GeFORCE FX 5800 Ultra Hands On Impressions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelley_B, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

My roommate got his GeFORCE FX 5800 Ultra in yesterday, so of coarse we spent all night playing with it. First thing to mention is that the drivers are buggy as hell. He had to change his screen resolution because the FX kept on crashing his system at his current res(can't recall what it was). The card is a monster of copper and plastic. I'm sure everyone is wondering about the noise, it is nowhere near as loud as the review copies were. Kudos to nVidia for finding a quieter fan! The only time I really hear it is on boot up and when a 3D application first launches.

We played several games last night and it ran all of them fine, including the Doom III Alpha.

The Dawn nVidia tech demo has to be seen in wireframe mode to be believed! She is easily pushing 1Million Polys. The Toys demo is pretty cool also.

For today's games though the card is just too much. The card is innovative thats for sure, and one of the reasons why he got it is because we need the CineFX engine for a project we are working on.

If it wasn't for the fact that we are using the CineFX, he said he would have just bought an ATi Radeon 9700 Pro and saved himself $100. Any question I'll be happy to answer them.

2. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Don't forget the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro! [​IMG]

3. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

4. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

what is cinefx?

5. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

who manufactured the card your roomie got? because the base sample is as loud as a lot of the reviews claim and for that I'm sure most of the manufacturers looked for alternatives.

no such thing as too much. . . I want my "as good as real" games now!

cineFX is Nvidia's special programming code for doing cinematic effects. I'll just link to Nvidia's thing on it since it'll do more justice to the whole concept.

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=feature_cinefx

6. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

CineFX is basically Pixel Shader 3.0 technology, but nVidia calls it CineFX.

He owns the BFG Tech 5800 Ultra.