General Home Theater Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan Reber, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Nathan Reber

Nathan Reber Extra

This is a basement home theater. I have drylocked the walls. Then insulated behind metal studs and run all the wiring I think that I will need. I have constructed a 9x9 platform for second row seating. I have put up drywall on ceiling and insulated it. I started doing the walls last weekend. I insulated the interior walls. But the exterior ones I didn't due to I thought insulation against block was good but now wondering if I should have insulated those walls to before drywall. Any Comments welcomed. The room is 13'X23.5'x7.5'.
    Thanks,
    Nathan

2. Kerry Hackney

Kerry Hackney Stunt Coordinator

In the winter, my basement HT is normally a little cooler than the rest of the house even with all of the walls insulated. That is also true in the summer which is a good thing. Part of that has to do with the natural fact that heat rises into the upper floors. Depending on the capacity of your HVAC system I would tend to err on the side of too much insulation. In the grand scheme of things the cost isn't that much and it will only be about a days work.

3. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Nathan,

I'm in the Heating and A/C biz so I guess I can try to help.

Generally the vinyl covered insulation used in (new construction) basements is rated at R-6. If your basement walls are below grade you'll be okay. If your basement walls are only partially below grade I would advise you to add insulation to that portion of the wall that is above grade, R-19 should do it. Bare block walls are not a good idea. Make sure that you have provided for adequate ventilation in your HT before you get to far along with the drywall. The building codes in my area require forced ventilation if the room is equiped with a door that seperates it from the rest of the house and if the room does not have functional windows. Hope this helps, if not you can send me an e-mail and I'll try to clarify.

Frank

4. Nathan Reber

Nathan Reber Extra

Thanks for the info. The room does have a door and two small windows. There is a vent and cold air return in the room. The basement is all below ground basically. So I think as far as heat okay. I am wondering more about the 2.5" cavity that I left for sound purposes.

Thanks again