What's new

Gene Kelly used to create breakdancing "Singin' in the Rain" for Volkswagen (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Just out of curiosity - if someone had used cel-based animation to create an animated character who was recognizably Gene Kelly from Singin In The Rain doing the same thing, would that be as objectionable?

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Well, Gene in his later years did attempt to appear in step with modern trends in the movie "Xanadu". I think he even attempted a little disco dancing. Not his finest moment, but if he did that, I'm not sure he would have objected to breakdancing. And I'm sure his estate doesn't object to the money Volkswagon paid!

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Perhaps he wouldn't have objected. Myself, I think the ad's pretty funny, and not disrespectful of Mr. Kelly at all. But he's not around to be asked, and so this shouldn't have been done.

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
While it may be questionable as to its "respect to the material" its a pretty neat achievement of technology. Also, Gene Kelly was such a strong dancer that its quite possible (had he wanted to) that he could have actually performed it.
I also like the remix of the song. Not at all traditional, but i'm a big fan of this kind of stuff- provided the original material still exists unaltered.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

But his estate is, and their purpose is to decide such things, so blame them for it.

Personally, I thought it was rather bizzare.

Jason

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I don't like companies pimping dead people for their wares. I don't care whether the estate gave the go-ahead or not, it just seems in poor taste to me.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Amy:

Xanadu, my favorite "bad" movie of all time, was the last film in which Mr. Kelly sang, danced, and acted. No, Amy, he didn't disco dance; he did roller skate pretty well, however. :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
My favorite in the post-death irony department…

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
Okay, I gotta update; When I first posted I was at work and for some unknown reason we can't view QT movies. Having now seen it I have to say it is creepy and wrong....very wrong.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Not to mention they made it widescreen. The OAR should be 1.37:1 !!

:)

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Okay, 20 seconds of Lawrence Olivier's head as a hologram in Sky Captain is one thing, but this is entirely another. It's not the even concept that bothers me so much as the execution...the MOVEMENT in that thing is so wierd and unnatural it made my skin crawl! I pity the poor fool who had to spend weeks animating/comping this thing together! Ugh!

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

I was actually told the dancing is not animated but instead they simply put Kelly's face on a dancer of similar stature and build. Kind of like how they did some of Count Dooku's fight scenes in AOTC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks