1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Gemini Man (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tino, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Ang Lee just doesn't seem to be the guy to make commercially successful traditional tentpole movies. His "Hulk" was a notorious disappointment, and now this.

His biggest hits - "Crouching Tiger" and "Life of Pi" - aren't the same kind of films.

He's obviously talented but it might not be a good idea to give him the reins of big Hollywood action movies...

benbess, TravisR and Tino like this.
  2. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I had never seen HFR and 3D in a theatrical setting. This film was getting drubbed for both its story and the use of HFR, so, being in a major center for another reason, I decided to go and see this out of curiosity.

Frankly, I think the film getting slaughtered review-wise was over done. Sure, I'm not going to claim the film is an action classic or a really compelling film but it also isn't the shitfest that a 25% fresh rating would suggest it is. It was an average action film. Not great, but certainly not terrible. I certainly thought it was better than John Wick 3. At least the stunts and action in Gemini Man maintained some feel of possibility while still being over the top. I sure couldn't say that about JW3.

Yeah, the HFR did make the visuals feel static while at the same time creating an unreal clarity but after a while I got used to it. I actually think the 3D in the film was helped by using HFR and I disagree that the 3D was mediocre.

Would I want to see every film in HFR? No, but I also wouldn't refuse to see a film that I wanted to watch if the director decided to use HFR in making it.

3. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    I was one of the few who liked this flawed movie, but....

4. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

"Reviewing" a film with a voice full of smarm gets tiresome pretty quickly. I quit watching it. If he thinks predictable and/or improbable story lines are what makes a bad film then he should probably stop watching movies altogether.

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I think those pitch meeting are great.
    Really funny.

The Joker one is perfect.

Anyway I just finished Gemini Man and was very happy with it.

Clearly not a classic but was still enjoyable enough to entertain me.

I’m a little surprised no one mentioned the clear “homage” to Terminator 2 when near the end they were fighting someone and he was on fire and they are shooting him.
    Even the music was T2-ish.

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    There is also an alternate beginning for the movie included.
    I can see why it wasn’t included but considering what was revealed in the previews maybe that doesn’t matter.

7. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I think they should've used the alt ending.

From my review:

"We all know eventually it'll be Will vs. Will, and we wait an extended period to get there. I'm all for good development and character exploration, but the pre-Junior scenes don't feel that way. At the very least, the film should've introduced Junior to Henry in a shadowy way as a teaser and not forced the audience to suffer through cheesy exposition for so long."

8. sleroi

sleroi Second Unit

Gavin Kopp
    I just streamed this last night in 4k.

I had the opposite reaction as Collin. I loved the set up and the first hour. I found Will Smith Charming and Winstead was great. Sure, it was a generic cat and mouse plot, but everyone played the part well. The cinematography was stunning. The picture was so bright. And colorful and detailed too. I was really sucked in. The scenes in Cartagena jumped off my screen. And I thought there were some great camera angles and close ups that would have seemed odd in a regular film but really showed off the enhanced resolution. Like the slow swish pan to Clive Owens first reveal. Its obvious he's a smarmy bad guy, but it works.

My problem with the film was that the clone was played with such inherent sadness that it bogged things down. And older Will Smith dropped his charm and became too contemplative. And Clive Owens attempt at convincing jr. that he's just a loving dad were too obvious and insincere.

The action scenes in the first half felt organic to the plot. In the second half they felt clunky. As if they were just there to break up the melancholy.

I appreciate that Lee was trying to bring a little depth and maybe elevate an escapist popcorn film, but IMHO he was a little heavy handed and forget to temper the seriousness with the wit and charm that Will Smith can bring to a film.

Tino likes this.