What's new

Gemini Man (2019) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I didn’t like the process in The Hobbit but did find that it worked better in Billy Lynn.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I mostly liked the 3D/HFR in the Hobbit. For some scenes it was stunning and gave me a chill down my spine.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
In my opinion, HFR static shots and shots with little or no movement inside the frame looked great but any real movement of the camera or anything in the shot just looked like a video game and took me out of the movie.

It's been so long since any movie has been released in HFR and I've seen so little filmmaker support for it that I had thought and hoped that it was dead. It was a surprise to me that Gemini Man is utilizing HFR as I thought James Cameron was the only person still trying to get it off the ground. If anyone can get HFR to look good, it's Cameron.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I did not know this is Ang Lee HFR. I'm going to avoid the HFR like plague. It's difficult to know if a movie is projected HFR here, so I'm going to avoid it. Do Dolby Cinemas project HFR?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They will almost certainly show the movie in a variety of formats, likely to include standard 2D, standard 3D, HFR 2D and HFR 3D. It will almost certainly be clearly announced what is playing where - as was the case with Billy Lynn and The Hobbit films.

It is unlikely that you will be tricked into seeing it in a format different from the one you wish.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
There is no 2D HFR version of Gemini Man. It will only screen in HFR in 3D, and will definitely be in reasonably wide release in that format.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There was for Billy Lynn. It seems likely that Gemini Man will have that as well - at the least, a 2D HFR release on UHD seems very likely.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
On second thought, Deleted.;)

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I might see this in HFR out of curiosity. I've seen HFR once before and thought that it was technically impressive, but not something that should be used for a dramatic film, especially fantasy or science fiction.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I didn’t love HFR for The Hobbit - at 48fps vs the usual 24, it looked very soap opera-ish to me, and the illusions of the hair, makeup, sets and special effects didn’t convince. I saw all three in that format once, giving it a fresh try every year.

Billy Lynn was at 120fps and that appeared much smoother to me than The Hobbit, but somehow less soap opera. But it had some drawbacks too. Whenever a shot would linger on, I’d find myself totally immersed in that world, feeling that whatever was onscreen was happening right in front of me. But that had the side effect of making every cut feel jarring and unnatural.

What I’d love to see is for someone to make an HFR 3D movie in the style of Hitchcock’s Rope. I think that kind of fluid look would really lend itself well to HFR.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ill go see this in HFR if its any where near me.

I workied at a theater that had The Hobbit HFR and saw it a good number of times and loved it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Ill go see this in HFR if its any where near me.

I workied at a theater that had The Hobbit HFR and saw it a good number of times and loved it.

IIRC, I only saw 1 of the "Hobbit" flicks HFR and I honestly don't recall what I thought of the process.

Will go out of my way for "GM" HFR - though not a lot out of my way! :D

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Advance ticket sales have started and my local theater has it booked in standard 2D and HFR 3D and that's it. No 2D HFR and no standard 3D. They're calling the HFR release "3D+." So far, it's only booked on one screen alternating showtimes between the versions, although they might add another screen as we get closer to the opening.

The reviews that have been linked on Rotten Tomatoes so far are mostly negative with a score of 20%. Of course, there are only ten reviews so far so the score will probably fluctuate as more critics file theirs, but this is not a promising start for a film like this.

I've seen several films by Ang Lee that I've liked very much and do consider myself a fan of him, but I also tend not to like Will Smith -- the only movies of his where I've liked him are Men in Black, and especially coming off Aladdin, which I really had high hopes for but ended up hating, I'm not really feeling in the mood to go see him again right now. If the reviews were terrific and declared this an absolute masterpiece, I probably would, but that's not where we're at right now. I think it's very likely that I will skip this.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Advance ticket sales have started and my local theater has it booked in standard 2D and HFR 3D and that's it. No 2D HFR and no standard 3D. They're calling the HFR release "3D+."

Ooh - didn't know advance sales were up!

Getting it 3D HFR - and 3D HFR laser IMAX at one of the other locations.

That's where I'm gonna be!

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
It isn't a matter of people believing what they want. Josh is 100% correct. In Looper they were exactly the same person with the same experiences (up to a divergent point). In this film it is clear that the younger clone has abilities, but none of the experiences that made the Will Smith character who he was because they never share a common timeline - they exist in the same time, but never followed the same experiences. Sorta like Picard and Shinzon in Star Trek: Nemesis - Picard isn't battling himself, he is battling a different version of himself, a clone, who shares DNA but they are very different people.

Be disinterested in Gemini Man and dismiss it if you want, but that doesn't change what the film is actually about (which the trailer quite clearly indicates).

Interestingly, the movies tag line is: "Who will save you from yourself"

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I can't seem to find any information about this. I know most HFR showings will be at 60fps, but does anyone know if any theaters anywhere will play it at 120fps?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A couple years ago, they didn’t have any projectors in general use that could support 3D in 4K at 120fps - while Billy Lynn played in that format, it was only at two or four theaters with equipment that Sony specifically loaned out for that engagement. I believe the Dolby and IMAX systems can do 60fps in 3D, or 120fps in 2D, but not both 3D and 120fps at the same time.

So the big question will be whether Sony will provide that equipment for any of the engagements or if they’ll just rely on whatever the venues already have.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I saw "The Desolation of Smaug" in HFR and hated it. It made everything look like a studio set and not a real location. Felt like watching a soup opera. That was the first and last HFR movie I have seen. Maybe it is something you just have to get use too but, I just did not enjoy the experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks