What's new

General Questions about Purchasing an RPTV (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Well, the day is almost here. I've been saving for 6 months, and come late October I will purchase a new Panny 53WX42. Since I'm reletively young (20), I've got a few symantics questions regarding the purchase. First, do you veterans prefer buying online, or buying from a B&M. I was considering Onecall, but then I thought I could haggle if I just bought it from BB...what do you guys think.

And the big question is, what do I have to do to get the delivery guys to bring it up to my apartment. I live on the 3rd floor of a building that doesn't have any elevators...and I'd probably need get it out of the box in the hallway too. I could have a friend or two help with most of it, but I'd rather have them do the lifting, so I don't damage it.

Thanks for the help...

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
I would buy almost anything for my Home Theater on-line, and I often do (DVD players, receivers, speakers, etc.)

There is ONE item I personally will not buy on-line, though: a large TV set.

All on-line dealers I have checked will NOT give you that "30 day return it for money back," or "30 day exchange," or "30 day trade up," etc. Once you accept delivery, that is it. You own that set. If you find a major defect 30 minutes after the delivery guys leave, you must now deal with the normal warranty process.

I do buy from OneCall, and I do trust them. They are great. I bought my current DVD player from them. Great E-Tailer (or phone order dealer). However, I have read their policies, and the above is true of them, and all others I have checked, and all I have heard of.

==============

>>> And the big question is, what do I have to do to get the delivery guys to bring it up to my apartment. I live on the 3rd floor of a building that doesn't have any elevators...and I'd probably need get it out of the box in the hallway too. I could have a friend or two help with most of it, but I'd rather have them do the lifting, so I don't damage it.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Okay, thanks for the great post. I'll try to buy the set at BB first, and I'll make sure I tell the sales guy exactly how I need it delivered. I can't think of any other way to do it. I don't care so much about saving money as far as delivery is concerned, I just don't want to be lugging a 200 lb set up 3 flights of stairs.

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,

I actually found that I could not haggle with BB sales people, but Stephanie at OneCall gave me a great price on my Toshiba 42H82. It was 1799.00 at BB and they would not budge!

It was also 1799.00 at OneCall + 10% off sale. On top of that she price matched ABTelectronics (another authorized E-tailer). Final price for the set was 1451.10 + 155.00 shipping. You can also opt for the "white glove" service which includes delivery into the room where the TV will sit and unpacking. I also beleive it includes setup and testing but you should check OneCall for that. ALso check ABTElectronics.

Good Luck.

Kevin N

Stunt Coordinator
Just a question...what about lugging a 200 pound TV down stairs? :) Or are you going to have movers do that?

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
Matt:
How about price matching it at your local Sears?
Many people have posted about how they got their RPTV at
Sears price matched to Onecall and other mayor e-tailers.

Regards.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Just a question...what about lugging a 200 pound TV down stairs? Or are you going to have movers do that?
I'll cross that bridge when I come to it :D
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. Do you know if Sears carries Pannys?
Also, regarding Onecall.com...any idea how much more White Glove is?
Thanks again guys!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Wow, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that has ever been in this predicament. I'll make sure to tell them to take it out of the box if need be then...because my stairwells are reletively tight too. I had to move my couch in vertically, and that was pretty close.

Thanks!

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
Do not be afraid to try to negotiate at the Mom and Pop audio video places, the higher end shops, and the applicance stores (including a Sears.) MOST will negotiate. Some will resist at first, but I found that most will come around, when you start to get that wallet out...

That said, I bought my 65" Mits at a "middle level" chain. It was a Tweeter (a Douglas TV, bought out by Tweeter.) At first they would not budge. Then, they moved, but only $200.

I shopped at four places, negotiated a lot, and finally went from a TOTAL COST (after taxes, 5 year warranty, white gloove delivery including setup and very basic "calibration"), everything:

Original: $4068.00
Final Cost: $3065.00

This was less than the only Internet prices I could find (which were from UNAUTHORIZED dealers, and I would never have bought this way). It was better than the same model has gone for on E-Bay (repeatedly, seven or eight times since I bought). And, those would have been without any tax payment to the dealers, of course.

It took two and a half weeks of SERIOUS shopping, a lot of driving, and walking out on a couple of "offers." It also took a price-match.

I am not promising similar results. This was two months before the new year's models were going to be released, so I may have caught the very beginning of the "time to get rid of last year's." Your milage will certainly vary. I am simply stating that one should not overlook the "better" dealers, or the high end shops, out of a fear that they are "too high in price." Most will move at least some. And, that some may put you in the same league as the popular chains. And, the customer care from these places is ALWAYS better than any Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.

Just my opinion...

Micah Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Looking at the calendar, when is a good time to get deals on "last year's models"? In other words, when do next year's models start coming out?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks