GeForce FX 5800 and a AMD 1.2?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Blu, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I am thinking of upgrading my vid card which is a Geforce 3 first generation to the new FX 5800. I am needing to know if the processor (1.2 gig AMD not Duron) is enough of a processor to accomplish this or if I need a faster one.

2. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

The processor doesn't matter; however, you might be well served in upgrading it anyway. The cache on the duron is something of a limiting factor, plus the clock is a little low by today's standards, though not too bad.

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

The processor doesn't matter in terms of compatibility but it does play a big factor in making sure you get the most of your high-end video card.

The 5800 ought to team up nicely with your CPU but to really see the awesome frame rates you really need something more up-to-date. I'm probably splitting hairs but with that CPU I'd suggest saving some bucks and get something in the GF4 family.

I have an Athlon T-bird (1.4) and won't upgrade my GF3 until I get a new CPU. I have yet to run into a game I can't play at high resolutions with almost all the effects turned up. I have a feeling Doom III will kick my ass, however.

4. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Well Star Wars Galaxies was just murder on that setup. I did save some bucks and got a 5200 Ultra. I plan on a total system rebuild in the future so I'll be looking for a motherboard/processor combo soon!