General Receiver question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_Ho, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Jeff_Ho

Jeff_Ho Extra

hello,
    If anyone of you are familiar with it, I just purchased a Outlaw Audio 1050 receiver last week and finally got to hook it up last night. So far I'm not impressed with it. Here's my scenario. I have had a Sony STR-AV320 Receiver 2X50w 2 channel no surround of course for the last 10 years. I also have purchased 2 Polk Audio RT55i's and this receiver drives them nicely would good bass. More than I would expect out of this small cabinet of 2 6 1/2" and tweeter. So I hook up this Outlaw Audio last night and set the bass up. And couldn't believe it. It doesn't even hit as hard as Sony and it's supposed to have 65w/channel. This thing should be just slamming those speakers.
    My question is , from your guys's experience with Denon, and other brands what is a good receiver that has good solid bass. As it's plane to see here, I shouldn't need alot of power to get good bass. I was thinking of going my original route and purchase a Sony ES receiver but there's been a lot of talk about Denon , Harmon Kardon, and Onkyo lately.
    Thanks in advance,
    Jeff[​IMG]

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm not familiar with the 1050, but did you check the sub and speaker size settings? If you have the speakers set to small, you will not get a lot of bass out of them, but I bet if you turn it up, the Outlaw will give you a much greater volume before it clips vs the Sony.

3. Jeff_Ho

Jeff_Ho Extra

yeah I agree with the clipping issue. I everything thing is set to the way they specify in the book ( Outlaw) and it still doesn't punch the speakers like the Sony. Something must be wrong with this receiver. From what everyone says about this thing, it should be pounding those speakers hard.

Jeff

4. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

As stated in the above post, make sure you do not have your speakers set to "small". If you are having problems with the bass it is most likely your configuration, if you can get sound out of it, you should be able to get bass out of it.

So, set it up with large fronts only and no subwoofer and you should be fine.

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Also, make sure you have not wired one of your speakers out of phase. This is an often overlooked thing which results in terrible sound.

6. Jeff_Ho

Jeff_Ho Extra

Yeah, I've done all of the above. Seems like it's starting to lean toward a defective unit. Thanks for your replies. It doesn't even sound different when I switch from Small to Large speakers.

Jeff

7. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Jeff, unlike older receivers, most all current receivers have volume controls that are not linier they are logrithmic (sp?). This means when you want to increase the volume it takes alot more turning of the knob on the new receiver to effect a change at lower volume levels. When you are used to an older receiver with a linier volume control vs the newer receiver it will at first always be perceived to have less power, but it is not true, you just have to turn the knob more. Experiment a bit on the new receiver with this in mind.

Regards, Nick

8. Jeff_Ho

Jeff_Ho Extra

I've taken that into consideration Nick Thanks. Volume should have no play though in lower frequency response and bass output .Yes the louder you go, the more the speakers would move, but if I turn the volume up more to a reasonable listening level ( same as Sony turned up just a little bit) there is still not as much bass as the other. To tell you the truth, I like the new type of volume better than the old. So it's not a terrible change to the new for me. Kind of like it,