What's new

Gemini Man (2019) (2 Viewers)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It isn't a matter of people believing what they want. Josh is 100% correct. In Looper they were exactly the same person with the same experiences (up to a divergent point). In this film it is clear that the younger clone has abilities, but none of the experiences that made the Will Smith character who he was because they never share a common timeline - they exist in the same time, but never followed the same experiences. Sorta like Picard and Shinzon in Star Trek: Nemesis - Picard isn't battling himself, he is battling a different version of himself, a clone, who shares DNA but they are very different people.

Be disinterested in Gemini Man and dismiss it if you want, but that doesn't change what the film is actually about (which the trailer quite clearly indicates).

I guess the line "He's you" wasn't clear enough for you. Also, the trailer clearly indicates that the reason the guy was created in the first place is that he is the only one with the identical ability to kill his other self. In fact, they are so identical that the older one can anticipate what the younger one would do.

I said the concept of sending one self to kill the other is the same. I really don't care about the method of bringing the two into conflict . the concept at its most basic level is that an identical version of oneself, with the same abilities and thought processes is brought into conflict with the other.

I never said I was disinterested in it. You projected that on to me. I also said there is room for more than one film to explore the theme. However, I guess you missed that part.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
For what it may be worth, and I am not trying to enter into any argument here, Gemini does mean twins. But they can be fraternal instead of identical, no?;)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
And then I expanded on it. I can't help that you decided to ignore every thing else that I posted after that because you had to prove a point to me.
I think Edwin, I was just unconvinced by the rest of your posts.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Fine by me, Neil. Personally, I think you just ignored them to try to prove a point to me, but I'll respect your disagreement with my points.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
For what it may be worth, and I am not trying to enter into any argument here, Gemini does mean twins. But they can be fraternal instead of identical, no?;)
Ha :)

I think this film looks terrific, largely for the contemplative tone amidst the action of someone facing their younger selves...even though that other person isn't them (that dynamic is what most interests me and is where I wish Star Trek: Nemesis had been more dramatically rich. In Nemesis they explicitly said Shinzon was Picard, but did endeavor to explore all the ways he really wasn't).

Actually, this film has potentially far more in common with the final TNG Trek film than Looper. I don't get a Looper vibe from this film at all.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The basic concept is still the same. Your own self trying to kill your other self.
Even if the concept is the same, and I'm not agreeing it is, the way the dialogue, characters and action are developed wouldn't be the same. That's why ideas or concepts are not property. Only the particular manner of expression of an idea or concept in fixed form is protected by law. So it's the development of the idea or concept that matters, not necessarily the idea or concept.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Even if the concept is the same, and I'm not agreeing it is, the way the dialogue, characters and action are developed wouldn't be the same. That's why ideas or concepts are not property. Only the particular manner of expression of an idea or concept in fixed form is protected by law. So it's the development of the idea or concept that matters, not necessarily the idea or concept.

I have already stated that, although the concept is the same, there is room for more than one film to explore the theme.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Don’t think it’s been announced yet. If Billy Lynn is any indication, it won’t be at many theaters in that format.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Don’t think it’s been announced yet. If Billy Lynn is any indication, it won’t be at many theaters in that format.

I have the impression "GM" will get broader distribution in HFR. I did poke around to find where it'll play and although I didn't locate specifics, what I read left the impression it wasn't just gonna be like 4 screens!

Really seemed stupid to shoot "Billy" that way and only play it in a handful of theaters.

Given that "GM" has much, much more box office potential than "Billy" ever did, I think it'll play HFR in a lot more places...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Really seemed stupid to shoot "Billy" that way and only play it in a handful of theaters.

At the time Ang Lee started shooting that, Sony promised him that they’d have hundreds if not thousands of screens ready for the film’s HFR showings. But when the film was finished and didn’t do well in early test screenings, Sony withdrew most of their support. It wasn’t that only four theaters could play it; it was that Sony didn’t care to book the HFR and 3D versions more widely, anticipating that the film would already be DOA at the box office and that it wasn’t worth throwing good money after bad. So, a business decision and not a technological one.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
At the time Ang Lee started shooting that, Sony promised him that they’d have hundreds if not thousands of screens ready for the film’s HFR showings. But when the film was finished and didn’t do well in early test screenings, Sony withdrew most of their support. It wasn’t that only four theaters could play it; it was that Sony didn’t care to book the HFR and 3D versions more widely, anticipating that the film would already be DOA at the box office and that it wasn’t worth throwing good money after bad. So, a business decision and not a technological one.

That supports my belief that "GM" will get much broader release HFR. Seems like something they think will be a hit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks