What's new

Geforce TI 4200.....Computer freezing during games only!! Help!!! (1 Viewer)

Mark Giles

Second Unit
I just bought the following:
Abit AT7 Max2
Abit Geforce TI 4200
512 or PC3200 DDR
oh and an 2200+ AMD XP

Im cooling with a Koolance water cooler and cpu temps are around 37c - 40c(while playing games).

My locks up everytime Im in a 3d game. I was playing UT2003 on single player, and it locked up four times in a row. Sometimes right when I enter game play, other times when I'm a few minutes into the game. I have not attempted any overclocking yet.

My previous hardware setup showed no problems while playing these games.

I also played Virtual Pool 3 single player and it froze after about 4 minutes of play.

I ran 3dMark2001SE and it froze during the 8th or 9th test. I think it's the multi-texture 2nd swirl test(or something like that). I will run it again to see if it freezes at the same spot.

It only freezes while in playing a 3d game. It never freezes any other time.

I'm assuming it's the Geforce, but are there any settings I can change to troubleshoot this? Im gonna probably stick back in my other video card to make sure, but it's a pain in the butt to mess with the water cooler once it's attatched to the card.

Oh, and drivers? Ive used the newest drivers from the nvidia web site and also rolled back to the drivers included with the card.

Any suggestions anyone?

Dave Sabo

Stunt Coordinator
When you installed the Detonator drivers, did you first change the video to standard PCI SVGA graphics card, reboot, then install the Detonator drivers?

I'd also try reinstalling DirectX.

After those 2 things, I'd turn the video hardware acceleration off and see if that makes a difference. That will tell you if it's really an issue with the card.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
When you installed the Detonator drivers, did you first change the video to standard PCI SVGA graphics card, reboot, then install the Detonator drivers?
Actually, that's not how you install the Detonators anymore. It's all in a self-contained installer. I haven't had to do that song and dance for ages. :)
Sounds like the card is overheating, to me...

Mark Giles

Second Unit
OK, i found the problem. Apparently I wrote the original after I rolled back the drivers for the geforce but before I ran any additional tests or played any more games. I reinstalled the drivers included and it runs smooth. I also turned the radiator up higher on my case but after playing games for a while I lowered it back down and it's still running great so it was the drivers I downloaded.:emoji_thumbsup:
Thx for the info you two!

Dave Sabo

Stunt Coordinator
Correct sir... you don't have to... But when you're as anal as I am about that stuff... you still do :crazy: I don't trust installations to do it right, so I still recommend it.
Old habits die hard I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks