What's new

GEARHEADS and Car Buffs... Nissan Skyline Questions? (1 Viewer)

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Ok, I don't consider myself so much of a car buff as I do a fanatic/enthusiast. Skylines are just so insanely rare in the states, it's hard to come across people who know much about them. I know I can't possibly be the only one who thinks that they are such awesome cars!!! I know that you can import them through MotoRex, but how much would they cost? Do they have to convert them for the driving wheel at all? Also, does anyone have a general idea of specs for it? I am after all thinking of getting one... after I... rob a bank... or something, I dunno? :rolleyes: Heh-heh...

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I dunno, but here is one of their prices on a USED Skyline

1992 R32 GT-R Black 38,000 miles $36800.00

That's a little steep for a 9 year old 'sports' car. You can get a 1 year old off-lease Corvette for that much, or less. I'm sure you can find a nice Supra Turbo for much less if you want a more 'high-tech' Japanese car.

Or maybe a nice 3000GT? That Spyder version was awesome.

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine was looking into getting an R34 last year.

They wanted (deep breath) $90k for a new one. They don't convert it to right-hand drive, but there are some emissions-type things they do, and no doubt some other stuff.

$90k is heading for Porsche Turbo territory. IMHO it's nuts to pay that for a $40k (if that) Japanese car. They are pretty rare though...

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I think I'd take a new NSX for the same price. Or, perhaps a Lingenfelter-modified Z06 Corvette, and keep the remaining $30K. HELLO!

Todd

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Yes, 80-90K is right for an R34 (the latest and greatest) from MotoRex. They ARE right hand drive, and MotoRex does NOT convert them to LHD.

They are rated at 276 HP stock, but that means almost nothing. In Japan, there is an un-written rule that nobody will manufacture a car with more than 280 HP. So, most performance cars are said to have 276, when they really have more. The Subaru WRX STi and Mitsu Lancer Evo VII are examples which are closer to 300-315 HP.

The reason Skylines are so hot, more so than any Supra, 3000GT, or Vette is because of their all-wheel drive system and hop-up ability. The twin-turbo straight six is known for being bullet proof in high horsepower applications. Very easy to mod. The AWD system is very advanced, making traction not a concern.

Jared

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
I forgot to mention:

Nissan is planning to bring the Skyline to the US in a year or two (2004 model?). Might be under the Infifnity badge. The R35? next gen Skyline is also in the works. I've seen the concept car, and it looks good. Might be powered by the same twin-turbo six, or a V8.

Jared

Chris Derby

Second Unit
I think I'd take a new NSX for the same price.
The NSX is a toy compared to a Skyline. The Skyline would spank it in every way. Plus, it would get many more stares and thumbs up from people who have half a clue. In other circles, it would be the sleeper of which they would always be seeing the tail-lights.
RH drive isn't a big deal. When I used to race in TX, we had a guy (a Z freak) that a (RHD) 240 era Fairlady Z. It just takes getting used to. The shift pattern is the same (not mirror image) and you have to adjust to shifting w/ your left hand.
On a side note, on the way up to the mountaint to go snowboarding on sunday, I saw wahtmust have been a 240SX in full Sylvia garb. It must have been a 240. If it wasn't, much props to the guy that brought it over. It went by me so fast, I didn't get a chance to see if it was LHD or RHD.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Yea, Nissan is planning on bringing the Skyline to the US. it will first be shelled as an Infinity G35, with Nissan putting out actual Skyline models later.
Here is a quote I got from Autonews.com about Mitsubishi releasing the Lancer Evo in the US next year. But they deleted the article and replaced it with something else. :frowning: Good thing I copied this part down:
Competition is good for the breed. Subaru is expected to counter the Evo VII with its more potent WRX STi. Other powerful transplants are in the works, as Infiniti will soon market the Nissan Skyline sedan as the G35, and Nissan is considering bringing the full-bore Skyline GT-R coupe over to position above the 350Z.
Whew! Which one to get????

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
i read in a sport compact car mag like last year, they had a really suped up skyline in it with like 1100 bhp!!!!!! i used to see them all the time when i lived in japan

btw the highway over there drives nissan z's

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator
I know this is a Skyline thread but, damn ain't she purdy?!
evo.jpg

AjayM

Screenwriter
Eh, it's a cool car, but to import one...well, there's a lot better choices around.
Want to impress the chicks? $90k will buy you a number of different Ferrari's, a few Lamborghini's, just about any Mercedes, etc.
Want to tear it up in the 1/4 mile? $90k...well, that's laughable, give me $9k and I'll show you tail-lights every single time...and I'll spend the other $81k on expensive audiophile speaker cables :D
Want to rip around a race track? Viper! Sorry to say that the Skyline would get torn apart on a race track by a lot of different cars. Even a 2001 Z06 Vette would kill it around a track.
Now if they could bring me a new Skyline and price it like a BMW M3, things would be a little different...but at $90k...not worth it.
Andrew

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
the skyline will rape an nsx in no time ;)
you can get an older R32 pretty cheap (under 40k) and the R32 is the lightest, fastest, and considered to be the best handling skyline (I can give you the email of a guy on the east coast that has one if you're seriously interested.. he can tell you all about it)
the only place to buy one that I know of is motorex
people don't/can't convert them to left hand drive because of hte engine configuration, I believe the turbos get in the way of the steering shaft or something, not to mention you'd need a custom dash made, a mirror of the original.. unless a 240sx dash could be made to fit, there's a guy someone claiming he did a LHD conversion but no one believes he's for real.
the "skyline" they're bringing to the us is sketchy, I've seen pix and it's the sedan, and not the GTR, but I've also seen pix of the new design and it's pretty similar to the new Z, I dunno if we'll get either, both or neither.
comparing a lancer EVO to a skyline is like a civic SI to a toyota supra.. no comparison :)
also the details on the USM lancer are sketchy too.. it won't have the power of the JDM car I'm sure.. maybe 20hp less.

Chris Bedard

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, MotoRex is the only US importer of Skylines. Yes, they are a bit pricey, but few if any cars can match a Skyline's performance with a few modest upgrades (read $10,000.00 additional for turbo upgrades and suspension parts) and you can have a race prepped car with over 600 hp that will smoke just about anything out there.
The latest issue of Road & Track has pics and some info of the R35 GTR concept car. It will not carry the Skyline name because it will not be based on the Skyline platform at all. It will most likely be sold in the US as an Infinity G35. Odds are it will most likely use a V8 instead of the TT inline 6. But, based on the pictures of the concept car, it will be absolutely UGLY. They are killing the image of Nissan's premier automible with the new design. Ugh....makes me sick to see it.
About a year ago, Import Tuner did a rolling dyno of a stock R33. It put out 343 horsepower to the wheels. Figure with a 4wd system and a 20% powertrain and drive train loss, and you are looking at nearly 400 horsepower at the crank. And considering the wonderfully advanced ATESSA 4WD system (it even lets the driver set how much power goes to the front and rear via the onboard computer, from up to 80% front/20% rear, to 20% front/80% rear or anywhere inbetween), I would pick this car over many other cars.
Of course, one of my goals in life is to own an R34 GTR V-Spec II, so I'm a little biased. But I know I won't buy another car until I can afford one, so I'll be stuck with my current car for a while. :D

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Want to tear it up in the 1/4 mile? $90k...well, that's laughable, give me $9k and I'll show you tail-lights every single time...and I'll spend the other $81k on expensive audiophile speaker cables
I don't quite understand this, what amazing car can I get with just nine thou? Also, from what I understand and have seen, skylines, much like supras are incredibly easy to mod to insanely powerful levels, and can readily be called worthy competition to the likes of a poorer handling Viper and such.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Also, from what I understand and have seen, skylines, much like supras are incredibly easy to mod to insanely powerful levels, and can readily be called worthy competition to the likes of a poorer handling Viper and such.
I think what he is saying is that those of us who know how to make an internal combustion engine work (and I mean WORK!), can get insane power levels out of "ordinary" vehicles.
Take the Z06 Corvette- I could get 550hp out of the LS6 motor while still being naturally aspirated. Add a supercharger, turbo, or nitrous, and watch out. The Vette can hardly be called poor handling- it pulls over 1g on the skidpad.
I'll give you one thing, though- the turbo cars are easy to get more power out of. Take the old Buick Grand Nationals- add a chip, bump the wastegate up, and boom- 30 psi boost, and over 500hp. Enough to send that love boat down the 1/4 in 11.90. Don't try to turn in that car, though.:)
Todd

Chris Derby

Second Unit
I don't quite understand this, what amazing car can I get with just nine thou?
Probably was thinkin' a modded (very used) Mustang or a (used) purpose built drag car. $9K doesn't go very far (um, quick) unless it's a motorcycle. But then again, Mustangs and purpose built drag cars can't turn to save their life. Motorcycles could do the trick at the track, but you lose out on all-wheel drive and a lot of comfort. BTW, before you motorcycle guys start raggin' on me, I'm a rider too...
Also, probably the closet thing you could compare a Skyline to is a turbo Porsche. A base turbo (AWD) 911 starts at $115,000. I just spec'd out one on Porsche's website that came out to $123.890,00. A (RWD) GT2 start at $179,900. That in mind, some people would say that $90K is a bargain. :)

AjayM

Screenwriter
Also, probably the closet thing you could compare a Skyline to is a turbo Porsche. A base turbo (AWD) 911 starts at $115,000. I just spec'd out one on Porsche's website that came out to $123.890,00. A (RWD) GT2 start at $179,900. That in mind, some people would say that $90K is a bargain.
Riiiight. A regular Porsche 911 would tear up a stock Skyline. Here's the specs on a couple of Skylines...
R33 specifications as tested by Car and Driver December 1995
Horsepower 276 bhp @ 6800 rpm
Torque 271 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm
Acceleration
0-40 mph 2.7
0-60 mph 5.3
0-80 mph 9.1
0-100 mph 12.9
0-1320 ft (1/4 mile) 14.0 @ 104 mph
Braking
From 70 mph 159 ft
Handling
300 ft skidpad 0.94 g
Interior Noise
Idle in neutral 47 dBA
Full throttle acceleration 81 dBA
70 mph cruising 72 dBA
70 mph coasting 71 dBA
R34 Specifications as tested by Road and Track February 1999
Horsepower 277 bhp @ 6800 rpm
Torque 293 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm
Acceleration
0-40 mph 2.7
0-60 mph 5.2
0-80 mph 8.7
0-100 mph 13.0
0-1320 ft (1/4 mile) 13.7 @ 103.5 mph
Braking
From 60 mph 120 ft
From 80 mph 204 ft
Handling
200 ft skidpad 0.89 g
700 ft slalom 60.8 mph
Fuel Economy
Normal Driving 22.8 mpg
Interior Noise
Idle in neutral 52 dBA
Maximum 1st gear 78 dBA
70 mph 76 dBA
There are quoted from non-other than http://www.skylinegtr.com/ (Motorex!)
I mean a stock Camaro Z28 SS is going to show tail-lights to those numbers.
Should I mention the numbers of cars costing closer to $90k? Like the Porsche 911, or the Viper?
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks