General Question regarding Contrast/Brightness levels

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Bennett, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Hi,

I've got a Samsung TXL2791F Direct view 27" set. I've calibrated it with Avia and I have the brightness at 38% and the contrast at 45%. It looks great but I'm just wondering if these values seem too high. The picture looks about right to me and these are the results avia yielded but I'm just curious if these are in the right neighborhood to help my phosphors last. Thanks for any input.

2. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

Hi Dave, I am not familiar with your TV but it would seem to me that the value of the Brightness should be a bit higher then the value of the contrast. In most cases it is the contrast that you would want to keep at a lower setting. I have also read that it depends on how the TV was calibrated at the factory. Your contrast on screen menu may say it is @ 45% but in reality it may be closer to 30% of what the TV is actually capable of. I guess the bottom line is if you are happy with the picture at those settings then that may be the right settings for your TV.

Roy.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

The level of lighting in the room at the time you do your calibration will affect your results.
    If you saw blooming when using Video Essentials or Avia, in order to prolong the life of the phosphors, turn down the contrast significantly below that point even if the test patterns say otherwise. Then redo the calibrations around this constraint, darkening the room as an additional parameter change to get the remaining calibrations to come out right.
    If you did not see blooming, contrast under a half for direct view and under a third for RPTV/FPTV should be safe for the phosphors.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Cool thanks for the info. I don't think I saw blooming until the level was up very high(like 70 or more) but I'll double check to be sure. I did the calibration is the same lighting I watch DVDs in so I'd imagine I'll get the same results again. Thanks for the info.