General woodworking question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brett_A, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Brett_A

Brett_A Stunt Coordinator

I am looking at getting an air nailer of some type. What is the best all around for cabinets, speakers and crown molding? Would a brad nailer be sufficient or is a finish nailer needed? I haven't owned either so any opinions are welcome.

2. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

For trim work, especially crown moldings, you should get a gun with 2 1/2" capacity. Most brad guns won't shoot the longer nails, tho.

Pete

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

My Porter Cable brad nailer takes up to 2" nails but a finish nailer would probably be better for putting up crown molding.

5. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

For crown molding, I use a 16ga finish nailer with an angled magazine (allows you to get into corners and hard to reach places). It accepts nails up to 2 1/2"

I also have an 18ga brad nailer that I use for smaller trim, panel molding etc. It would not be sufficient for crown.

6. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I've used a brad nailer to tack enclosures together while the glue dries. As mentioned above, large crown molding will require a finish nailer.

You want to build cabinets with screws (if you must use mechanical fasteners). Trim pieces can be attached with a brad nailer.

7. David Sailor

David Sailor Agent

I love using the "Oil less" nailers. I usually forget to redirect the exhaust and have ended up with an oil exhaust on a nice project. The oil less are just that, so regardless of where you have the exhaust pointed, no mess. I personally prefer the Bostitch brand, have 3 of theirs, 2 different gauges and a stapler and have never had a problem. I personally also like the magnesium housing, for the homeowner it should be durable enough plus it's very light. David

8. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I know some highly experienced contractors who tell me that Senco has always been their choice.