general brand opinion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Jenkinson, Nov 11, 2001.

1. David Jenkinson

David Jenkinson Auditioning

I'm in the market for a receiver upgrade, and have narrowed down my choice models from 4 brands:
    Harman Kardon, Denon, Onkyo, and Pioneer.
    I currently own a Harmon Kardon avr45, and am very happy with it's sound/performance, but it's about 2-3 years old and doesn't have all the inputs I'm needing now (namely switched component video and digital sound inputs). So in one way I'm a bit biased towards HK, but I realize there are other brands out there that may sound just as good or better. I am looking in the $500-$800 price range.
    Anybody have bad experiences with any of them? Which one has generally better sound engineering in your opinion?
    Any other brands you would recommend? Thanks.

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Since you have been happy with your HK, I would look into getting a nice up to date HK.
    HK makes fine equipment and will more than compete with your choices!
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i agree with sean. if you're already happy with hk, there's no reason to switch. the brands you mentioned are all worthy and would make a fine choice.
    if you still want to shop around, i'd also include outlaw and yamaha in your list.
    i like onkyos because i feel they offer good performance and features for the money. (i currently own one). but i think for my next choice i'll be looking closely at denon or possibly separates.
    i'm not a big fan of pioneer, but it's just personal preference.
    ------------------
    "The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)