to do with who is connected, or how many. It's probably a combination.

UC has some framerate issues. It's a really fun game, but it becomes disorienting when the framerate slows down. Oops. I'm getting off topic. I'll have to post the rest in a UC-specific thread.

You know, for MotoGP being a "quick" conversion of an existing game... they really did seem to get it right! The lobby. The interface. Even the communication. Everything just seems... right.

When you frag someone in UC, can you talk to them (like in MGP)? If not, that would be a good addition.

BB

18. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

19. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

20. WillY

WillY Stunt Coordinator

I love the communicator. I say find people you like to play with and don't be afraid to say stuff, esp. when it's something like, "You f#$%ing idiot, you're not playing Not It right!" It's been great coordinating team movements. Most of the time it is a simple matter of telling everyone to hit the same mech, but still, it makes for short work playing a team with no teamwork. And I have actually learned a lot playing against people that are better.

All of the complaints you raise are easily fixed by using the communicator and friends list. From what I hear, most of the people on this board are fun to play with.