What's new

General Toshiba question... (1 Viewer)

Gregory P

Auditioning
Hi~
I have only asked a few questions here, but this is a great forum to come to search and ask questions...
Recently, I fund it interesting to read some posts on CC and DIVX and how many of you still don’t buy from CC.
Along similar lines, I remember when I was a kid and saw Toshiba VCR for the first time: they were selling them cheap to get back in the market. It was my understanding that Toshiba was banned from selling any products in the US because they sold some manufacturing equipment/process to the USSR that gave the USSR definite military advantage...
If my recollection is correct, it seems to me that this is more significant than CC and DIVX, but on my meandering searches through this forum I have not come across any boycott of Toshiba or mention of the ban.
Maybe my memory is just confused about the issue???
Greg

Gregory P

Auditioning
Found it by searching Yahoo:
(quote)
One of the most famous controversies surrounding a dual use export came in 1988. That year, the U.S. government discovered that a division of Toshiba Corp. had sold high-tech manufacturing tools to the Soviet Union. Among the American concerns over the sale was the fear that the tools could be used to machine extremely quiet propellers for Soviet submarines.
Angered by what it saw as Toshiba's irresponsible attitude toward America's Cold War enemy, the U.S. Congress imposed a three-year ban on government purchases of the company's products. The result: Toshiba's U.S. sales fell 12 percent in the first year of the ban, and it lost a $100-million Pentagon contract.
And, sure enough, Soviet subs did become harder to detect. (unquote)
If I remember correctly some "normal" stores also stopped selling Toshiba for 3 years...
Greg
source: http://www.myvideogames.com/features/feature40.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks