gee, i can't get used to gmail

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Micah Cohen, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

I have been using yahoo email since forever, but have recently begun experiencing scary problems. So, my question here is two-fold:

(1) Is gmail better, and why? I can't get used to the lack of subject line, the staggering of the emails connected with each other like a forum chat, and assorted other stuff. Can I make gmail behave more like yahoo mail?

(2) In yahoo mail [any experts out there?], how can I archive my emails and save them OFF LINE, say on a CD-ROM, to protect them from yahoo email failures and tech issues such as the one that most recently happened and frightened me so?

Yeh or nay to gmail?

MC

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Gmail is absolutely brilliant, give the new interface 1-2 weeks and you'll wonder how you ever used Yahoo mail.

But when you compose an e-mail there most certainly is a Subject Line. Are you using a recent web browser (e.g. IE 5.5 or newer, Firefox 1.5.0)?

3. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

What's the issue with Yahoo? I have 1000s of old messages, some of which are years old, & have had no problems with it.

I don't like gmail either, or the fact that they go thru your mail.

4. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

What? They "go thru your mail"?! That's unacceptable.

The issue with yahoo is just that sometimes I have had tech problems. Last week, I suddenly couldn't "send" or "reply," in effect crashing my email system, making my email useless. I also have THOUSANDS of archived yahoo emails, and this panicked me badly. How do you SAVE THESE ARCHIVES? I need to save them offline, but I don't know how. I mean, without laboriously cutting-and-pasting them each into a text file...

I just couldn't get a handle on the gmail interface, I guess.

MC

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Micah, I recall someone asking about downloading messages from Yahoo email, but I don't believe you can.

IIRC, if you pay for their 'pro' service, you have that option, but that's probably not what you want to hear. [​IMG]

EDIT: That is what it looks like:
    http://mailplus.mail.yahoo.com/help

You get "archiving" access with Yahoo Plus.

6. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

It was prolly me, asking about downloading from yahoo.

And in the panic when the accounts locked up two days ago, I signed up to PAY for the yahoo PLUS service just to see if I could get better customer service. I couldn't. (Altho they did finally give me a toll call phone number to contact them, which I plan to do later.) Now, I have to cancel that paid email subscription, because it didn't help me at all, without losing that account. What a botch I made of it.

You get what you pay for, eh?

MC

What is "POP forwarding," and how does it help me if my "Outlook" (or, "Outlook Express") is just on my computer and not connected to a server or anything?

MC

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    POP forwarding is like sending your Yahoo email to a email server that supports the POP protocal, basically it's a email forwarding service.

Your Outlook or Outlook express is simply an email client that connects to your email server (aka the POP server or IMAP/Exchange server). So if you have an email account with your ISP, you can have Yahoo forward email to it.

Jay

8. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Yes, Jay, I completely understand.

(WHAT?!)

Ok, so, if I have, say, my verizon email enabled (because I have verizon DSL), that would use the Outlook that's built into my MS Office on my computer. I could then have yahoo forward emails to my verizon/Outlook account and use that account to somehow archive the emails in a text file type situation?

Please speak "layman" when you reply. Thanks! [​IMG]

MC

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    [​IMG]

Ummm, yeah, once your email is at Verizon, then you can simply use Outlook to archive it on your computer's hard drive and you can consider it saved. But, as you mentioned already, if you get Yahoo Plus service, you already have the option to archive/download the Yahoo messages so having the POP forward option would seem to be moot at that point.

Jay

10. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

Isn't there archiving on gmail? Could you forward your yahoo mail to gmail and archive it from gmail?

11. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Wow. I'm so not confused.

"But, as you mentioned already, if you get Yahoo Plus service, you already have the option to archive/download the Yahoo messages..." I do? So, I could, without invoking my as-yet-unused Outlook, merely download and save the emails in my yahoo PLUS account?

I will check this out.

MC

12. MarkHastings

Definitely look into archiving. From the link I posted, you can download the messages as ZIP files and import them into Outlook...

13. MichaelBA

Micah, don't you already have Yahoo Plus?

14. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

I have no clue.

I'd have to forward the yahoo email, piece by piece, to a POP3 account. What is that? I don't know!

Is that POP3 just my "[email protected]" thing? And does that come to my Outlook, or to verizon's web-based email log-in?

I feel like this is something easy that I just don't understand.

Am I too old for email?

MC

15. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I have a gmail account but I don't use it that often. I just checked it out... Gmail does allow you to forward email and it also allows you to use an email client (like outlook, thunderbird, Eudora) to access the Gmail server so you don't have to use their web interface. I just checked it out. There is an option to "archive" email, but it doesn't look like it's "archive to local hard drive" kind of option, it looks like it just puts it into a hidden folder and moves it out of your inbox.

I haven't looked further if there is a way to download them though..

Micah, I believe Outlook can automatically be set to archive email over a certain date, at which it puts a folder/archive into your hard drive automatically. So if you have Yahoo Plus and configure Pop forwarding to your Verizon account, use Outlook to access that, you can automatically archive received email....

Jay

16. MichaelBA

Jay, thanks for helping to explain this!

17. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Ach. None of this makes sense to me. My Outlook is not hooked up to anything, you know? It just exists on my computer.

I will call yahoo tech help in a couple hours and ask all these questions. It will be the first time I have contact with a live human at yahoo!

MC

18. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

In layman's term.. yes. "mcohen" is your username and you have a password associated with it. When you open Outlook, (the client), it will log into your POP3 server at Verizon to download any new email. Verizon's web-based email must also interface...aka connect to the POP3 server so you can get email via the web interface OR Outlook.

Gmail supports getting it's email through Outlook via it's free service. Yahoo doesn't. Gmail offers "POP forwarding" free, Yahoo doesn't. I can't say whether Gmail allows you to download/archive email to your local hard drive cause I don't know Gmail well enough.. but you've mentioned Yahoo does with their pay service.

Jay

19. MarkHastings

How do I archive messages?

To archive your messages, click "Options" in the upper-right corner of your Yahoo! Mail Plus page. Under "Management," click "Archive Messages."
    1. Choose which folder you want to archive using the "Folder" pull-down menu.
    2. Choose a date constraint using the "Date" pull-down menu.
    3. Click "Continue" to see an estimate of your archive size and download time.
    4. Click "Download Archive" to download the ZIP file to your computer or click "Save to Yahoo! Briefcase" to save online.
    5. Unzip your messages using a compression utility such as WinZip.

Also, check out the in-depth tutorials:
    http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/tutorials/cg/