Gear hidden in another room - Experience and pics?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Philip Hamm, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Hello. My new house has a nook where I plan on putting my home theater set-up in the finished basement. Right behind where the screen will be is a storage room. I am considering getting an IR repeater and putting my gear in the storage room so that all you see when you sit in the room is the TV and speakers.

I know lots of people have done this, I want to know your experiences. Specifically:

1) Is it a PITA to go into another room and change discs?

2) Please post links to pics - I want to see what this kind of clean set-up looks like.

3) Problems with the IR repeater?

4) Do you have some of your media players in the front? I was thinking of having a small rack with my LaserDisc player and DVD player in the room, and everything else in the back.

5) Any dust problem using an unfinished basement storage room for your system?

I especially want to see pictures and read experiences.

2. Jacques C

Jacques C Stunt Coordinator

Philip,

No experiences as I am currently building my equipment rack, but from everything I have read you really do want the IR distribution system to be a hard-wired system. A lot of folks have had trouble with the pyramid repeaters.

Take care.

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    In my old theater I had all the components in the closet completely out of the way and unseen. I used an IR repeater for control. I did not like this for the main reason of not being about to adjust setting and being able to see equipment displays. Quite often I find myself adjusting volumes, bass settings and such. It's tough to do by ear only. Other than that, it worked great and I had not problems with the repeaters.

It was more of a PITA than anything else.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

4. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

My gear is in a closet at the rear of the room. I say its a 50/50 Sweet/Sour setup.

As Ron stated adjusting settings tends to be difficult. When I get my next receiver I hope it will have On Screen Display.

My cables cost prob 2-3 times more than having everything close to my display. Running Custom Component Video, S-Video and Audio Cables 25-30 feet costs quite a bit more than 2 meter cables.

Changing DVD's is not a big deal for me because I do not have to leave the room. If I had to leave the room walk down a hallway enter another room..... [​IMG]

Super clean appearance of your room can be achieved by hiding your gear. Though some people like to show it off.

Another + for me is it keeps the 10 little mini-me (version 1.5) fingers off my gear.

Is there a way to build a cabinet in the storage area that opens to your theater space? That would be the best of both worlds.

Maybe Erik Farstad will chime in with his experiences... he had a built in equipment rack that opened to his theater and recently sealed it up. Erik are you out there [​IMG]

Good Luck!

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

6. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

I've got a 2-part reply--

I built a "fake wall" in front of the real wall at the end of my room. All components are built into the wall, including the 50" RPTV. Components and media are stored in built-in cabinets that are flush-mounted to the wall and accessible via hinged doors (wooden frames) covered with speaker grille cloth (for IR penetration, in addition to allowing easy access to the gear). Speakers (LF, RF, and C, in addition to the TV's built-in speakers) are all behind grille cloth doors, as well. The LF and RF speaker doors are actually hinged (exactly like the component/media doors), so that I can walk back into the area behind the wall. In order to accomplish all this fluch-mounting (without trim/moulding), I used 1/2" MDF, rather than drywall for the wall surface. This allowed for a smooth transition to the MDF cabinetry. If you want to go with drywall, your best option is to cover the surface with fabric, so that transitions are basically hidden (I think Erik used this technique).

You'll have to check out my HT site, to see what I'm talking about. The page points to a QuickTime Virtual Reality movie of the room.... if you can't get it to work, you'll have to download a browser plug-in. Instructions are on the page.

Now.... part 2--- I am redesigning my HT after only 2 years. I am moving to a front projector with a fixed screen. In order to do what I want, I've decided to tear down this "fake wall" in the front of my HT. [​IMG] There are a LOT of nice details in this front wall, including a hide-away trundle bed... but I've decided to do it. To address the "IR issue", as well as the "component access" issue, I'm considering placing the components (and front speakers) behind acoustically transparent curtains. Not sure if it'll fly just yet, but that's in my current plans. If anyone has had problems doing this (or have done it successfully), I'd be interested to hear comments.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Very impressive Mike. I love the 3D tour. How did you do that?

As far as FP goes, that room screams for it. I had to do a ton of demo when I went FP, it's still on-going but well worth it. I cannot image going back to a TV.

Good luck, have fun and keep us updated.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

8. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Thanks, Ron.

Here's the thread that discusses the "3D tour"... it's actually a panoramic QT movie:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...22#post1391322

Unfortunately, I have plenty of other photos, including some construction pics, but as is typical, I've yet to find the time to develop a more thorough site (like Erik's).... I actually have the web project thoroughly planned, but just haven't had the time to actually make it happen.

I'm planning to document my redesign, as well... maybe it'll all come together as I move the rebuild project along. Right now, I'm just in a holding pattern, waiting to see what happens to the Optoma H76 (and others) to hit the market and the impending H2 FP price drop (or so they predict). I haven't done any actual construction as yet, because I don't want the room to be all torn up for too long.

Philip--
    Here's the link to a thread discussing Erik's "in-wall" implementation (as well as mine):
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=129181