general guidelines for choosing ps2/X/cube?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tom milton, Dec 14, 2001.

1. tom milton

tom milton Agent

i want to purchase a PS2, game cube, or X box primarily to give the cousins something to play with when they visit. ok, i'll admit i might give it a try, also! i'm looking for some general guidelines for choosing between the three. i plan on having a limited selection of "basic" games (something like race cars, star wars or fighter plane combat, and a shoot 'em up like doom). compatibility with a rear projection tv is a big factor.

i sure would appreciate any tips and advice. thanks!

2. Rob N

Rob N Agent

Tom - I was in the same boat (sort of). My wife and I decided to get a gaming system for the family for Christmas. We have two daughters (ages 5 and 7) and none of us are what you'd call "hard core" gamers. So, as you can see we needed a system that had something for everyone.

If it were just for the kids we'd get a PS1 or N64 as they are clearly set up for the younger gamer with a ton of "kids" games. If it were just for me I'd go with an XBOX (better graphics and sound and a controler set up for larger hands). The Game Cube looked real interesting and I proabaly would have gone with it except for the fact the right now the few games that are available for it are not the best for my kids ages. A year from now the Game Cube proabably will be the best family gaming system, once they get a larger selection of games.

So that leaves us with what we wound up with, a PS2. In my opinion, it had the best overall selection of games for the family (kids and adults, and most PS1 titles will work on the PS2) and the sound and graphics are nearly as good as the cube and xbox.

So, like most people here reccomend: go with the system that has the games you want to play.

3. William_L

William_L Extra

I'm, also in the same boat. My 14 year old son wants a PS2, but I think I'd rather get the X-Box.
    I will probably go for the PS2 though, because he knows more about these game machines than I do (and after all, it is for him [​IMG]

4. tom milton

tom milton Agent

thanks for the input. i see a similar thread in the forum that i'll check as well (didn't quite see the answer to my question before posting). the kids in question are almost teens so the game cube might be out.

5. Marc B

Marc B Auditioning

Here is what I suggest you do to determine the console for you:
    Get a list of the current and upcoming games for each console. Count the number of games for each that you want and buy whichever system has the most games you think you will want to play [​IMG]
    PS - just because the kids are teens doesn't mean the gamecube should be discounted. Nintendo has quite a few more mature titles coming... they are trying to change the kiddie image.

6. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

Basic guidelines
    Needs-
    What gaming needs are their in your home? Adults? Children?
    Wife?
    What extra features does the console have that can meet other needs? DVD, CD? Ripping CD music to the XBOX for later playback is a cool plus for example.
    Cost
    How much are you willing to spend? Will you need extra controllers, cables etc? Does the system have an older Library like the Ps2 and you can buy old games for a song?
    Library
    Are there enough games now to satisfy you for a system? Does your local rental store have a decent Library of games for a particular system? Will a system CONTINUE to put out a steady flow of games.
    Preference Does the system have a controller that suits you? Is it pleasing to the eye with the rest of your equipment?
    By now I am sure you know these facts:
    The XBOX
    is $299 And will support online play via a high speed modem connection such as Cable. It will have games more geared for adult gamers 15-35. It has a hard drive so memory cards aren't necessary and you can save music to your system for later playback on your stereo. It is the best DVD player out of the 2 that have it but a $30 remote is required. If you desire Dolby Surround sound there is no optical cable jack unless you spend $20+ on a separate adapter. The controllers are said to be large, Although I find them comfortable. The cables are 9+ feet so distance won't be a problem.
    The PS2
    Is $299 backwards compatible with PSone games, has the deepest library of newer games, an established, large user base. No hard drive although one is coming as well as a modem. It has a built in otical jack as well as USB and Firewire for Keyboard and mouse use.
    The Nintendo Gamecube
    The cheapest at $199 will feature a large quantity of games aimed at younger gamers. No DVD support, add on modem to come later. The cords are shorter on this system so that could be an issue. You can count on many fun games for the whole family but like the N64 there may be less to choose from. Time will tell.
    PSONE/DREAMCAST
    Both these systems have a large extensive library of cheap games and both systems can be had for less than $100. The Dreamcast can play online now but I hear they are enacting a fee for games.
    I hope I was helpful. I have them all so any questions I can answer please ask.

7. tom milton

tom milton Agent

great info! thanks a lot. the dvd capability likely will give the nod to the xbox, as i could kill two birds with one appliance (no dvd player in this house, yet). no surround system, either, but that is an upcoming project.

as far as picking games, what is a good review source (i'm sure some games are better than others) for helping to narrow down the choices? initial interest would be a race car game, either a star wars or fighter jet type of game, and possibly a shooter game like doom or duke nukem.

thanks again for all the help!

8. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

Well, here's the simple way to narrow down your game choices for the Xbox:

1. Project Gotham Racing

2. Star Wars: Starfighter SE (or, Air Force Delta Storm)

3. Halo

I think that Gamespot.com is probably the best remaining game review site on the web.

Gamerankings.com also collects reviews from a wide variety of sources, and averages them together.

9. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Whoa, whoa, if you don't have a DVD player, go with the XBox and pick up the remote control. [​IMG] See Gary's game recommendations above.

10. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Best Reviewing Site?
    Depends on what kind of review you seek... Gamespot is good with short, overall reviews (I find them a bit biased for one sytem... cough, X, cough... against the others) and their news division is the best in the business, but I think the best review website is IGN.com.
    Their reviews cover all aspects of the game (video, sound, design, etc) against similar games for the same system, and in some cases (where there are multiversion) across systems. SSX Tricky is a good example... in the GC review they review it according to how good the gameplay is and note that if you only have a GC it's well worth your time, but if you have a PS2 as well that it's better to purchase the PS2 version over the GC one. They also provide news, hardware reviews, codes and guides. The only negative is that their advertising scheme seems to be pulling in less money in the downturned economy, so some of the really good stuff is subscription-based.
    IGN.com is divided up by platform (they also review other things... DVDs, etc).
    cube.ign.com
    ps2.ign.com
    xbox.ign.com

11. Kip

Kip Stunt Coordinator

Yeah David, I would agree. IGN is probably the best site for game reviews. It's really nice, expecially with all the multiplatform releases, that they point out the differences in the various releases. Helpful to me since I have all the consoles!!

Also, Gamerankings.com is great for an overall take on a game without too much bias or reading . If a game averages over 90% after a couple of dozen reviews, it's a pretty sure bet that it's a great game.

Kip

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

GameFAQs.com has a user review section for each game, so if you want a bunch of reviews from regular people, thats a good place to go.

13. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I use both Gamespot and IGN. Gamespot is stricter, thus, I compare the two. If it gets a good score for both, I buy sight unseen.

14. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

I prefer Gamespot over IGN. Why? I think IGN usually gives "really good" scores or "really bad" scores, whereas Gamespot seems to be a bit more even-handed. But this is only my view, and so far Gamespot has tended to match my own opinions. I guess I am also a bit disgruntled by having to browse through those "Subscribe NOW for only $0.10 per day!" pages. Gamespot is still free, and I can't complain.

Also, don't discount Gamesdomain.com, a UK based outfit that sometimes offers a nice perspective on games. It is free, and at least worth a quick surf over to have a look.