What's new

General Stargate questions (1 Viewer)

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

That's the problem I have when I hear people compare Stargate with BSG - apples to oranges. I'd go so far as to say that BSG is more a disaster show with some sci-fi thrown in. SG-1, at times, has gone as dark as BSG, but that's not its theme, rather the opposite - hope.

And I can guess why you watch BSG and it's probably the same reason I do - it's a sci-fi show, and there's so little sci-fi (space ships, etc) out there, that we have to support what there is. It's well-written, but it's not rewatchable like SG1 and SGA are.

And I pray that SGU doesn't go the way of BSG, because that's not what Stargate is about - besides, there'll be Caprica to fill the BSG void. More likely, it'll be a dumbed down version of SG1 and SGA, and that's not good either.

Arild

Supporting Actor
What did you think of "Reckoning", by the way? Those two hours sure wrapped up a lot of major storylines by killing off both the replicators as well as most of the Goa'uld (or at least diminish them significantly as a threat).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It was good, but I preferred Threads. Then again, they basically work as one big story. I like the Jack and Sam stuff, and the Jacob stuff that was foreshadowed in Reckoning.

I do hate that he died, though. He was a great character.

Somehow, I had gotten it in my mind that the long version of Threads was an hour and a half, and I thought Amazon had sent me the wrong one. Doing a little research, I see that it was just an hour and four minutes and I got the whole thing.

Edit: Atlantis reference in Threads. "Wraiths on the way to Atlantis." I saw it with a second run through.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Agreed. But I guess he was expendable at this point, with the Tok'ra's part in the story having pretty much played out.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I had to deshrinkwrap Atlantis S2 and S9 because I'm done with the previous seasons! I think both Atlantis S1 and S8 were curiously strong. A couple of weak episodes, yeah, but that could be said about any season of either show. The last five episodes of S8 were ridiculously good. I'm glad I watched as God intended because

in Moebius, they found the ZPM and name dropped the Daedalus for the first time. That paid off immediately when the reinforcements came in from Earth and mentioned that the Daedalus was on the way with the ZPM. If I had just been watching Atlantis, this would have all been pretty deus ex machinaey. But, after watching Moebius, it not only made perfect sense, it kicked ass.

Forgot to mention earlier, but it was sad seeing Yu die. He might have been a goa'uld, but he was our goa'uld. :frowning:

Arild

Supporting Actor
Agreed. Unfortunately season 2 is not as strong as season 1, but it picks up again in season 3 - IMO of course. I think a lot of fans will disagree with me on that one. I love SG-1 season 9, though, despite its lack of RDA. But I look at it this way: If SG-1 was a movie, then seasons 1 - 8 would be it and seasons 9 + 10 would be the sequel. That's kind of how it feels.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, right now, I'm thinking, "Moebius would have been a hell of a series finale." Hmmm. I really didn't like Avalon Pt. 1 at all. They introduced Browder in the worst possible way, with SG-1 all visiting his bedside to tell them how much they owed him. Having him be an anonymous hero of Antarctica would have been much better. But, I really hate Claudia Black's character. The little bit of her in S8 went a long way. I'm already tired of her schtick. It's like if Vash had become a regular on Star Trek TNG. Maybe Carter's return will soften her horndog persona, but that's the last thing Stargate needed IMO. I hope it gets better, but it's the worst season premiere episode they ever did.

Arild

Supporting Actor
I can see how she'd be annoying. IMO, she gets more tolerable later on as her character become more integral to the overall plot. One thing I love, though, is how Daniel is constantly reacting to her obnoxiousness. I constantly find myself laughing more at his commenting and/or otherwise showing disgust for her behavior, than at her behavior itself.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I guess I should break the routine and watch the three episodes all at once. I stopped after the first with the plan to go on to the Atlantis premiere, but I was too tired at the time. I hope I like it better as it goes, because I own both seasons and plan to plow through. I hope it isn't a case where appreciation of the characters depends on goodwill from Farscape, because I never liked what I saw of that show.

I didn't catch that as I was watching, though I did watch a little of Dead Like Me. I've always planned to buy the box sets, but have yet to get around to it.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Yep, all the scenes with Daniel in the diner, that the same place (or same set), I'm not sure if that is a real diner they used or a set. But spin Dead Like Me and you'll be able to tell this.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, at least the Atlantis S2 premiere was groovy.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The first two episodes of Atlantis S2 were tops. I liked the second episode of S9 much better than the first, but I'm deeply concerned that this whole arc will be an assault on Christianity. I guess that can't be discussed too easily around here, but I hope it doesn't sour me on the whole franchise if that's the case.

Arild

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't worry about that. The producers said, in one of the commentaries I believe, that it was not intended as an attack on religion itself, but rather as criticism of the worst parts of all religions; that is when it's used to oppress and to wage war.

In fact, if anything, I'd say the show is more supporting of "real" faith after this, as it's being put in a favorable light compared to the fictitious Origin. I think they draw a pretty clear distinction in the briefing room discussion at the end of episode three.

By the way - how about that burning scene? Pretty graphic for Stargate, huh?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, I hadn't seen the third episode at that point and was going by internet chatter. The jury's still out, but I don't know if I'm going to like this storyline. Not for any reasons of controversy, I just don't know if I want to see SG-1 fighting these bald guys and dealing with religion all the time. Of course, it probably doesn't show up in every single episode.

The idea of good ascended Ancients and bad ascended Ancients is pretty interesting, though.

I couldn't believe they would show a charred woman like that, but it was effective. And, it served to humanize Vala. I have a hard time warming up to characters for whom everything is a joke--Robin Williams used to never be able to turn it off for interviews, and it drove me nuts--so it's good seeing her serious and actually concerned for someone other than herself.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

I concur with Arild - don't worry that it's out to attack Christianity. I was somewhat worried myself watching those initial episodes, but they pull away from the worship and focus more on the Ori, and how they are evil, and the Priors, who unwittingly support evil.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I'm up through Aurora. It's bofo so far! :D

I understand Universe involves an Ancient ship. I hope this episode serves as the inspiration. Maybe if they still have this set around? Part of the appeal was the filter that gave the episode a dreamy look, but the ship looked completely different from the weird Egyptian look of the Goa'uld ships and the military look of the Earth ships. Looked cool.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Hmm. I'm going to use my willpower and not look ahead to what you mean. Season 4. Carter and something else cool. :emoji_thumbsup:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Just finished Pegasus Project. Awesome. :D Daniel finally at Atlantis. Sam and Rodney back together. Beauty shots of Atlantis in angles not normally seen on that show. A really cool cross.

The hero shot of Sam on disc one is really delectable.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
Can't find it online, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks