What's new

Geez..How many studios produced this movie??? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I just picked up the remake of "Yours, Mine and Ours" on dvd. And looking at the credits reminded me when I saw the movie in the theater. Just how studios did this movie need to be released??? I have heard of movies that were very expensive getting a second studio involved. But, this was ridiculous.

Paramount
MGM
Columbia
Nickelodeon
Sony

And if you look on www.imdb.com you can see how each studio gets a different country to have distribution rights.

:confused:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
That's just branding; Viacom owns both Paramount and Nickelodeon and Sony owns Columbia and MGM.

Still, that's nothing. Watch a European film sometime; the film will be producedby, presented by, in association with, and with the assistance of roughly a dozen companies or government agencies. I've seen a couple where I'm just astounded that they ALL signed off on something really just astonishingly abhorrant. Other times, I'll think that instead of these companies financing 8% of a dozen films, maybe they should each fully finance one, although this is probably better in terms of risk.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I wonder if those European films are simply paying into a joint venture fund, which is then administered by those running the fund, so that in reality the producers don't really answer to suits from a dozen studios, just the execs running the joint venture fund? But obviously from the credits point of view, all the JV partners would be credited individually.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i always wondered what this was about. i dont know how you guys can remember what movie is owned by which studio, especially with the joint ventures. it seems like many films i watch, there are at least 2 or 3 different "studios" involved, if that's the correct word to use.

CJ

Joel C

Screenwriter
Yeah, Dear Wendy, from Danish director Thomas Vinterberg, is plastered with logos for 14 different production companies.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Watched it last night and thought it was a tad over the top. 'Okay, here we go...wait, another studio logo...and another...again...AND STILL MORE?!'

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood

Don't forge the titles talking about mooses and the loveli lakes...

Seriously though I noticed that on Yours, Mine and Ours. Thought it was funny that it took 5 studios to get the film made. I think I remember Titanic being the first film I remember stating it was made by several film companies. Funny and yet annoying, they might as well make a short movie just for the company logos...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Actually I think it started with the Fox/Warner coproduction "The Towering Inferno," in 1974.

How long before we see a movie co-produced by EVERY major studio in Hollywood? :D

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
I remember watching the opening credits to Master and Commander wondering why FOX, Universal and then Miramax decided they all had to come together for this one movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks