What's new

GeForce FX 5800 and a AMD 1.2? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
I am thinking of upgrading my vid card which is a Geforce 3 first generation to the new FX 5800. I am needing to know if the processor (1.2 gig AMD not Duron) is enough of a processor to accomplish this or if I need a faster one.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
The processor doesn't matter; however, you might be well served in upgrading it anyway. The cache on the duron is something of a limiting factor, plus the clock is a little low by today's standards, though not too bad.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
The processor doesn't matter in terms of compatibility but it does play a big factor in making sure you get the most of your high-end video card.

The 5800 ought to team up nicely with your CPU but to really see the awesome frame rates you really need something more up-to-date. I'm probably splitting hairs but with that CPU I'd suggest saving some bucks and get something in the GF4 family.

I have an Athlon T-bird (1.4) and won't upgrade my GF3 until I get a new CPU. I have yet to run into a game I can't play at high resolutions with almost all the effects turned up. I have a feeling Doom III will kick my ass, however.

Blu

Screenwriter
Well Star Wars Galaxies was just murder on that setup. I did save some bucks and got a 5200 Ultra. I plan on a total system rebuild in the future so I'll be looking for a motherboard/processor combo soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks