General Questions - New Tivo Owner

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Patrick Larkin, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

hi -

I have a couple questions about Tivo.

1. I tried to set up a "Season Pass" to record the John Stewart Show. The show is on 4 times a day, 10am, 7pm, 11pm, and 1 am. I want Tivo to record the 1am showing every night. I found the 1 am showing and then clicked on "Setup Season Pass" or whatever it says. When I go to the ToDo list, it shows ALL of the showings - 4 times a day - listed on its To Do list. Is there something I'm missing here?

2. I've had the Tivo for two days and when I get home from work or when I wake up, there are shows recorded I didn't request. When I clicked in "Now Playing on Tivo" there were two shows - Conan O'Brien and "Inside Cuba" that I didn't ask for it to record. Does the Tivo record stuff by itself?

Thanks.

2. Patrick Larkin

hi -

I have a couple questions about Tivo.

1. I tried to set up a "Season Pass" to record the John Stewart Show. The show is on 4 times a day, 10am, 7pm, 11pm, and 1 am. I want Tivo to record the 1am showing every night. I found the 1 am showing and then clicked on "Setup Season Pass" or whatever it says. When I go to the ToDo list, it shows ALL of the showings - 4 times a day - listed on its To Do list. Is there something I'm missing here?

2. I've had the Tivo for two days and when I get home from work or when I wake up, there are shows recorded I didn't request. When I clicked in "Now Playing on Tivo" there were two shows - Conan O'Brien and "Inside Cuba" that I didn't ask for it to record. Does the Tivo record stuff by itself?

Thanks.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Yes, it records shows it thinks you'll like, based on the ones you've already selected. You can turn this off under TiVo Messages and Setup, Settings, Preferences, TiVo Suggestions.

M.

4. Michael Reuben

Yes, it records shows it thinks you'll like, based on the ones you've already selected. You can turn this off under TiVo Messages and Setup, Settings, Preferences, TiVo Suggestions.

M.

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    1. The Jon Stewart show does not provide adequate data to determine whether or not it's a first run or a repeat. It's been discussed at length over at Tivo Community. The work-around is to schedule a timed recording for the particular time you want.

-Robert

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    1. The Jon Stewart show does not provide adequate data to determine whether or not it's a first run or a repeat. It's been discussed at length over at Tivo Community. The work-around is to schedule a timed recording for the particular time you want.

-Robert

7. Patrick Larkin

Bummer. Yes, I do have it set to "First Run" only and it did it anyway. I went through and setup the next 5 shows manually. Are you suggesting I tell it to record Channel X at 1:00am every day?

8. Patrick Larkin

Bummer. Yes, I do have it set to "First Run" only and it did it anyway. I went through and setup the next 5 shows manually. Are you suggesting I tell it to record Channel X at 1:00am every day?

9. Michael Reuben

Yes, that's what you have to do when the guide doesn't provide enough information to separate reruns from first-run. I didn't realize The Daily Show was one of those, but I've encountered it with other shows.

M.

10. Michael Reuben

Yes, that's what you have to do when the guide doesn't provide enough information to separate reruns from first-run. I didn't realize The Daily Show was one of those, but I've encountered it with other shows.

M.