What's new

General woodworking question (1 Viewer)

Brett_A

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking at getting an air nailer of some type. What is the best all around for cabinets, speakers and crown molding? Would a brad nailer be sufficient or is a finish nailer needed? I haven't owned either so any opinions are welcome.

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
For trim work, especially crown moldings, you should get a gun with 2 1/2" capacity. Most brad guns won't shoot the longer nails, tho.

Pete

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
My Porter Cable brad nailer takes up to 2" nails but a finish nailer would probably be better for putting up crown molding.

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
For crown molding, I use a 16ga finish nailer with an angled magazine (allows you to get into corners and hard to reach places). It accepts nails up to 2 1/2"

I also have an 18ga brad nailer that I use for smaller trim, panel molding etc. It would not be sufficient for crown.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I've used a brad nailer to tack enclosures together while the glue dries. As mentioned above, large crown molding will require a finish nailer.

You want to build cabinets with screws (if you must use mechanical fasteners). Trim pieces can be attached with a brad nailer.

David Sailor

Agent
I love using the "Oil less" nailers. I usually forget to redirect the exhaust and have ended up with an oil exhaust on a nice project. The oil less are just that, so regardless of where you have the exhaust pointed, no mess. I personally prefer the Bostitch brand, have 3 of theirs, 2 different gauges and a stapler and have never had a problem. I personally also like the magnesium housing, for the homeowner it should be durable enough plus it's very light. David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks