Geeze, I've had some bad luck lately.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brian Harnish, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Well, here's the deal. I'm seriously in the market for a new car (I don't want to say anything here except let's just say that the tides have turned seriously in favor of me at work *wink*). I know you guys are probably sick of me saying so, but I've finally reached the long arduous journey of finally deciding on a car and I'm pulling the trigger at the end of this month. I decided against the DeLorean as I'm back in college and I want to get a nice new car to impress. [​IMG]

I'm FINALLY buying at the end of this month. I am SO EXCITED that financially, I'll be able to do both shortly: move back out (I just now moved home temporarily to save up for a down payment on a house in case I need one) and get a new car. Keep in mind I'll be able to do both and still have some financial cushioning. But, I digress...

I've had such horrible luck with two car dealers. One was Power Ford in Huntington Beach. The other was with Honda World of Westminster tonight. Anyway, let me elaborate. Keep in mind that in EACH of these instances, I have acted nice and courteous to everyone involved, and never once have I acted belligerent except *after* being faced (and provoked) with a rude salesman at Honda. Keep in mind that I never test drive cars unless I'm seriously buying within the next six months or sooner. So, I'm not a natural test drive junkie.

I'll explain in the next paragraphs.

Ford:

I went into Power Ford of Huntington Beach (I've never been there before) to take a test drive on a Ford Mustang GT. I have narrowed down my car to a Ford Mustang GT and a Honda Accord EX V6 w/leather. I go in for a test drive and the salesperson tells me that test drives are not allowed unless I sign a contract binding me to a purchase. This pissed me off and I walked off the lot. After I cooled down, I went back in and talked to the General Manager. He explained that even if he had GTs in stock he wouldn't let me test drive one because customers like them to be at zero when they buy them. This was a load of horsecrap but I still kept my cool. I ended up filing a complaint with Ford but never heard back from them. Go figure.

Anyway, with Honda World of Westminster tonight:

Let me explain first. I've driven four times previously. They give a five minute route for a test drive. That is *not* a proper enough amount of time to test drive a car. I also want to see how a car handles and drives in different weather conditions, as I am planning on keeping this car for at least ten years.

With my horrible experience with Ford, I narrowed my choice down to a Honda Accord EX V6 coupe w/leather in Graphite Pearl. I asked a salesman if I could have a test drive and while he and I get into the car he says he needs to go get keys and he'll be right back. I waited for about 20 minutes and finally got fed up (but still not upset and don't show it). I asked another salesman (nicely) where the other guy went as he was supposed to be back with keys. Apparently he had "gone home." I was pissed inside but didn't show it. I nicely ask the salesman for a test drive. They leave.

After about ten minutes of waiting, a rude guy comes out. I ask him very nicely for a test drive. He asks me if I'm buying. I explain that I am buying at the end of this month and wanted a final test drive to make my decision. His immediate response: No test drives. He IMMEDIATELY GOT IN MY FACE AND OPENED AND CLOSED HIS RIGHT HAND RAPIDLY (ABOUT HALF AN INCH FROM MY FACE) and repeatedly says "Go!" and "Bye." This REALLY pissed me off and I threatened to call my lawyer and go to the FTC on this. He keeps rudely pointing in the direction off the lot. I walked off.

After I cooled down, I go in and spoke to a receptionist and asked to speak to the General Manager. The GM was gone and so I asked to speak to the sales manager because of the rude treatment from the salesman (which was NOT warranted). I explain I was still a little pissed with my incredibly RUDE treatment from the sales guy and why. She was understanding. Anyway, another sales "man" comes out (I didn't recognize him and have never seen him before) and takes me outside. He explains why they won't take me for a test drive. He says I've been there ten times before (that's bullshit, I've only taken four test drives -- three in an Accord and one in a Civic to compare).

Their route is completely inadequate to make a final decision (and doesn't even include freeways). Anyway, he also says they have the right to refuse service to anyone. Of course, I couldn't refuse that so I left politely (but still incredibly angry).

I couldn't be more pissed off at a car dealer right now. If you're in the market for Honda or Ford, DO NOT go to Honda World Westminster or Power Ford of Huntington Beach. I will be going to a different Honda dealer.

2. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

Man, that brings back memories of when I bought my Nissan Altima a few years back. I knew that I wanted an Altima because I had recently rented one on vacation, but there were a few options that I had questions about and wanted to educate myself. But I was definitely ready to buy.

First Nissan dealership that I went to

It was a Saturday and for some reason they only had a couple of sales people there and they were all busy. I waited around for 20 minutes looking around for literature, etc., but couldn't find any. Finally the finance person came out to talk to me, but she didn't know much about the cars so she just handed me some keys and let me go test drive one. When I got back, a salesperson was available, but he didn't have any information on the Altima except for a single piece of paper, which he was going to xerox for me, but it turns out their copier was broken. So I left empty handed.

Second Nissan dealership that I went to

I went on a Monday afternoon so I was sure that they wouldn't be too busy. I stood in the middle of the showroom for about 15 minutes, waiting patiently and looking around expectantly. I found some literature and read it. All around me the staff were moving around like they all had very important things to do, but as far as I could tell, I was the only customer in the place. After about 15 minutes I finally left.

The third place I went to (about an hour drive from my home) I asked if they had a car, they did, so I bought it after a 10 minute test drive. I was just so grateful to finally talk to a salesperson that it was ridiculous. I was not surpised to see both of the other dealerships go out of business shortly after my experience.

3. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Brian, how old are you?

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but this is the same type of treatment I get a lot of places and I'm convinced it's because of my age (I'm 24 but look 17). I've had salespeople refuse to help me when shopping for a car, for a diamond ring, and several other high-end purchases. Most think I'm just a kid in a candy shop and don't bother giving me the time of day. I've been both ignored and flat-out told to leave in several instances. It's amazing how different my experience is when my husband comes along (he looks like he's in his 30's).

Now, like I said, I don't want to assume this is your problem. But for some reason, both of these dealerships decided they didn't want your business. My suggestion is to just keep trying different places. . .eventually you'll find a salesperson who is more concerned with making a sale instead of casting judgements.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Have you considered going to used car lots just to get some "drive time" in on the models you are interested in?

5. Brian Harnish

Patrick- Yes. However, I have had bad experiences with Used Car lots too. For example, I went into the Used Car dealership (Honda) looking for the model I'm looking at (same model as well as an Acura RSX) about 10 months ago. I explained that I wanted to look and wasn't interested in talking to a salesman yet. However, in spite of telling the salesman that, I kept being HARRASSED by that salesman so much (he kept referring me to different car models in an incredibly rude manner) that I just walked off the lot. At that point, I had been treated far better by the new car dealership (the Honda one I had the terrible experience with tonight) across the street. I vowed never to get a used car from a used car dealership after that experience.

Please understand, I know not *all* used car dealerships are like that, but that experience really turned me off of used car dealerships for quite awhile.

Leila- That might also be true. I went in wearing jeans and a plain-colored t-shirt. I'm in sales, and I always do my best not to pass judgment on a customer and I'm more concerned with making a sale myself. I guess I'd better go through the internet manager instead when I buy at the end of this month. That'll teach them not to mess with a customer that wants to spend their money there.

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

When you go to finally buy your car you should get a cashier's check for the exact amount of the car (assuming you're paying in full) and drive by this dealership first. Show the check to the salesguy and give them the old F-U and leave.

7. Brian Harnish

Seth- What I'm going to do is get outside financing, get a cashier's check for said financing, and show it to them, *THEN" give them a big F-U and leave. How's that? [​IMG]

Or, even better -- how about I ask for a test drive, say I'm buying today, and then give them the old F-U? [​IMG]

8. Peter Burtch

Peter Burtch Stunt Coordinator

Hi Brian-

If you lived in my area it would be no hassle. My local Honda dealer treats me very well [​IMG]. They love referrals and make it incredibly easy to buy any Accord for dealer invoice price when you speak with the internet sales manager. The person who suggested a young buyer would benefit from having the cash/check in hand is right on the money IMO. You might even consider asking if they can match your outside financing/interest rate to get a better price on the car. That's what I did on my Accord. If you don't already know, the dealership gets a 'spiff' from the bank on every loan they close.

Frankly I'm surprised you are choosing between two cars with such different personalities. The V6 Accord is going to be a totally different animal than the Mustang (although I haven't driven a GT). All 240hp aside, it's likely going to provide a lot less juice off the line and be less crisp around corners. To be honest I didn't see the huge difference in performance around corners between the EX & V6 when I drove them both. Obviously the V6 had more power and gadgets [​IMG].

cheers,
    Pedro

9. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    We had a fun time when we were shopping for our car. My wife drives, I do not, but I was along for the decision anyways.

Every salesperson immediately went after me. When I'd tell them that my wife would be making the decision, they still kept coming to me with stuff -- emphasizing manly aspects of each car and so on. I felt like I was on a hidden camera show. I'd flat out tell them that I don't drive, and still they'd be after me, probably because they were trying to sell sizzle and my wife kept asking questions about the quality of the meat.

Eventually we ended up at a VW dealer where the salesperson was very nice and spoke to my wife at length about all of her questions. Didn't hurt that he drove exactly the car that we were interested in, so he had plenty of firsthand experience with it.

We bought from him.

10. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Well, I wouldn't be buying a car from either of those lots, that's for sure.

11. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Brian,
    The Mustang GT is that way right now. They are incredibly hard to find and you get no test drives. This is not just California. They are HOT HOT HOT right now and someplaces are even charging 3-5k more than sticker for them.

The Honda Dealership treatment was awful. There is no excuse for that. Then again we have to trust your side of the story and I will.

As I said though, the Ford dealerships attitude is not uncomman given this car right now(if you are talking about the new body style).

12. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

That sounds excessive to me. Coming in for test drive #5 has to wear thin on the sales guys. I am not condoning thier behavior, but I can see why they might be less than enthusiastic at having you take yet another test drive.

Jeff

13. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I would go directly to Honda and report that dealership. There's absolutely no reason for you to have been treated so rudely.

14. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

The internet guys here locally on the new Mustang Gt aren't offering any deals for it. They sell as is or for more.

If you waited another 9 months or so, you might be in better shape if you decide the Mustang GT is what you want. Then again the insurance will be MUCH HIGHER and its RWD which isn't too much of an issue in California.

15. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I agree with Jeff. I think 4 test drives is a little excessive. I would be thinking here he comes again. Plus "I will be buying in a month" doesn't sound very good either. I wonder how many times they hear that?
    Do the sales people go with or do they just give you the key? The two times I have test drove a car I always ask to take it on the freeway. They're usually not too far, and always oblige.
    Don't get me wrong I have never had a good car buying experience, but I am in retail and when you see the same people come in and never put out, it does wear thin.
    I know it is alot of money and you said you plan on keeping it for a while, so I understand you want to be sure, that's fine, but your not gonna be tied to this one car for the rest of your life. Things always change.
    Also, I am curious as well about the way different car choices.
    I think you'd be happier with the Honda personally. Maybe go the middle route and get a Maxima.
    Good luck.

16. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I missed the four test drives part. Yeah, I would definitely think you were a deadbeat too if you came in for a fifth drive. I mean, come on they are trying to sell cars not provide a rental service to non-buyers.

I suggest you go to a new Honda dealership and request one long test drive. Tell them 10 mins is too short and if you like the test drive you will negotitate buying the car same day. They'll give you a nice long test driver I'm sure. If you're not ready to buy yet, don't go back to the dealer until you are [​IMG]

You do know you can usually return a car within 3 days for any reason right? So if you are 90% sure, just buy it and take it out for whatever tests you see fit for 2 days.

17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Alas, that's a myth, according to Consumer Action Website (quoting)

Be aware that there are situations in which the Cooling-Off Rule does not apply:
    * The sale was the result of prior contact you had at the seller’s permanent business location.
    * You were buying real estate, insurance, securities, or a motor vehicle.

(emphasis added)

Also, five test drives at a single dealer sounds unusual (and excessive). You get multiple test drives by going to multiple dealers. I would have thought OC has zillions of car dealers vying for your business. Here in little Rochester, there are four Honda dealerships within 30 minutes.

That said, I'd never buy from a rude or hostile dealer.

P.S. I've got a Pearl Blue '04 Honda Accord EX (V6). It's great! If you're planning on long-term ownership, there's no comparison between this and a Ford Mustang.

18. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

well, i agree that four test drives is too much. think of it from their pov. they work on commission. if you did, and the same guy came to your four times, then i think you'd blow a gasket too.

i don't know if you were clear or not, but in something like this situation, you need to be *extremely* clear that you are not buying today, waiting till end of month, wanted a long, intense test drive, etc.

this is why i will never work commission sales again -- it's just too much hassle for the salespeople.

-----

that being said, they were total assholes to you. when you finally buy your car, be sure you drive it by and tell them they blew the sale. hell, i would make that a priority. yes, it's vindictive and petty -- but they need to realize what a mistake they made.

----

btw, dave is totally right about the cooling off thing. if you buy a car, it's yours...no returns. go into any auto dealership and you'll probably see those "no cooling off period" signs all over the place. actually i think i even signed some document when i bought my honda about that.

19. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

I'm gonna have to agree with the last few posters.. I may have asked you to leave also if you were there for your fifth test drive and fourth in the same car.

20. Brian Harnish

Okay, okay...let me elaborate on my test drives (which were not FIVE as others seem to believe):

Drives 1-2. Accord EX V6 Coupe (once in January and one in July)

Drive 3. Accord EX V6 Sedan the last time I had my Civic in for service (they didn't have any coupes on the lot at the time and I should have refused this one as I DO NOT want a sedan). There is no way to tell how the car you want will perform when you want a coupe and they give you a test drive in a Sedan. That's not an apples to apples comparison.

Drive 4. Drove a Honda Civic to Compare.

I'm going to be keeping this car for at least ten years and I want to be darn sure that I like it. These test drives are *not* excessive.

I work in commissioned sales myself and if I were to EVER treat a customer like I was treated, do you know what would happen? I'd get fired. There is NO REASON to treat customers like that -- ESPECIALLY when they're buying (as I am). You treat every customer with the utmost respect and service -- and they *will* buy from you. I have never been rude to the salesmen, and I've always been nice, as I always treat others the way I'd like to be treated. There is no excuse for them treating me like they did.

Anyway, needless to say I'm taking my money to another dealer and I'll show up in my new car and show them the sale they missed.