What's new

General Stargate questions (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Season 7 is done. Finito. Excellent closer. It could have been released to the theaters.

Anyway, time to gird my loins for some all-new (to me) Stargate!

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i liked all seasons of SG-1 & SGA. they are very entertaining SF. latter seasons tend to reference back episodes a lot more than earlier seasons.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, the two opening episodes of season 8 were awesome. The Daniel Jackson. Ha! I love the Asgard. I was a little thrown by the recasting of Weir, but I like Torri already. She looks really good in downgraded HD (aka DVD)--the kind of face that just pops on closeups, if that makes any sense. I wish there had been some discussion of the switch on the commentary, but they had Gary Jones sitting in and it sounded like they were going to crack jokes the whole time rather than discuss the behind-the-scenes stuff.

I wanted to jump into Atlantis, but I had watched four episodes in a row and knew I'd be too tired to make it through. I'll watch it later today. Then, it's time to start swapping discs. I've got my jewel case standing by, since that's the way I do it when I'm watching different discs at one time.

Arild

Supporting Actor
As far as I know, the reason behind the switch is still a mystery. I don't think the producers have commented on it, ever.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Chee whiz! I started this thread in early September, so it's taken me at least four months to get as far as I have (about halfway through SG1 S8/SGA S1). I just wish I knew how far into it I was when I first posted.

S8 has been pretty good. The only episode I really didn't like was Icon, which seemed like a rehash of the Eurondans and Kalowonans. Like Star Trek, the Stargate people seem to have trouble coming up with realistic multinational planets. The problem I have with this season, though, is that we've seen very little of SG-1 so far. It seems like it's mainly from the general's perspective on the base, which is interesting. But, I think when there is a change, they ought to spend a little more time defining it. Namely,

SG-1 as a three man unit, with Carter's leadership on display. It's a situation that won't last long, so I wish we could see more of it

Atlantis has been pretty good all the way through, but the first three episodes after the pilot were a little ho-hum. It picked up after that, though. The last one I watched--The Eye--was awesome. I haven't minded Sheppard throughout, but here he became pretty kick ass. Die Hard With a Zat'nik'tel.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Bought S2. Now I just have two more to buy and two and a half seasons of SG1 and three and a half seasons of SGA to go. I just hope season 5 comes out before the Universe pilot. Otherwise, I'll have to keep it on my DVR for a while. I also hope my cable company will get SciFiHD before it premieres. Unlikely.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Yeah, with a little religious fanaticism thrown in. The follow-up episode in season 9 is better, though.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Forgot to mention that it's weird that they cast that Tollan dude as Weir's left-behind boyfriend. He was a little too prominent on SG1 to make sense in another role, but I guess they liked the actor and wanted to use him again. So far, it's so minor a role that it doesn't seem like it was worth it. Then again, I just read that they originally wanted Hewlett in a brand new role, which would have really been a big mistake.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Watched the Defiant One. So awesome. If this show can keep the level of quality of the last several episodes. . . .

I just wish someone had wondered if these were the same species of bugs from Prodigy. Sheppard would likely not know about them, but McKay might. It's not unrealistic that no one on the planet would have read that particlar mission report, but it had me curious. Maybe it's mentioned on the commentary.

Edit: P. DeLuise directed both. He would have obviously remembered the little glowing guys. Now I really want to hear the commentary.

BTW, is the cartoon worth buying at all?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
SGA's good and bad episodes come and go, even by season5. it comes in spurts, and sometimes not at all.

PS don't waste ur time on the cartoon. nothing to do with this creative team.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
all of SG-1 and SGA are just entertainment for all of us =). i think there are few sci-fi fans who will rank it amongst BSG, Lost, Star Trek, etc. it's just not the same. it's good entertainment.

i think SGU is trying to be like a BSG, Lost, Trek, etc. that's the hope, if they do succeed, i'll be very happy because the SG Universe is a very fertile and rich universe to create excellent stories. unfortunately, SGU sounds a lot like star trek with destiny being the USS enterprise.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, I think Stargate and Battlestar are trying to accomplish two different things. I think Stargate more wants to be like Star Wars than Star Trek--fun and action-packed. Personally, though I watch it, I don't get any enjoyment from Battlestar. It's bleak, joyless and cynical. I think it's self-important as well. I'm not sure why I even watch it, but you don't see me posting in the thread because I'm not interested in going against the grain.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Arild, I'm glad I took your advice and am watching the show simultaneously, as I instantly recognized the Jumper when SG-1 found it during It's Good To Be the King. One of the best episodes of the entire run, by the way.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Arild, don't want to give you a swelled head, but your method paid off again! First, since I watched Citizen Joe and Before I Sleep on the same night, I was able to note how interesting it was that they originally aired two clips shows on the same night, and in both, they were really playing with the formula (though, really, Before I Sleep just incorporated a single major flashback). More importantly, the Atlantis gang discovered a jumper with a strange device in it and didn't know what it was. I was yelling, "It's a time ship!"
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
The evidence is pretty clear that this Janus guy went back to earth 10,000 years ago, built a new time ship, and he was the same one using time travel to study Maybourne's planet. Cool. I probably would have missed all of that if I was holding one series or the other back until I was done.

Arild

Supporting Actor
There's another cross-reference in the SG-1 episode "Threads", but it's kind of subtle. One might even say "hidden". I'm curious to see if you'll notice it. ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That's on the agenda for tonight, so I'll take a look. I caught the reference in Letters from Pegasus when Walter and Sam showed up for two seconds. :laugh: Also, SG-1 has started using things from Atlantis more and more. The screen for the Ancient weapon in Reckoning Pt 2 was from the Atlantis sets, and there's the jumper on the cover of disc 5.

It ran for a long time, but I still happened to miss Best Buy's $19.99 sale on the last two available seasons. :frowning: I figured I'd buy them as I finished previous seasons to spread out the cost, but that was a mistake. At least DDD has them for just a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks