What's new

General Dish/VCR video hookup question (1 Viewer)

brian reis

Grip
I currently have Dish signal coming in via std cable. Out into receiver via S video to TV Video 2. I currently have std cable going from dish to VCR to TV. I want to run VCR through video 2 (on TV) instead of having to goto ch 3. But I currently have video cables on VCR going out to receiver and out of receiver back to VCR. I assume I would have to run composite out of dish to VCR. How would I do that? Just unhook the video coming in from receiver? How would recording work after that? I used to have to put the VCR on ch3 and record whatever channel the dish is on. I still need to keep the std cable from dish to VCR because I have an antenna for my local channels. Guess I could run straight to TV. Please help

brian reis

Grip
I know there is something simple that I am missing and I know that most of you guys out there have your VCR running to one of your TV's video inputs. Please help.

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
i can't figure out what you're trying to say in your second sentence...i think if you clarify it a bit, you'll get some responses-
p

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It probably is simple, Brian, but your post is confusing. That’s why no one has replied. For instance, I can’t tell if you’re trying to figure out a way to hook both your receiver and VCR to the TV’s “Video 2” input, trying to integrate the Direct TV, VCR and TV antenna into your system, or trying to figure out the best way to record Direct TV.

Also, when you say “receiver,” you need to clarify if you are talking about the Direct TV receiver, or an A/V receiver. I get the feeling you’re referring to both in your post, but I’m really not sure.

If you can make it clear what you need to accomplish, maybe someone can help you.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

brian reis

Grip
Sorry about that. OK, scratch recording at all for now.

I have Dish coming into HK520 via S video and S video on the monitor out of HK520. When I push Sat button on HK, it gives me Dish picture on my video 2 of my TV.

I also want to run the video out of my VCR to my HK and monitor out to video 2 of TV so I won't have to switch to channel 3 to watch VCR movies. Only difference is VCR is only composite video. I tried VCR video out to HK VCR in. Added RCA video cable to monitor out on HK to TV video 2. It does not work. Manual says hook VCR out to HK in and HK out to VCR in. Does that make any better sense?

brian reis

Grip
Please let me know if this makes more sense. Still trying to get this to work. It's got to have something to do with out of VCR to in HK receiver. Then out of HK receiver to in VCR. The monitor out is not working with composite.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Brian,

The problem is that the HK will not “mix and match” composite and S-video. You will either need to get an S-VHS VCR, or change over to all-composite video cables.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

brian reis

Grip
But I totally unhooked the S video out of the HK receiver and used the composite and I still couldn't get a picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks