GeForce FX card reviews are out, prepare to be surprised..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott L, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

2. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

If that's really what the retail versions sound like, I pray for anyone who bought it.

I'm interested in seeing how much of a gap the RV350 will put on the FX when it comes out two months from now.

3. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

As a big Nvidia fan, and hater of ATI, this news disappoints me greatly. [​IMG]

Guess I'll wait until Doom III makes it's appearance, and then worry about what card to upgrade to.

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

oh I imagine that Nvidia will pull there usual driver stunt, release a couple sets of drivers that boost performance by 20%. But I do wonder if it will be enough to match ATI's new card (assuming ATI doesn't do another paper release).

5. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Well... suprising news to say the least.

Hopefully this will still lower the price on the ATI chips a bit....I'd love to see an All-In-Wonder 9700 for $400 or less. [​IMG]

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

7. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Scott:

Those are both Radeons, not All-In-Wonders. There's quite a bit of difference. [​IMG]

8. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I think it's nice that Nvidia finally has some competition again. With the better support and drivers that ATI has recently offered, Nvidia has to keep an eye out if they want to remain competetive.

Competition = lower prices and higher performance [​IMG]

9. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

LOL!!

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Brian, doh! Read over your post too fast, sorry bout that.

Love the hairdryer pic btw. [​IMG]

12. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

LOL! why? They are both looking like great cards for the high end Gamer. We will have to see how ATI does on their next released card. I am with Jasen all the way more competition means better pricing for you and I. Hopefully ATI can influence Video card pricing like AMD did to processors. Intel had to become competitive price wise and hopefully these 2 giants will fight over price on video cards.

If NVIDIA can bring cards out on the market that are at the same price point wholesale (Since I know you guys don't buy retail) then I would certainly go for the 5800 Ultra. The Fan noise is pretty negligible since your HD and Power supply noise will still be high and again the tests were taken with the video card out of the case. and I don't know anyone who runs/plays games with their head against the video cards like the recorder was. That was certainly one part of this review I didnt like they show real world use of the cards in games but then not on sound. If they want to show what the card sounds like they should have put it in the case, put the side on the case, and then record it from the gamers seating position.

If it is beating the Radeon 9700 Pro and is the same price point then why not? But if they come out and stay more expensive then the 9700 Pro then it isn't worth it IMHO.

KyleS

13. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

KyleS,

My Vantec Tornado on my CPU and my Antec PSU with two fans in it, plus the four 80mm Panaflo fans I have don't get anywere near as loud as the FX. I used to be pretty anti ATi, but I took a chance after a buddy talked me into to atleast trying the 9500 Pro 128. Well I can honestly say I haven't been this happy with a card since my TNT2 that let me play Quake 3 at 32bit color. My recent graphics card history has been:

Voodoo Rush
    Riva 128 + Voodoo2
    TNT
    TNT2
    G400 Max
    ATi Radeon 64mb

14. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I wouldn't count the FX out just yet. Wait until DX9 software shows up or at least 3dMark 2003.

Right now both the FX and the 9700 can handle any game or software app thrown at them, so who cares. It is the next gen games and software that will really seperate the cards...if at all.

15. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

16. Andrew Walbert

Andrew Walbert Stunt Coordinator

I'm not impressed with the FX's performance. In fact, I'm of the distinct impression that there is a bug in the drivers causing performance to suffer. It's actually little better than what an equally-clocked GeForce 3 part would have done. Remember, it runs at 500MHz, an unheard-of speed for a GPU, and the memory is running at 1GHz (DDR). No reason for it to be so lackluster a performer. Yeah, the drivers will give it a solid advantage over the 9700. But by then, the new ATI part will be out. nVidia screwed up by letting the FX slip so far back in the schedule. I only hope they are smart enough to accept the embarrassment of releasing a newer, faster part by mid-summer, or ATI could run away with the show. This is the same thing to happen to 3dfx, afterall. The Voodoo3 got delayed, and the TNT2 came out, with better performance, and by the time the V3 hit the stores, the GeForce was out and the game was over for 3dfx. Both nVidia and ATI are way too big and too financially sound to collapse so easily as 3dfx did (buying STB was a foolish move by them). But if their next part does not regain the crown, nVidia is going to be in a tight squeeze. ATI has OEM contracts out the wazzoo, but nVidia is not quite as secure. The X-Box will only prop up their sales for so long.

Having listened to the FX, I'm going to say that my system produces more noise anyway. Having five 80mm fans, a large CPU fan, a GPU fan, and a 10K RPM U160 SCSI HDD, my system is quite noisy. But thanks to all the fans and their positioning, the temperature is scarcely above ambient levels. I'll trade a bit of noise (which, honestly, doesn't matter if I'm listening to music anyway) for rock solid stability and speed.

17. Scott L

Scott L Producer

18. James_A

James_A Stunt Coordinator

Damn... that's a loud card!

Didn't NVidia get screwed by Microsoft on the XBox's chipset? I think it was when MS changed the security settings to make it hack proof again... Anyway, I've seen 9700 AIW's on Pricewatch for under $400... so you might wnat to take a look there...

Jim

19. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

The Carmack has spoken out about the FX, basically he calls it a disappointment and even he says that the card is just way too loud.

In the end he says that they are both equal buys for the consumer, except once cost $150 less then the other.

read more here

20. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit