What's new

Gene Siskel is a Stuffed Shirt! (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Yeah, ok, I'm prejudiced since I like all three. I still think Siskel needed to pull out that corncob that was stuck up his ....

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Kind of an unnecessary topic Johnny. Not like this is just coming out and has never been seen before.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Gene Siskel did love Full Metal Jacket, and not just the first 40 minutes. He was cool.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Always liked Gene; he had a great personality. His life was tragically cut short and we are the poorer for it. The contributions that he and Roger made to the industry can not be overstated. They were fun to watch and provided valuable exposure to the movies they featured. Regardless if the viewer agreed with their opinions or not they were always entertaining and did not appeal to the lowest common denominator. I disagreed with a lot of Ebert's later in life thoughts but still have a lot of respect for him.

RIP to them both.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In the spirit of this topic, I will state that Gene Siskel's slamming Kate Winslet's "over the top" Oscar nominated performance in TITANIC (1997), actually angered me at the time, as I thought it was such a ridiculous assessment. On that same "If We Picked The Winners" show, Roger Ebert called him out on it twice, first in strongly disagreeing, Mr. Ebert himself stating he thought Kate's performance was Oscar nomination worthy; second in arguing that Joan Cusack's Oscar nominated performance for IN AND OUT (1997), which Gene loved, was way more over the top than Kate Winslet's! I was in full agreement with Roger Ebert in this particular instance.

That said, Mr. Siskel and Mr. Ebert had an undeniable chemistry, and I very much miss their rapport! As critics, in my opinion, they were also extraordinarily entertaining!

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
They had great chemistry. Siskel, and Ebert were so passionate about movies. I continued on with Ebert and his guest reviewers after Gene's death, but it was never the same. Not even close really.
I don't listen to any particular critics anymore. For me, there just aren't any that really stand out. When Roger Ebert died, that was it for me, really!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Yeah, ok, I'm prejudiced since I like all three. I still think Siskel needed to pull out that corncob that was stuck up his ....

I love all three films, I respected his film opinions even if I disagreed with them. I truly missed Siskel and Ebert and when I lived in Illinois, I would read their reviews in both the Sun-Times and Tribune.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched Sneak Previews all the years it was on PBS. Strangely, when it went into syndication, I was less interested in it. I was writing my own criticism and often found myself at odds with them over sometimes basic comments about classics and modern movies. Though I think they respected each other as journalists, I never got the feeling they liked each other AT ALL and stayed together due to the lucrative nature of the arrangement that made them millionaires.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
In the spirit of this topic, I will state that Gene Siskel's slamming Kate Winslet's "over the top" Oscar nominated performance in TITANIC (1997), actually angered me at the time, as I thought it was such a ridiculous assessment. On that same "If We Picked The Winners" show, Roger Ebert called him out on it twice, first in strongly disagreeing, Mr. Ebert himself stating he thought Kate's performance was Oscar nomination worthy; second in arguing that Joan Cusack's Oscar nominated performance for IN AND OUT (1997), which Gene loved, was way more over the top than Kate Winslet's! I was in full agreement with Roger Ebert in this particular instance.

That said, Mr. Siskel and Mr. Ebert had an undeniable chemistry, and I very much miss their rapport! As critics, in my opinion, they were also extraordinarily entertaining!

Ok, here I go again, cherry picking the post that most agrees with me. I've watched Titanic several times and like Kate Winslet's performance and really don't get the "over the top" comment. Dislike her performance, ok, but it's not "over the top."

I watched Sneak Previews all the years it was on PBS. Strangely, when it went into syndication, I was less interested in it. I was writing my own criticism and often found myself at odds with them over sometimes basic comments about classics and modern movies. Though I think they respected each other as journalists, I never got the feeling they liked each other AT ALL and stayed together due to the lucrative nature of the arrangement that made then millionaires.
I remember one episode where Siskel commented about Ebert being overweight. It was uncalled for and disrespectful. I didn't always agree with Ebert, but Siskel had an attitude that some films "were beneath him." He was snide.

Yeah there was something about the two of them that made the show special. My wife and I always watched it. I was cruising thru youtube and played these reviews one after the other, and was struck how haughty Siskel was, that's why I posted.

I certainly agree that this post was unnecessary. How many posts and discussions would we have here if we eliminated all unnecessary posts? Who would decide that?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I enjoyed their show and their rapport and I liked it when they disagreed. I have never taken any critics opinion as important to my personal feelings on a film. I actually enjoy an opposing viewpoint because I think it can be very interesting. So when Siskel and Ebert would have a debate and they disagreed I think that was when the show was most interesting.

With those guys gone I would say the critic I most enjoy (this does not mean agree with) is Mark Kermode. I enjoy his reviews and his blog and discussions he has about film. He is passionate about pictures in the same way Siskel and Ebert were and I don't think he bashes films just to say something cheeky.

I am fine with people not liking pictures I like...in fact I think that is supposed to happen. I think the key with film critics is how they discuss the film. So, even when Kermode is giving a Johnny Depp Pirates movie a bad review (he is known for disliking that franchise) I think he is being fair and honest with what he says and it is interesting to listen to. I have enjoyed some of the Pirates films but the fact that he tends to despise them amuses me I guess.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
One thing I always thought that was different about Siskel and Ebert was Ebert seemed to me to love boobs and B-movies and anything related to them more than Siskel ever did. So, if you were watching them review some sort of sci-fi or horror film or a genre picture I always felt like Ebert would probably be more generous toward it than Siskel would.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
After Siskel & Ebert left At The Movies in 1986 they were replaced by Rex Reed & Dixie Whatley and i still remember to this day Rex reviewing The Blob (1988) remake.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
One thing I always thought that was different about Siskel and Ebert was Ebert seemed to me to love boobs and B-movies and anything related to them...
Yeah, I think one of the reasons that I always liked Ebert's reviews is that he didn't have a bias against movies that aren't 'serious' like many critics.

Also, any guy that wrote Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls is OK in my book.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Kind of an unnecessary topic Johnny. Not like this is just coming out and has never been seen before.

And yet, you still choose to respond to it!

Anyway, I used to love watching Siskel & Ebert every Sunday morning, even if I don't get to see most of the movies that they review. Especially love it when they would argue. That is when sometimes, it is not so much whether the movie is good or not, but how hilarious it can be, when 2 would argue about it. Here is one in particular. Just go to around the 2:40 mark.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I stopped reading Ebert's reviews in the latter part of his career, because he exhibited an annoying inconsistency. He would dislike a film for the same reason he liked another, and vice versa. This made him useless as a film critic. I didn't always agree with Siskel, but I think his presence forced Ebert to provide a sound basis for his opinions.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I remember one episode where Siskel commented about Ebert being overweight. It was uncalled for and disrespectful.

I used to laugh about it back then, but now, I do find it cringeworthy. I can remember the review of Heavy Weights, when Ebert brought the issue up with Siskel towards the end of it.

http://siskelandebert.org/video/4A9GAK27G9ND/Heavy-Weights-1995-Siskel-amp-Ebert8217s-Review

These days, I just watch some of the YouTube critics, like Chris Stuckmann and Jeremy Jahns, if I want to get a feel of how the movie is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babarrun
Recent bookmarks